Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need help identifying upgraded ECU

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 03:11 PM
Porsche-ah
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry I was reffering to bumpy roads... and needing a spare ECM. Is it because the daughter boards fit so lose that a bump in the road would jar it loose.

Originally Posted by systemsc
Here's one:

Old 04-30-2024, 03:33 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-ah
Sorry I was reffering to bumpy roads... and needing a spare ECM. Is it because the daughter boards fit so lose that a bump in the road would jar it loose.
Yes, you understand now. It's NOT a way to design electronics in an automotive environment for reliability, especially when it's mounted horizontally on a vehicle's vibrating floor.
As some might say, "It's total Mickey Mouse".
http://www.systemsc.com/

Last edited by systemsc; 04-30-2024 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:46 PM
gbooks
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a Mickey Mouse immobilizer delete! This one doesn't have the daughter board attached, so there's no so-called "tuning" done.
Thanks, @systemsc. What gives it away as an immobilizer delete? Is it the board that is mounted vertically on the ECU chassis? Or the pink wire connected to the furthest away pin? (or something different altogether?)

The 993 DME ECM technology didn't use EPROM. It's flash memory in the engine processor chip in the DME ECM. Consider contacting the "tuner" and determine what was really done.
Thanks again, @systemsc. If I knew who the so called "tuner" was, I would have gone that route. Since I acquired the car with the ECU in its current state without information on what was done, I've come to the best source of information I know. (That's Rennlist!)

I appreciate your activity in this thread, and it sounds like you are not a fan of anything outside a stock ECU for a 1996. I tend to agree with you, and still hope to learn more about the current state of my ECU. Additionally, it seems like most / all model year 993 ECUs may be plug and play (programmed properly, of course) with a 1996. Maybe that can be clarified as well.

Originally Posted by pp000830
Hi Gbooks,
ECU Doctors offeres the daughter board option for 1996 OBD-II. Speak to them first and see if it is theirs.
https://www.ecudoctors.com/
Andy
Thanks, Andy (@pp000830). I was already in discussions with ECU Doctors about my entire ECU / Immobilizer / Alarm before I posted. I am still discussing with them now.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:56 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gbooks
Thanks, @systemsc. What gives it away as an immobilizer delete? Is it the board that is mounted vertically on the ECU chassis? Or the pink wire connected to the furthest away pin? (or something different altogether?)

Thanks again, @systemsc. If I knew who the so called "tuner" was, I would have gone that route. Since I acquired the car with the ECU in its current state without information on what was done, I've come to the best source of information I know. (That's Rennlist!)

I appreciate your activity in this thread, and it sounds like you are not a fan of anything outside a stock ECU for a 1996. I tend to agree with you, and still hope to learn more about the current state of my ECU. Additionally, it seems like most / all model year 993 ECUs may be plug and play (programmed properly, of course) with a 1996. Maybe that can be clarified as well.

Thanks, Andy (@pp000830). I was already in discussions with ECU Doctors about my entire ECU / Immobilizer / Alarm before I posted. I am still discussing with them now.
They're the ones who do the mod as shown in your first post. This mod only eliminates the immobilizer function.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:57 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Helped an independent Porsche shop troubleshooting a '96 993 no-start. It turned out to be another modified DME ECM with a daughter board.

The following users liked this post:
Porsche-ah (05-05-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 08:50 PM
gbooks
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@systemsc Thanks for all the information you have provided. The daughter board and pink wire were, as you correctly stated, an immobilizer delete installed in 2016. Additionally, it appears there is no chip in the ECU and it is otherwise stock, which is how it will remain for reliability purposes.

I would also like to thank all the other folks that have replied offering insights and information regarding my question.

Quick Reply: Need help identifying upgraded ECU