Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any 993 Targa top experts still around?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 06:11 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Any 993 Targa top experts still around?

Finally getting around to trying to sorting out the targa top issues. The good news is that the glass top is largely functioning fine. The shade is disconnected and missing some parts (slides and slip bearings) but the drive mechanism seems to be OK. The previous owner said he could not keep it working, but I think I identified the main issue: the roof rail interior trim pieces are not in great shape and are jutting into the path of the shade mechanism and putting a thrust on the knock-out lever arms as they come by. I will need to have both refurbed by an upholsterer or replaced. I've got new slides and slip bearings on order.

The main issue with the glass top is that there is quite a lot of vertical play in all 4 "axles" and the roof slaps in its tracks over bumps, especially when it's open. I've checked the axle bolts for proper torque but that doesn't seem to have done the trick. I'm going to recheck that again this week. In addition to that, I'm getting quite a bit of wind noise at the junction between the wind deflector.

Time for the new updated front and rear axle plates?
Old 05-29-2024, 10:15 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Far from an expert but maybe the same issue that I dealt with, see linked thread. It's best to get eyes on the panel when in motion so you have to remove the front and side interior roof trim panels to clearly see the issue.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post16931508

Old 05-30-2024, 12:59 AM
jwong1977
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

If you're on Facebook, I encourage you to join us on the Porsche 993 Targa Club group. I remember that a few members of this group have done work on their tops recently.

Edit: I tried to link the group, but I guess it doesn't work, you'll have to search for it in FB.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:07 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Thanks. I plan to remove the roof trim
panels and probably disassemble the shade mechanism to get good access to the roof.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:08 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by jwong1977
If you're on Facebook, I encourage you to join us on the Porsche 993 Targa Club group. I remember that a few members of this group have done work on their tops recently.

Edit: I tried to link the group, but I guess it doesn't work, you'll have to search for it in FB.
@jwong1977 thanks for the tip I'll do that
Old 05-30-2024, 11:15 AM
DocR
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 51 Posts

I just bought a Targa that had a complete roof-off top restoration. It took several months. It was done at Porsche Beaverton in Portland, OR. The top works flawlessly now. I am not sure whether the techs have PTSD from working on this car but they do have recent knowledge and expertise.

I am hoping I get several good years out of the roof by being careful when I open it (I have read that level ground is ideal), and also using the top mechanism frequently helps too.

The following users liked this post:
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 11:52 AM
Grapeape
Racer

Any pics to share of the work performed? Were any replacement parts, seals, difficult to source? Regarding your last comment recommending frequent use. I think I read somewhere on RL a mechanic's recommendation to a targa owner was to put a 100 in the glove box every time you use the roof, lol.
Old 05-30-2024, 12:18 PM
DocR
Rennlist Member

That sounds about right. I have receipts for about $8k for the refresh. I was also told that some parts are NLA, but I have only had the car a week and I am still going through the binder of service records.

Old 05-30-2024, 12:59 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Can't get any deeper than that!
Old 05-30-2024, 02:00 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by DocR
I just bought a Targa that had a complete roof-off top restoration. It took several months. It was done at Porsche Beaverton in Portland, OR. The top works flawlessly now. I am not sure whether the techs have PTSD from working on this car but they do have recent knowledge and expertise.

I am hoping I get several good years out of the roof by being careful when I open it (I have read that level ground is ideal), and also using the top mechanism frequently helps too.
That's great. Good to know there's at least some level of expertise in the US if needed as these unique cars continue to age.

I don't think I'm that far off from having a happy top. Just need to get rid of the slop in the axles and get those trim pieces addressed and that shade functional again. The TSB floating around has been very helpful.

I am very happy with the car so far, even with the deferred maintenance and teething issues I inherited, and it never fails to start a conversation when I'm out in it.
Old 05-30-2024, 02:05 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by Grapeape
Any pics to share of the work performed? Were any replacement parts, seals, difficult to source? Regarding your last comment recommending frequent use. I think I read somewhere on RL a mechanic's recommendation to a targa owner was to put a 100 in the glove box every time you use the roof, lol.
That was Matt at Targa Porsche Workshop here in Austin. He installed the engine in my Spec 996
Old 05-30-2024, 02:05 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 629 Likes on 366 Posts

please don't capture useful porsche stuff on facebook.

rennlist, pelican, 6speed are the go-to's
Old 05-30-2024, 03:54 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

At the risk of getting OT, I'm no fan of Facebook by any means. I work in the industry and they, including WhatsApp, Messenger and Instagram, are one of the most notorious data collectors & surveillance capitalism abusers in business.

I plan to document the repairs extensively with photos and videos here to try to contribute to the community as I work through the sorting process.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom:
dalves11 (05-30-2024), DocR (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 09:07 PM
DocR
Rennlist Member

@Cogito_Ergo_Zoom I can also share my repair invoices with part numbers etc if that is helpful at some stage. When I picked the car up the previous owner loaded me up with boxes of spares too, so if there's a part that you are looking for I can always see if I might have it.
Old 05-30-2024, 10:10 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Many thanks @DocR. Right now for the shade it looks like I just need new slides and slip bearings.

For the top I'm missing the small rubber stop described in the TSB on the driver's side. And I need to determine if all the drive axles need to be replaced or just need tightening.

I will reach out when I get everything apart.

Quick Reply: Any 993 Targa top experts still around?