Sponsored by:

Clutch Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 02:14 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Clutch Recommendations?

When I purchased my 993 about 7 months ago my PPI disclosed a failing clutch or slave cylinder. I was told I could get about 10K more miles on it if I drove it gently. Well forget that! So in less that 5K miles the clutch is finally about gone.

With 54K miles on my car i am now looking to upgrade to a heavy duty/performance clutch. My local hero.. I mean mechanic is looking into options for me but I want to hear from the gang here what you think.

Thanks!

Sean
Old 11-01-2001, 02:49 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I strongly recommend that you upgrade to the RSCS lightweight flywheel and clutch setup. The engine revs much quicker and the drivability is the same. Read all about it here:

Robin's Light Weight Flywheel FAQ
Old 11-01-2001, 02:59 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Viken's advice is right on target.

For the '96-on OBDII cars, there are no stalling issues as the DME handles this upgrade with aplomb,.........

I would say that this is a no-brainer for the increase in durability and overall performance. I am really uncomfortable installing a dual-mass anymore as we do not see the same longevity as the single-mass RS one, given how people drive these cars.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:12 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Viken and Steve,

How does the RS lightweight flywheel and clutch compare in cost to the standard equipment dual mass flywheel and clutch setup? Also, is the RS clutch different than a turbo clutch?

Thanks,

Richard
Old 11-01-2001, 03:16 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Steve - what about the 95 993s - what do you recommend?
Old 11-01-2001, 03:29 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by RAK:
<STRONG>How does the RS lightweight flywheel and clutch compare in cost to the standard equipment dual mass flywheel and clutch setup? Also, is the RS clutch different than a turbo clutch?</STRONG>
I was told that the single-mass flywheel is less expensive that the dual-mass unit from the dealer. As to the clutch, the Turbo disc is different and is designed to handle more torque. Not sure about the drivability, though. My car has the RS heavy duty clutch which was installed in the 300 HP cars and has been working very well.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:41 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Richard & ZCAT:

I no longer install the dual-mass flywheel and clutch kits due to the unacceptable failure rate and relatively poor longevity (IMHO) when these cars are subjected to hard starts. I simply hate repairing/replacing the same things over again.

I don't know off-hand what the stock stuff costs. The RS flywheel clutch kit we sell and use is comprised of the single-mass flyhweel, the RS Sport disc, Pressure plate, TO Bearing ,Pilot bearing and shorter guide tube. The RS Sport disc is the same one we use in high-HP Twin-Turbo's.

The 95 and earlier cars are much more prone to the stalling issues and this can be solved in software. They will stall occasionally without a special chip or using the Andial-modified version which is heavier than the RS ones. Those fellows added some additional weight back into the RS flywheel to dampen the tendency to stall in these 964 & '95 993 cars that can do that.

Hope this helps,
Old 11-02-2001, 01:27 AM
SeanD
Instructor

So getting the RS Lightweight clutch for my '95 993 seems to be the best solution?
Old 11-02-2001, 03:48 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally posted by SeanD:
<STRONG>So getting the RS Lightweight clutch for my '95 993 seems to be the best solution?</STRONG>
Hi Sean:

Only if you solve the inherent-occasional stalling by either getting a chip that is programmed for the RS setup or using the heavier Andial one that has had weight added back onto it.

It WILL make the car more fun to drive and solve the chronic dual-mass failure issues for you.
Old 11-03-2001, 12:13 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks to Steve and Viken for responding.

Richard (RAK)
Old 11-03-2001, 12:40 PM
Redlined993
AutoX

Hey Sean,

I completely agree with Viken and Steve, I have a '95 993 with the RS clutch and flywheel setup. The engine has been chipped (otherwise bone stock), however it was before i added the flywheel/clutch upgrade. After the upgrade the car revs much more quickly! I have noticed that the car will stall every now and then but without making any adjustments i experience this only very infrequently in the pits. The car is a track car only though and I would follow Steve's advice about rechipping to avoid the stalling problem on the street.
Old 11-04-2001, 08:40 PM
Mike Lincoln
Intermediate

I have a 1995 C4 with 69,000 miles and the original clutch. How much longer should I expect it to last (I am a gentle driver)? Who can install this RS clutch and new chip (in Utah area) when I need one, and about how much does it cost compared to the regular clutch, which seems quite satisfactory so far? I'm assuming the local dealer doesn't install anything but bone-stock parts....

Thanks, Mike
Old 11-05-2001, 01:31 AM
Steve in SLO
Advanced

Sean,
You might also want to consider a 993TT pressure plate. I did the LWFW and consider it a great conversion. For me, though, the TT pressure plate really put the icing on the cake. It requires about 30% more pedal effort than stock (kind of like an early 80's Carrera), but it clamps in a very positive way...no clutch slip/spin. Price is near what a stock PP costs.

Quick Reply: Clutch Recommendations?