Sponsored by:

Quiet turn signal blinker

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 11:09 PM
neunelf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Quiet turn signal blinker

I am not sure if other 993 owners have the same symptom my '96 Carrera has but when I put on my turn signal the clicking sound is so quiet that it is hardly audible. Otherwise it works properly.
Often what has been happening is I will put the signal on for lane changing, or taking turns less than 90 degrees, and forget to tap it off until much further down the road when I see the blinker on the tach still flashing. My hearing is still very good so that is not the root of this embarrassing problem.
Is this typical on 993's? Or is mine just having a slow death?
Does any one know of where to get an accessory that increases the volume of the 'click'. I do remember seeing such a thing years ago but can't find it now that I need it.
Thanks.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:33 PM
993 4S
Intermediate

My dad has a '96 C4S and I too notice that the turning signal is barely auidble. When changing lanes on the highway especially, I've often had to look twice to make sure I was actually signaling.
Old 11-01-2001, 12:22 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

As a new 993 owner, i noticed this when driving my 993 home for the first time. I was signaling right for 30 minutes and had no idea - pray for those behind me.

Is there anything to raise the signal volume?

=rob
Old 11-01-2001, 02:54 AM
SeanD
Instructor

It's like that on all 993s. Mine does the same thing... the exhaust and music combination renders the clicking noise on the turn signal worthless to me anyway...

Sean
Old 11-01-2001, 04:39 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Hi

I have a 964 and the wife constantly telling me to cancel my signals and there's nothing wrong with my hearing, "what's that love, turn the TV down, OK"

Regards
Rob
Old 11-01-2001, 06:23 AM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The reason for this is that the relay is in the trunk (boot, what ever) at the front, rather than other cars where it is inside the passenger compartment.

If its not loud enough for you, why not just wire in a second relay inside the car to click at you
Either that or buy a lights on buzzer and wire that in. If thats too loud stick some tape over the little speaker grill to damp it down.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:35 AM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

My '95 car's turn signal sound was pretty loud. I noticed they must have "silenced" it on the '96+ MY cars since my '98 has a nice quiet signal sound. I definitely prefer the later, but hate the new horn! I think the newer horn sounds like something reminiscent of a Buick! Give me back that 911 horn!

-Matt
Old 11-01-2001, 12:28 PM
neunelf
Racer

I like the idea of wiring in a second relay somewhere in the cabin, possibly behind the tachometer. I wouldn't care if the relay was connected to the four way flashers but just the turn signals.

Do anyone have any tips on the part number of this relay and which wires to tap off of and, onto the relay.

I am sure I have many supporters in my town that would like for me to do this DIY.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:21 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
Maybe you should try removing the pvc cover of the turn signal relay to see if there is an audible increase.
If that's the case, you could drill holes in the pcv cover.

The turn signal relay is under the dashboard on the left side, behind the fuel- /oil level gauge.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:33 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"...great for hearing-impaired persons and prevent embarrassment of driving with turn signal on."

Somehow, I just knew JC Whitney would have the answer:

I'm sure its $10 Musical Turn-signal Flasher, which plays "Love Me Tender," and "easy three-wire hookup" can be adapted to work on our P-cars. Maybe Robin can put together a DIY

JC Whitney - where else could you find this stuff?????

Quick Reply: Quiet turn signal blinker