993 Forum 1995-1998

Alternator Pulley Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 07:43 PM
Jeff 993Turbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Alternator Pulley Update

I got all my belts changed and the alternator pulley update installed.

I had a question about the install though. In the TSB, it states that you do not need the outer alternator shaft spacer anymore. The one closest to the 24mm nut. But you still need to install the inner spacer, the one closest to the fan pulley.

For clarification, the spacers are the two things that go on the _outside_ of the pulley halves. They are quarter sized and rounded on the edge.

However, when we put the inner spacer and the updated pulley on, the fan belt angle was pretty severe, definately not straight relative to the fan belt. Additionally, the outer pulley would have been on the threads of the alternator shaft and not the smooth portion.

When we installed the pulley update without the inner spacer, the belt angle was perfect. It didn't really matter if the outer spacer was installed or not.

Has anybody else done the alternator update and can comment on this? Did Porsche screw up on their TSB documentation and switch the outer and inner spacer? Maybe I read the documentation wrong?

Also, Robin, here are the correct sizes for the belts for a TT that you can use to update your web site.

Fan 9.5 x 760
Alt 9.5 x 753 ( 9.5 x 757 with pulley update )
AC 13 x 1085

Jeff

ps, fyi, chiseling off a bolt was a great trick to get the flywheel pulley off when we stripped the bolts. Sounds scary, but it isn't. You just use a sharpened chisel and tap the side of the head of the bolt, a bit off center, so that it unscrews. The chisel should be at enought of an angle to dig into the head. It destroys the bolt, but gets it off quick! Expecially working in the tight confines of the TT, it was almost easier than using the socket wrench!
Old 07-13-2001, 09:28 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Jeff,

I had the same issue after I made the pulley update on my car, but I went with my instinct I lined the belts up. If you look at the new pulley update you will notice that the new pulley integrated the spacers into the pulley as a one piece part, so you will not need to use the old spacer.

Thanks for the part numbers

Robin
Old 07-13-2001, 10:20 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff,

Robin is correct. The new pulley has the spacer built in. It's very obvious when you put the new one on. It's a better design.

Rick
Old 07-14-2001, 01:56 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Jeff/Robin, haven't chiseled off a bolt, but have drilled a small pilot hole in the side of the bolt head and then used a center punch to knock the bolt loose. Angle the center punch to the side so that you are forcing the bolt towards the loosen direction.

Have also taken a small pipe wrench on the bolt head and clobbered the wrench handle with a hammer to remove the bolt.

Robin, I send you this description, as I remember.
Old 07-14-2001, 04:14 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys.. That's that I thought. It didn't make sense to have the inner spacer, so we left it off. It is just frustrating that the TSB states that it should be in there.

If they make TSB, then they should verify that it should be accurate. Seesh!

Jeff

Quick Reply: Alternator Pulley Update