Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

exhaust tips

Old 07-11-2001, 05:11 PM
tc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post exhaust tips

I'm looking for some exhaust tips to replace the brownish looking ones on my 1996 993tt. I'd like some larger, maybe rounder, ones than the ones I have. Any suggestions? Chrome is good, but I would also be interested in a polished finish that matches the wheels... Thanks
Old 07-11-2001, 05:22 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is option X54 that was installed by Porsche at the factory:

You can get them from: www.carnewal.com
Old 07-11-2001, 09:52 PM
Richard C4S
Instructor

I got the same German chrome tips from Joe Fabiani at Fabspeed.com within a week and am very pleased with the big ovals on my C4S.
Richard
Old 07-11-2001, 10:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 337 Posts
Thumbs down

THe originator of the post has a 993 TT so this will not apply. But for those of us with narrow body 993, and wishing to add on TT tips and or Sound Package tips from a wide body, I have been told by a source none other than Viken Bedrossian himself, that wide body tips will not fit on a narrow body car. I don't want to believe him so I am going to see if they fit in spite of the sage like advice from Viken. My "gut" tells me that Viken is correct, aw shucks! I will post the results, soon.

If I were to by a 993 TT, all my tip troubles would be over! Come on Lottery!!!
Old 07-11-2001, 10:07 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Martin,

Viken is right the wide body tips have offsets to accomodate the wide body rear bumper cover, which have wider exhaust tip in between opening.

Although the twin turbos also have the wider bumper cover but it uses the standard narrow body tips.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:24 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by schacht993:
<STRONG>THe originator of the post has a 993 TT so this will not apply. But for those of us with narrow body 993, and wishing to add on TT tips and or Sound Package tips from a wide body, I have been told by a source none other than Viken Bedrossian himself, that wide body tips will not fit on a narrow body car. I don't want to believe him so I am going to see if they fit in spite of the sage like advice from Viken. My "gut" tells me that Viken is correct, aw shucks! I will post the results, soon.

If I were to by a 993 TT, all my tip troubles would be over! Come on Lottery!!!
</STRONG>
schact993,
Regarding narrowbody tips fitting widebody 993s, I too know of someone in my area who bought the narrowbody tips, unknowingly in this case, and could not get it to fit his widebody C4S.
Cheers

tc,
I have no idea about the fitment differences, if any, between TT tips versus normally aspirated 993 tips but since you asked about your options.... If you click on my "signature" you will see the B&B tips on my car. Frankly I have mixed feelings about the tips since I am mostly a stock look (or upgraded stock look) person but my muffler and tips are B&B courtesy of the previous owner and so, for now, its there!! It does have a certain aggressive look and there is no browning though I have to say that I have only about 2K miles since its installation as the previous owner installed it only a few months before selling the car to me. I certainly prefer it over the stock ones since they stain terribly. Let us know what you decide and please post a pic since I wanted to see how some of the various alternatives looked like though i dont think I want to make any changes immediately.
Best of luck.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:59 PM
D.G..
Instructor

The large oval chrome tips on Vikens car are avaliable in narrow body offsets also. They can be purchaced through your local Porsche Dealer as part of the Motor Sound Package or as separate items. I've had mine for over two years and there has been no yellowing.

Dave
Old 07-11-2001, 11:07 PM
tc
Intermediate

Ran....
My car is also silver. Yours looks good. Has yours been lowered? seems to sit lower on the wheels than mine. As far as the exhaust tips go, I think I'll stick with the factory option like on Viken's. They look much better than the brown ones on my silver car! Will post pictures when complete.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:29 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by tc:
<STRONG>Ran....
My car is also silver. Yours looks good. Has yours been lowered? seems to sit lower on the wheels than mine. As far as the exhaust tips go, I think I'll stick with the factory option like on Viken's. They look much better than the brown ones on my silver car! Will post pictures when complete.</STRONG>
Good choice. I like the idea of upgraded factory stuff.
Yes, suspension is lower - Eibach springs and Bilstein adjustable gas struts and more. I like my ride height. Seems to work just fine as far as I can tell for now. Tyre sidewall is not hidden by fender and a small gap exists so lowering is not overdone per my looks requirement (since I dont like the totally slammed down look too much personally where there is zero gap or where tyre sidewall is hidden partially by fender). Ride is great from my point of view.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:37 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tc,

Since your car is silver, I thought I'd post this pic of the factory oval pipes on my car.

Old 07-12-2001, 11:35 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Dave '95 Cab:
<STRONG>The large oval chrome tips on Vikens car are avaliable in narrow body offsets also. They can be purchaced through your local Porsche Dealer as part of the Motor Sound Package or as separate items. I've had mine for over two years and there has been no yellowing.</STRONG>
You are correct in terms of the same tips being available in both narrow and wide body versions.

For the record, the big oval tips shown above were not part of the M159 Motor Sound Package unless a dealer chose to sell them as such. They were a separate option X54 ($697) or part of Aluminum and Chrome Package Y29 ($2075).

My car came with the M159 Motor Sound Package which includes a chrome-plated version of the plain square '96-on tips as pictured here:

Old 07-12-2001, 02:44 PM
billystang
6th Gear

i have two brand new crome tips ,from my fabiani echxaust.the tips not fit in my bumper style ,u can have them for $80.00 plus ship.you can see those at fabspeed.com
Old 07-13-2001, 06:52 PM
D.G..
Instructor

Viken wrote :
For the record, the big oval tips shown above were not part of the M159 Motor Sound Package unless a dealer chose to sell them as such. They were a separate option X54 ($697) or part of Aluminum and Chrome Package Y29 ($2075).
Ouch! I paid $250 for the exhaust tips and factory motor sound airbox cover at Carleson Porsche in Palo Alto and I thought I was being ripped off. Now I don't feel so bad.

Dave
Old 07-13-2001, 07:54 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Dave '95 Cab:
<STRONG>Ouch! I paid $250 for the exhaust tips and factory motor sound airbox cover at Carleson Porsche in Palo Alto and I thought I was being ripped off. Now I don't feel so bad. Dave</STRONG>
If you paid $250 for both the airbox cover and tips, you can't possibly have the big oval X54 tips. The lowest and discounted price I have ever seen for these in the US was above $500 by themselves.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:24 PM
D.G..
Instructor

Viken wrote:
If you paid $250 for both the airbox cover and tips, you can't possibly have the big oval X54 tips. The lowest and discounted price I have ever seen for these in the US was above $500 by themselves.
They are the same tips. They were clearing out some 993 inventory that had been on their shelves for too long. Did I tell you about the $1800 padded Techart Roll bar I bought from Suncoast Porsche for $150? (Some people have all the luck.)
Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: exhaust tips