Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do swaybars affect ride quality?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 09:07 PM
Buck.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How much do swaybars affect ride quality?

Besides keeping the car flatter do stiffer bars degrade the ride quality?
Old 10-28-2001, 09:34 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Buck:
<STRONG>Besides keeping the car flatter do stiffer bars degrade the ride quality?</STRONG>
Hi Buck:

Good question and I'm glad you asked,..............

Mixed answer: Up to a point, depending upon the bar's diameter, mounting geometry, and wall thickness (if tubular),........ not very much.

After a point, and usually in swaybars intended for full race cars, swaybar sizing will make a negative impact on ride quality.

Since anti-swaybars are tranvserse torsion bars and the larger (stiffer) they become, one wheel's movement and deflection will be transferred to the other side's wheel and the movement will be increasingly felt in the cabin. In the case of bars used on street and mild competition vehicles, these ranges of swaybar diameters and thicknesses usually do not cause ride quality complaints.

Each car's suspension design and geometry is different and the "final answer" lies in what bar is to be used on which car.

If you are considering some adjustable swaybars, please feel free to e-mail me directly and I'll be pleased to offer the benefit of our experience on this.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:30 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Buck:

I agree with what Steve wrote. The stock sways on 993s are pretty weak. I would suggest that you do talk with Steve or another professional before purchasing new sways because you want to make sure you get what you want.

You don't want to hear any squeaking of the bushings, hammering of the centering stops or binding sounds coming from the drop links.

There are some very good, well engineered systems out there and a professional, such as Steve, can help you find one and give you good installation advice.

Good luck with your project, it sounds fun,

Hank Cohn

Quick Reply: How much do swaybars affect ride quality?