The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

58 from bakersfield to san luis obispo.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:25 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't been on the forum in a while....new job, new baby and I stopped doing "fun runs" and starting racing!

As Chris mentioned you need to get out to Willow Springs or at least to an autocross. The 944 spec class is a great one....I am now racing in it! I know this is a 933 group, I am still a 911/993 fanatic, but the track is where you should do your spirited driving!

One ticket, accident or even injury will more than justify the money you spend. We do have some great roads here in So Cal, but we are also just hours away from a bunch of tracks!

I will admit it, I used to look down on the 944's, but they really teach you how to drive. You rely less on the HP and more on carrying momentum and learning braking, downshifting etc.

I am going to get off the soap-box. Love Addison and think the "fun run" is a good idea, but why waste all of the energy and car setup just to fly around on the streets at double and triple the speed limit.

PM me if you have any ?'s on the 944 spec class...for less than 15k you can have a great car, trailer and a bunch of extra parts to boot!
Old 06-28-2004, 02:51 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 88clbsport
I haven't been on the forum in a while....new job, new baby and I stopped doing "fun runs" and starting racing!

As Chris mentioned you need to get out to Willow Springs or at least to an autocross. The 944 spec class is a great one....I am now racing in it! I know this is a 933 group, I am still a 911/993 fanatic, but the track is where you should do your spirited driving!

One ticket, accident or even injury will more than justify the money you spend. We do have some great roads here in So Cal, but we are also just hours away from a bunch of tracks!

I will admit it, I used to look down on the 944's, but they really teach you how to drive. You rely less on the HP and more on carrying momentum and learning braking, downshifting etc.

I am going to get off the soap-box. Love Addison and think the "fun run" is a good idea, but why waste all of the energy and car setup just to fly around on the streets at double and triple the speed limit.

PM me if you have any ?'s on the 944 spec class...for less than 15k you can have a great car, trailer and a bunch of extra parts to boot!
if your talking to me about the 944, its not slow. I have the turbo, and its modded a bit, so in the straights, I'll pull on the NA 993's, but of course, thats not what I'm worried about. I have the car to turn, and learn/enjoy how to do it well. I've been out to buttonwillow in a subaru 2.5 RS, and had the time of my life, i did well with my canyon training, but i dont drive the canyons like i foolishly used to. Still drive em, but more conservativly. their addictive though, and living about 10 minutes away from them is not productive either.
I may be aquiring a 944 NA, and if i do, it will be either a spec car, or just a race car, cause I don't know if i want to follow the spec rules, but we'll see. Should a 20 year old be thinking about building a track car? its a sickness guys, and its only getting worse.
~Eyal
Old 06-28-2004, 05:52 AM
msch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think one of the best roads i've been on in SoCal is in Santa Barbara, it's called E. Camino Cielo.

i don't know if a whole lot of people know about it...but what makes it one of my favorites is that it takes you over into the top of the Santa Ynez Mtns. allowing you to look over Santa Barbara, Montecito, UCSB, Goleta, Carpenteria, *maybe santa cruz islands if not foggy* and of course the ocean. also full of turns.

here's a link of someone describing the road

http://www.sbc-rides.com/StreetRides...erecamino.html

Quick Reply: Slightly OT: Fun Roads in SoCal?