Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Stereo - really bad? Recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 10:57 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 993 Stereo - really bad? Recommendations...

I quickly noticed that the stock Becker stereo in the 993 is terrible. Im not an audiophile, but want to upgrade the stereo as well as add a CD player. Is it the stereo unit or the speakers? Without going crazy (it shouldnt take too much to fill a small cabin with acceptable sound), what would you guys recommend that will be compatible and fit into the dash?

Please dont respond that "the only music you should hope to hear is the motorsport sound engine at 7000rpm"

Thank you very much.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:54 PM
neunelf
Racer

Rob,
The very first thing I would do is change the rear speakers. The stock ones that came with the car were pitiful.
If you want to stay with the standard 4x6 size I can recommend the Blaupunkt PCxi462 speakers. They mad a big difference when I put them in my car. Crisper sound but also much more volume, which was important for me since I kept the original head unit (CDR-210). They were 59.95 from Crutchfield.
Brad
Old 11-01-2001, 12:18 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm about to change the rear standard speakers with the two-way rear speakers of the M490 "Sounds System".
Even if they aren't a big improvement in sound quality, they certainly will look better than the standard speakers.

Old 11-01-2001, 12:20 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
I built a inexpensive setup in my old '88 911; but when I got my 993, it had about 3k in stereo equip already there. But for what I spent on my old one, I thought it just as good.

I bought the 6.5" mb quart speaker separates; they were about $450 for the pair but well worth it. The 6.5" has much more capability than the 5.25 stock size. My new car has the boston acoustic equivalent, but mb is much better. To save money, I negated the rear speakers, so I could bi-amp my radio unit (uses all 4 channels to drive only 2 speakers) so I wouldn't have to buy an amp. Buy yourself a decent cd head unit, and you're set.

I went one step further, and bought a subwoofer to go behind the seat, and a small amp to power it. All toll, I spent less than $1000, and it sounds as good as the $3000 system I have now.

David
Old 11-01-2001, 01:13 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

I guess I would try for a different approach. I wanted an in-dash minidisc receiver, so I changed the OE in-dash unit for a Kenwood KMD-44. Nice looking tasteful unit (looks OE), better power and much better sound. If you want a CD in-dash unit, might try the Kenwood KDC-516S; looks like similar features and display. Might go to Crutchfield site for a look-see (www.crutchfield.com)

Note - car is a stock '95 993 with standard speakers. Personally, I don't feel the OE unit has the power or quality to power high-end speakers.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:10 AM
Ric
Intermediate

Check out http:/www.caraudioinnovations.com . There is a lot of good info on installing an aftermarket system in 993s. I put a Kenwood head unit, Kenwood CD changer in the trunk, MTX amp (put under passenger seat, replacing original), focal speakers in the door, and Kenwood speakers in rear. I also used a sub woofer and enclosure on the passenger side. Overall, a tremendous improvement. I also installed the entire unit without cutting any wires by getting creative with spade terminals and pin connectors, making my own harnesses to fit the original factory harnesses. I should be able to put the factory back in should the need arise.Car Audio Innovations
Old 11-01-2001, 10:42 AM
arthur993
7th Gear

My 993 came w/ hifi option- I replaced the front 51/4 with JL audio 51/4s. Then removed amp and replaced with a soudstream 5 channel- 35X 4 1X120. I had a box built for over the rear seats w 2 8 inch alpine woofers. The stock stereo can't really put out adequate bass while in motion. With clean power to the factory speakers and limiting them to frequencies above 150htz, they sound good. If I need the back seat I just unplug the speaker box and remove.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:27 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Silver Bullet:
<STRONG>Question: Is the HiFi stereo that much better than stock? I'm in the market for a 993 and was wondering if I should care at all if this option was installed or not. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I would like a decent sound.</STRONG>
The M490 Hi-Fi option is quite a bit of an improvement over standard but nothing too special. The main advantage is you get different door panels which allow you to install better speakers without modifications and better rear speakers for fill. My car had the option and I had the amp and front speakers replaced while leaving the head unit alone. The sound improvement was considerable.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:45 PM
A.J. - 95 993
Racer

Check out my web page, and click on the picture of the stereo on the right. Not only does the system sound incredible, I didn't break the bank, either.A.J.'s Porsche Page
Old 11-01-2001, 09:39 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Silver Bullet.
As regards options, there is also DSP. I wont say that it really improves sound quality significantly but it is bundled with hifi as an option in my car and it seems to be quite an improvement over stock. I have not had the benefit of listening in hifi-only equipped cars. But, hifi plus DSP is pretty good for what one could get in a car in those 993 model years. Admittedly aftermarket systems could beat this sound quality very easily but I found this option combo an adequate compromise.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:47 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

I asked Rod at Car Audio Innovations whether 993s with or without the Hi Fi option were easier to upgrade and he said:

"I prefer the non-hi fi models, they're actually easier to upgrade. A non-hifi car is definitely a plus on the 993. (On the 996, however, it would mean not having a door speaker location-definitely bad!)

the hi fi 993 option has a funky large map pocket cover on the door panel with a 3 way set, odd sized midrange, and the rear speakers on the rear deck are an odd size too, and hard to replace.

I say go for the 993 without, it's actually a plus in this case!"
Old 11-01-2001, 11:23 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Silver Bullet:
<STRONG>My guess is that HiFi w/DSP would be good enough for me. My '01 530i w/DSP is considered awful by the audiophiles, but it's fine for me. I don't have a critical ear, but I use the DSP for certain types of music.</STRONG>
FWIW, the DSP in the 993 cannot be compared to the one in the BMW. The BMW's has a lot more punch and clarity. However, this doesn't mean that you won't be happy with it.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:42 AM
SeanD
Instructor

Thumbs up

My '95 had the DSP option and the DSP box itself died last month. The head unit would stay on, but the sound would cut out. I have an aftermarket Alpine CD and CD changer(older 1995 technology) head unit that has 35x4 power that was not being used. There is an adapter that Porsche sells but is hard to find that allows the Alpine to plug right into the factory equipment without any splicing. Very clean installation. I could still use the factory amp and DSP system with the Alpine unit.

Since the DSP died I needed to figure out what to do. The solution for me was to have an installer run signal wires from the head unit's on board amp to the speaker wire locations at under the passenger's seat where the factory amp is located. Simply splicing into the existing wires that run to the factory crossovers for the tweeters and midrange speakers and by-passing the factory amp was actually (to my surprise) a great sounding system! I was trying to get a quick fix for a trip to Atlanta from Florida and back and I was going to have the factory amp replaced with an aftermarket unit when I got back. I'm so impressed with the sound I'm just going to leave it as it is. Loud and clear enough for me!

If I change anything at all it will be to swap out the head unit for one with a volume **** (I hate the buttons) and a bit more power and features. Alpine makes a 60x4 head unit (peak by the way rated differently than amps) with a **** volume. Should sound fine.

Start with a new head unit. If that doesn't thrill you, change the speakers, then if you still crave more, add a new amp.

Just my $.02

Sean

Quick Reply: 993 Stereo - really bad? Recommendations...