Too much torque - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 12:14 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Post Too much torque - help needed

When the ambient temperature drops below 55degF, my dynoed 757NM becomes more like 820+NM and the organic clutch disc in the GT2 clutch I have starts to slip as peak torque is hit @ just over 4000rpm. With the cold weather approaching in the UK I have had a sintered disc with torsion springs (courtesey of Todd Knighton -Protomotive) fitted. There is no doubt that this disc is up to the job - no slip.
Problem is the car is now a pig to drive, the combination of grab and ultra free revving motor means starting off in 1st gear is very hit or miss, and too often miss leaving me stalled in a queue of traffic ! Am I after the impossible, a progressive clutch which can handle big torque ?
Has anyone any experience which could help ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:11 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts
TB;

You have started the vicious cycle of glazing your clutch. The heat generated has possibly reduced the clamping force of your pressure plate. You might have to switch to a kevlar/ceramic or kevlar/copper disk and a new pressure plate. The disadvantage to these setups is there is no forgiveness. They hook up right now with no slippage.

Quick Reply: Too much torque - help needed