Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iimporting a 25 year old 993 from 'the fatherland'...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 10:55 PM
John Schaefer
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Found a low mileage and original condition ‘94 993 no sunroof coupe with LSD 18 months ago in Norway and imported it to Florida. Think the only reason I was able to beat out competing European buyers and purchase was because it was in Norway and not Germany. Took longer and more expensive to ship than other Porsche I’ve purchased from Germany, Switzerland or Austria… Worth the extra effort and the wait and I consider myself lucky.

I look everyday and there’s just no 993 left in Europe on the general market that are worth a **** with under 150K Km. What you see now are lower grade examples selling for the same $$$ nicer examples were fetching a year ago. I think that’s one of the reasons we see US spec and Japanese market cars going back to Europe right now.

Long and short of it… Unless you want a model/equipment that wasn’t available in the US, you’re going to have a tough time finding an example worth the time and expense to import.
The following users liked this post:
Matt Andrews (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 08:09 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

another problem with euro porsche in general is they are either black, blue or silver.... there are a few here and there, red, but the bastion of conservatism is alive and well, at least in that area, and yes, they do get driven....
Old 03-12-2024, 12:14 PM
Stephan Schmidt
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I moved from Germany to the US 10 years ago. I imported my '95 C4 Cabriolet to the US in 2020. I bought that car in Germany in 2008. Of course the car was always registered under my name in Germany. So I didn't had to pay any import taxes to the US. They considered it as a part of my move. I shipped it on a RoRo car carrier. My experience was good. No damage occurred at all. I shipped it from Bremerhaven to Galveston for 1,600 Euro + 400 Dollar for the import broker at that time. The export declaration was included in the 1,600 Euros. I drove the car from Galveston to Colorado. I can confirm that the registration process was easy. I just had to translate the German "Fahrzeugbrief" to English and get an emission test done. That test was different than the normal test because it is a German spec car. But it was very straight forward. They didn't made any adjustments on my fine running car. I got a kind of a data sheet and now I can go to the standard emission test. No other changes were required in Colorado for my 25 year old car. I kept the speedometer the same although i had to open it and fix the odometer gears inside. But that is a different story.
I basically imported the car because I feel really attached to it and I know the history since 2008 when I bought it. I also have the full documentation starting with the invoice of the new car from the previous owner. I don't think that a standard Carrera 993 RoW car has a higher value here in the US. So even without paying tax I don't see a value increase here for my standard Carrera 993. A rare version like a Carrera RS or Turbo S are certainly different animals. I feel that more cars with lower milage are offered here in the US. Therefore I don't feel that it is easy and safe to make some money on an imported standard 993.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:42 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephan Schmidt
I moved from Germany to the US 10 years ago. I imported my '95 C4 Cabriolet to the US in 2020. I bought that car in Germany in 2008. Of course the car was always registered under my name in Germany. So I didn't had to pay any import taxes to the US. They considered it as a part of my move. I shipped it on a RoRo car carrier. My experience was good. No damage occurred at all. I shipped it from Bremerhaven to Galveston for 1,600 Euro + 400 Dollar for the import broker at that time. The export declaration was included in the 1,600 Euros. I drove the car from Galveston to Colorado. I can confirm that the registration process was easy. I just had to translate the German "Fahrzeugbrief" to English and get an emission test done. That test was different than the normal test because it is a German spec car. But it was very straight forward. They didn't made any adjustments on my fine running car. I got a kind of a data sheet and now I can go to the standard emission test. No other changes were required in Colorado for my 25 year old car. I kept the speedometer the same although i had to open it and fix the odometer gears inside. But that is a different story.
I basically imported the car because I feel really attached to it and I know the history since 2008 when I bought it. I also have the full documentation starting with the invoice of the new car from the previous owner. I don't think that a standard Carrera 993 RoW car has a higher value here in the US. So even without paying tax I don't see a value increase here for my standard Carrera 993. A rare version like a Carrera RS or Turbo S are certainly different animals. I feel that more cars with lower milage are offered here in the US. Therefore I don't feel that it is easy and safe to make some money on an imported standard 993.
cool, i have had my 964 for 8 years and the 993 for only 2, so i may have the same situation for the 964 as it is my daily for many years now...thanks for your story, cool....and cheers,

Quick Reply: iimporting a 25 year old 993 from 'the fatherland'...