Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Launching .. How do I get best 0-60 in c4s (993)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 05:14 PM
Jim_me
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Launching .. How do I get best 0-60 in c4s (993)

I was wondering for an AWD 993 what have you guys found that works? Is it best to hold rev at 3-4K and drop clutch etc? Do you guys get off gas in between shifts or do you hold gas steady as you shift ...?

Thankyou in advance,
Jimmy
Old 07-12-2001, 05:43 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Jimmy,
I can't comment on the best technique, but I can almost promise you will need a new clutch after you perfect your launch. Too bad I don't sell parts.
Old 07-12-2001, 05:52 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg is 100% right. Since it's an AWD and a N/A engine, you are not going to spin the tires. It's your clutch that's going to suffer. Do it a few times, and you'll replace that clutch.

These cars were never designed to come off of the line hard.

Rick
Old 07-12-2001, 06:12 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Use at your own risk...

One of the mechanics I worked with, when I first got my TT, had serviced the first TT's brought in for the press and to generate 1/4 and 0-60 times. As I recall the cars were put through their paces by Hurley Haywood. He replaced first gear in the demo cars a NUMBER of times within a couple of weeks, due to hard launches. My question to him - What is the hardest launch you can do in the TT without inflicting damage?

His response was to rev to 3500-4000 and release the clutch as quickly as you can, without side-stepping it. I have tried this a few times and get a solid launch - no clutch slip, no wheel spin, just massive acceleration. I have only done this a few times, with no ill effects noticed.

I don't know if this will work well in a NA car. I don't think you can bend 1st gear in a NA car, and even if you spin the clutch a time or two, the glazing will likely burn off with some use (as long as you do not allow it to spin for long). My personal opinion is that you do not have to be afraid to try some resonably hard launches but if you make it a habit, start saving your $$ for a clutch.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:29 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark,
Your story made me think of another way to get better 0-60 times... Borrow someone elses C4S or TT. Kind of like the quickest way to better your lap times is to get a car trailer so you don't worry about getting home
Old 07-13-2001, 01:48 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Simple, sell it to someone who can appreciate fine machinery. Then go out and buy a Firebird or Camaro with the highest torque output engine you can find. If all you care about is 1/4 mile times, that's all you deserve.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:48 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Launching hard does not only trash the clutch guys. The viscous coupling is also getting overworked. By dumping the clutch and racing off the line the viscous coupling is going to lock the front and rear wheels together for a period of time. This is a VERY expensive part to replace in the 993. It is also slower to react both ways than the 964 electro/hydraulic system. More reliable though. Every wondered why Porsche never raced the C4s and made the GT-2 RWD.
Anyway, please keep in mind these additional areas of increased stress and wear. Once offs is not going to do anything but make a habit of it and you are going to be damaging front diffs, viscous couplings as well as clutch and transmissions.
BTW, 993TTs have the same system installed.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: If you are looking to purchase any 993 C4 version then a good PPI is critical and some tests as per the manuals to check for wear may also be in order.
Old 07-13-2001, 02:02 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Jim I don't have any problems with my car leaving or any clutch problems yet!! I have the RSR setup with the carbon kevlar clutch and the only concern of mine is I hope my trans can hold the 700hp V8 and I hate it when I drag the back bumper but it's a lot of fun going fast, good thing for my big reds to bring this monster to a stop. I still can't find a good glass cleaner to remove those bugs on my windshield well I guess at 175mph they stick on the glass like glue good luck

George SWAMP MONSTER
Old 07-13-2001, 02:57 PM
Carlos
Banned

Jim it seems like some of these guys must be democrats. They apparently think that even though you paid for it, you shouldn't be able to do what you want with it. Technique for launching is going to be the same as with any other car. Enough revs to spin the tires long enough for ground speed to come close to wheel speed. If you can't do that currently the only solutions are more power or smaller tires. I don't think these gearbokes can handle shifting on the gas. And IMHO I don't think its too much to ask of a car that is touted as such a high performance machine to launch from a standing start. But beware, questions of this type will not endear you to the five star mob.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:37 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Carlos:
<STRONG>Jim it seems like some of these guys must be democrats. They apparently think that even though you paid for it, you shouldn't be able to do what you want with it. </STRONG>
I don't think anyone said he couldn't do what he wanted with his car. We were just warning him that there were some serious potential damage that he could incur. One of the problems, and even you brought it up: the car has too much grip for the hp.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:52 PM
Carlos
Banned

I beg to differ Greg. Read the post from Ray Calvo. He plainly states that Jim "does not deserve" his car. Well boys like it or not this is America land of the FREE and home of the brave. ANd if you can buy it you deserve it regardless of who it pisses off. And Jim I wish you good luck and success with whatever you want to do with your car.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:54 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I forgot about Ray...
Peace
Old 07-16-2001, 01:45 PM
Jim_me
Track Day

To All Except Ray,
Thanks for the replies. I will not be trying to take off so hard ( dont want to spend $$ on clutches all the time ). Unfortunately I get a lot of streetlight challenges from vettes, new m3's, and suped up audi's ... really hate to let these guys take off on me and all I can say is "lets go on a track". It doesn't right ... Anyway, thankyou!

Ray,
SHUTUP!

Jimmy
Old 07-16-2001, 07:10 PM
993 Zoom
Track Day

Jim, just echoing what Adrian said...my mechanic told me one of his customers exploded his viscous coupling by doing this...cost him thousands! The P-car is simply too well connected.

Quick Reply: Launching .. How do I get best 0-60 in c4s (993)