Indy Bumpercars,,,errr I Mean Round 5 of Porsche Supercup

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Indy Bumpercars,,,errr I Mean Round 5 of Porsche Supercup

Well, you should have seen these guys today! There were more cars bumping and grinding than what you might see in a topless bar! We watched three cars go abreast! into Turn 1. One was damaged pretty good and out of the race. The Infineon team won the race, but Patrick Long was right on Henzler's tail as the race ended under a caution with the Safety Car coming off the track as they waved the checked flag! Man..... these guys were not giving way at all. I'm waiting for fisticuffs at the Supercup dinner tonight.

Barrichello is on pole with a 1:10:277 - a new track record. Breaking the previous track record set by Mr. Michael some 30 minutes earlier - 1:10:400! Should be fun tomorrow!

Formula BMW was fun to watch as well. The winner was a young man from CA who was all of 15 years old. He's been driving for about 9 MONTHS! No HWFMR membership for this lad!

Saw Dan and some of the team just over from us. Great to meet you guys! Look forward to meeting the Grand Poobah tomorrow!

Toby
Old 06-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toby,
I envy you being there. I have been getting reports by phone by hubby trying to keep up on what is going on with the Porsches. Car #24 is his responsibility and it was involved in an incident with #27 another car in their group. But they are finished with repairs and finalizing the alignment and be ready for tomorrow, Wish I was there but someone had to stay and run the shop.

Laura
Hergesheimer MotorSports
Old 06-20-2004, 12:48 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toby,
One of the Maverick locals, Jim Collier, was invited by Porsche to run his '04 cup car @ Indy. Any idea how he did? I'm in DC and out of the loop.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toby,

There were two guy's with cars maintained by Autometrics in that race too; Steve Johnson and Gary Pennington I was wondering how they faired as well.

It's to bad that for contractual reasons the Supercup race can not be shown on regular television in the United States. As I understand it they are not even allowed to run their in car cameras.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:42 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I also understand the Porsche was making it hard on the US drivers. They announced a few days before the race that they would not help any of the US teams with spares or support. Not a nice thing to do...
Old 06-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Laura
Pro

Not true about providing US support. Yesterday when the #24 car of Gary Becker, US "guest" driver had an incident , he damaged one of the front arms. My husband Mark, went over to Porsche got what he needed and had the car fixed by evening. I'm told the amount of spares brought over was mind boggling.

No in car cameras and no radio communication allowed.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:09 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

TRG had to send lots of extra parts at the last minute for their drivers as they were told that they would not be able to get them from Porsche. So that is what they said before the race. Glad they were not so hard nosed during the event.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Laura
Pro

Bob,
We weren't sure what kind of support we would receive and tried to plan ahead and send all the inventory we had and ordered additional parts about 2 months ago. The Germans were pretty good to the guys back there, knowledge was shared and put to good use.

The Americans didn't do too bad, though they were towards the rear, their times were not that off, I believe I was told 1.5 to 2.5 seconds of the leaders. The time separating the front guys was a breath!

We need to keep working on getting an American series of Supercup with the support of the factory.

Last edited by Laura; 06-20-2004 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Indy Bumpercars,,,errr I Mean Round 5 of Porsche Supercup