Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 12 years, a change is necessary.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 12:45 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 534 Posts

Looks great! When will the Champion's make their debut?
Old 05-11-2024, 09:19 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 534 Posts

BTW, what size staples? Need to tackle that task at some point and aside from the mention and photos, haven't seen anyone elaborate on the actual stapling process or staple sizes. Presume they pierce straight through and then on the underside you bend each one over with a screwdriver?
Old 05-11-2024, 11:36 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Looking good Nick, well done.
Old 05-11-2024, 12:34 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Car is perfect. No S lip?
Old 05-11-2024, 02:27 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The seals and techart lights look so perfect (along with everything else). Well done!!!
Old 05-11-2024, 05:16 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
BTW, what size staples? Need to tackle that task at some point and aside from the mention and photos, haven't seen anyone elaborate on the actual stapling process or staple sizes. Presume they pierce straight through and then on the underside you bend each one over with a screwdriver?
Nurburger can confirm the staple gauge but they were maybe 3/8" long and carefully bent over underneath wirh needle nose pliers. You need to do a decent job compressing them so they don't catch on install...

Last edited by LimeyBoy; 05-11-2024 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 05:35 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts

A thing of beauty. Looks awesome!
Old 05-11-2024, 09:44 PM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default TT

Very nice Nick.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:41 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
It looks stunning nick, the color match is impressive. It has been a while since ive seen you out in it, minty pig has been stealing the limeylight, so nice to help get the TT tip top for driving season.🍻
Yeah - have to admit that the 964 keys have been hard to pass by, though it took me a while to decide what I wanted to do with the 993 after the PPF removal mess.... Looking forward to putting more miles on it this season.

Looks great! When will the Champion's make their debut?
Tires are ordered....

The staples are 1/2" stainless. I've seen some pictorials where they used dozens of them but the original bumper that came off of my car only had one staple in each seal tab (two in the wider tabs), so we went with that. The area above the most curved section of the seal that meets the frunk seal doesn't need staples as it gets pinched against the fender - I have not trimmed the tails because (luckily) they both fell in perfect positions. I do think there is some luck in play when doing the bumper install for the first time.

Originally Posted by JB 911
Looking good Nick, well done.

Originally Posted by Cactus
Car is perfect. No S lip?
Nope. I loved the S lip for twelve years but I needed a change... The smooth and correct look of the ROW turbo bumper with the TA ducts is such a nice look IMO and the S lip eliminates the very curvaceous vents of the WB bumper, which I also love.

Originally Posted by gonzilla
The seals and techart lights look so perfect (along with everything else). Well done!!!
Thanks Mike - so grateful to you for helping me out.

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
Nurburger can confirm the staple gauge but they were maybe 3/8" long and carefully bent over underneath wirh needle nose pliers. You need to do a decent job compressing them so they don't catch on install...
There was definitely a old boys knack you had with those needle nose - I lost patience but I'm still learning that I now need glasses to see anything within 2'...

As always, I truly appreciate your help and skillz LB.

Originally Posted by 996scott
A thing of beauty. Looks awesome!

Last edited by Nurburger; 05-11-2024 at 10:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gonzilla (05-14-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 10:48 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WhiteCab
Very nice Nick.
Sid!!!

Hope all is well with you - been a few eons!
Old 05-23-2024, 11:33 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Finally got the tires mounted to the 184's today. I knew that the wheel specs were going to be tight with the aggressive suspension on my 993 and I'd need to rely on the tire sidewall profiles to 'snug them in'... The front's are tight - I may need to consider 225's instead of 235's or play with ride height/camber (prefer not to). The front tire sidewall is much more square than I had expected - especially in relation to the rear. After installing I went for a quick drive and heard/felt no rubbing on front or rear - which was a surprise because you'd struggle to fit a Rizla paper between the front tire and lip!

So, a change is what I wanted and a change is most certainly what I got - they are so different in so many ways to the 'jewelry' look of the Speedlines. While they are the same diameter the design of these 184's make them appear taller - especially on the front with the flatter profile. It's hard to capture the dramatic contours of the rear spokes in the pictures but IRL they are 'voluptuous' and enhance the rear end of the WB 993 in a different way than the step lip / deep dish construction of the Speedlines. The white gold/grey color is a fantastic contrast to the Arena red paint IMO - and I do plan to have the brake calipers refinished in either dark grey or black as I have never liked red calipers against AR.

The moral of this story is that the Speedlines aren't going anywhere... I just needed a refresh on my 993 and I'm happy with the changes so far. I might continue with having my HBS seats and rocker panels painted...

Here are some pics I took this afternoon:

Last edited by Nurburger; 05-23-2024 at 11:36 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by Nurburger:
993.Coupe (06-19-2024), Elberoth (06-02-2024), Gator06 (07-12-2024), Gbos1 (05-27-2024), LimeyBoy (05-24-2024), michaelp (07-29-2024), Mr.Woolery (05-27-2024), sbsurfer (05-24-2024), TheFatArmadillo (05-24-2024), timothymoffat (07-14-2024), VladiD (06-18-2024) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-17-2024, 10:52 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

The Speedlines are back on the car while I wait for some very odd sized hub-centric rings. The Champion RS184's were too tight with the 235 fronts and the original 3mm spacers that they came with all around. I removed the spacers and switched to 225 section tires - however the 3mm spacers are hub-centric so I needed to find rings to fill the voids - I guess 71.5mm ID to 79.5mm OD are not exactly common... They should be here from Japan in a day or two!??

Meanwhile, I had the car polished and ceramic coated (along with the 500e that I just pulled out of long term storage).

The following 6 users liked this post by Nurburger:
Dick in TN (06-18-2024), jbutzi (07-12-2024), Jlaa (07-14-2024), LimeyBoy (06-18-2024), max911 (06-18-2024), VladiD (06-18-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-18-2024, 03:47 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Beautiful car, Nick. Those new wheels look great!
Old 06-19-2024, 02:19 AM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 105 Posts

Hats off on job well done. (And change is always good).
Those mg wheels are fantastic and the color of the wheels really sits well with the Arena Red.
Personally I think the «OE periode correctness» of the speedlines will forever be unmatched, but these mg wheels do present as a good alternative.

Good effort on the install of bumper rubber gaskets. It seems to me that gaskets often are installed incorrect and loosen once the bumper is threaded on or they end up with the rubber sitting too high between the panels (mounted too high in the bumper frame).
You just nailed the install and the front looks so smooth and factory with everything installed.

Great looking car 👏🏻

PS, have you thought about playing with adjusting front wheel camber to get the 235s fitted?
Old 06-20-2024, 11:21 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3healey
Beautiful car, Nick. Those new wheels look great!
Cheers G. Hope all is well in your world.

Originally Posted by ClassicAndy
Hats off on job well done. (And change is always good).
Those mg wheels are fantastic and the color of the wheels really sits well with the Arena Red.
Personally I think the «OE periode correctness» of the speedlines will forever be unmatched, but these mg wheels do present as a good alternative.

Good effort on the install of bumper rubber gaskets. It seems to me that gaskets often are installed incorrect and loosen once the bumper is threaded on or they end up with the rubber sitting too high between the panels (mounted too high in the bumper frame).
You just nailed the install and the front looks so smooth and factory with everything installed.

Great looking car 👏🏻

PS, have you thought about playing with adjusting front wheel camber to get the 235s fitted?
Thanks for your observations and feedback. The true colour of the Champion wheels is hard to capture with the iphone - it is quite stunning against the arena red.

Adding some camber might have allowed enough room, however I really don't want to mess with the suspension geometry to squeeze the 235's in - the car's feel is spot on since we did the the ride height, corner balance and proper alignment to it several years ago. The 225's look as though they will fit perfectly with the slight stretch to the sidewall (I prefer the look also).

The rings arrived today, so I'll swap the wheels again in a few days.

Quick Reply: After 12 years, a change is necessary.