Sponsored by:

After 12 years, a change is necessary.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 10:07 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery
Not necessarily, depending upon the magnesium alloy. Pure magnesium, yes, but modern magnesium alloy mixes used for many wheels have generally addressed this. I've had a set of hollow spoke magnesium wheels (magnesium Watanabe F8's) on one of my cars for nearly 20 years now, and they're none the worse for wear. Have been used on street and have seen a few track days, too.

I think Nurburger will be just fine rocking these wheels.
I appreciate the input. My view is that anything that has been manufactured can break.

When these RS184's were originally built, Champion Motorsport was a championship racing outfit with hundreds of thousands of race / testing miles on their Mg wheels and have always been highly respected as a manufacturer of quality parts. Good enough for me.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.Woolery (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 10:12 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alps
Nurburger, those are great looking wheels but they don't belong on a 993 IMO. The 993 is one of the most beautiful automotive designs of recent decades and it just doesn't lend itself to experimentation with wilder concepts.

Gemballa, RWB, Dubshed etc. shock but one look is enough.

My advice (if you are interested) is to get a new car. Buy a good 993RS from Europe and what you might lack in aesthetics, you will more than make up for in driving enjoyment. There are many cars available, prices are getting realistic and if you've never had one they are in a different league.
Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. However I'm not sure how a classic 5 spoke design could be classified as a wild concept.

Thanks also for the suggestion to sell my Turbo and buy an RS. Obviously we all know that the RS is a very special car but I quite like the current combination of my 993tt and 964 3.8 in my garage.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:06 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Looking forward to seeing how these 5-spokes will look on your car once mounted.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:23 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Beautiful wheels, Nick! Can’t wait to see the finished product.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:50 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 992 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. However I'm not sure how a classic 5 spoke design could be classified as a wild concept.

Not to mention that they're not too far off-course from the classic Ruf 5-spokes. Whether people like those wheels or not (given their weight) they're still one of the most iconic 993 styles.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:06 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 555 Posts

Looking good Nick!

Whenever I get the urge for something new I just buy another car. Today it’s a 997.2 GT3RS

Yes, the nasty tint is being removed before shipping.
timothymoffat (07-14-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 11:28 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3healey
Beautiful wheels, Nick! Can’t wait to see the finished product.
G!!!! Hope all is well with you. Hope you still have those A8's...?

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Not to mention that they're not too far off-course from the classic Ruf 5-spokes. Whether people like those wheels or not (given their weight) they're still one of the most iconic 993 styles.
Agreed. The concave centers are quite different from the Ruf's but there are other similarities. I think for a WB 993 the staggered curvature of these 184's will be aggressively elegant (typed as I sip a glass of fine wine with pinky raised)...

Originally Posted by RudyP
Looking good Nick!

Whenever I get the urge for something new I just buy another car. Today it’s a 997.2 GT3RS
You are fast becoming my hero Rudy! Congratulations on another, very stout addition to your brood.

However, you did recently enhance the look of your C4S after a similar number of months....
RudyP (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 06:11 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

However, you did recently enhance the look of your C4S after a similar number of months....
Yeah that is a good point. I did recently swap the decklid (thanks for including it as part of the purchase) and amber signals on the C4S.

And in fairness, I also added Magnesium wheels to my 991 Touring so I totally get it.

timothymoffat (07-14-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 07:17 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

G!!!! Hope all is well with you. Hope you still have those A8's...?..
Yes, sir! Lovin’ the Recaros.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:40 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3healey
Yes, sir! Lovin’ the Recaros.
Good to hear. That is one set of seats I do regret selling, though I had my opportunity to use them and they sat unused...

Alright. Can 'o' worms about to be opened but I'd love to hear some thoughts/suggestions on the best current tire option for these RS184's. When I first bought them, there were still some street tires available in 305 for the rears but now I see only track tires in that size. I really only drive my cars in fair weather conditions so I'm fine with aggressive / autoX treads but I'm not going to pull a Magnus Walker.

When I made the decision to put the 184's on I had planned on going with MPS2's in 235/40 & 315/30 but recent posts make me think that the Michelin sidewall might be too chubby over a 12" wide rear wheel and my car set to near RS specs.

I'll need a little stretch I think. @Bill Verburg I would very much appreciate your input if you're around.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:06 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 992 Likes on 514 Posts

I think it's just the one PS 4S in 285/30-18 that's an oddball. All other Michelin sizes and models seem pretty standard.
Gbos1 (03-07-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 07:13 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Are there PS4S or Continentals that will fit your desired size? I have all my cars on one or the other (Cup 2s, PS4S, Continental ExtremeContact Sport or ContiSportContact 5) and other than the Continentals flatspotting quickly (after about a week or 2 of sitting I notice a bit of vibration on the first drive if I hit the highway very quickly but then they get back to round within <10 min), I find them equally enjoyable as street tires. The Cup 2a are reserved for GT3 and the new RS actually comes on PS4S so I may leave them on for a while. I have another couple of sets each of Cup2s and of of PS4S unmounted and ready to go in 991.2 GT3 sizes. Unfortunately, that won't work on the 7.2 RS
'
Old 03-08-2024, 09:34 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RudyP
Are there PS4S or Continentals that will fit your desired size? I have all my cars on one or the other (Cup 2s, PS4S, Continental ExtremeContact Sport or ContiSportContact 5) and other than the Continentals flatspotting quickly (after about a week or 2 of sitting I notice a bit of vibration on the first drive if I hit the highway very quickly but then they get back to round within <10 min), I find them equally enjoyable as street tires. The Cup 2a are reserved for GT3 and the new RS actually comes on PS4S so I may leave them on for a while. I have another couple of sets each of Cup2s and of of PS4S unmounted and ready to go in 991.2 GT3 sizes. Unfortunately, that won't work on the 7.2 RS
'
Not so many options in the 315/30 size unfortunately. Most that are actually available and not back ordered are full summer / autoX spec like the Toyo 888R / Yoko Advan / Falken whatever etc etc., which I'm not opposed to but have no experience with. I did also see today that Pirelli may have a Pzero in that size, just not available from my usual tire resource (on line, anyway) so I need to call. I've had the Pzeros on other cars and loved them - plus I know from experience that they aren't a chubby tire.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:48 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Thanks to my good pal and thoroughly skilled Manc, @LimeyBoy the first phase of this refresh is done - along with the PITA 2 hour full on oil change...

I stressed over the colour match of the new Euro bumper and getting the seals positioned perfectly (yes OCD). I had the bumper painted a couple of months ago to ensure proper curing time and after a month or so I positioned the 2 seals, secured them with small binder clips and let them sit so that they could take the shape. I then secured the seals with thin double sided tape following @Zed. 's very helpful thread regarding the positioning of the seals - it is definitely crucial to 'sink' the seal lower against the lip of the bumper as it transitions from the side to the front section under the headlights. My original plan was to test fit the bumper before stapling but we found that it's probably impossible to manipulate the bumper in to position without the seal being properly secured with staples - so we just went at it with the air stapler...

It's by no means a simple procedure when you want / hope for a perfect outcome - but a methodical process, patience and some careful massaging (a cowboy trick by me) were rewarded in a really great result. Other than the missing screws that I found 30 minutes after @LimeyBoy left...

It was the first time using the set of JackPoint stands that @gonzilla was kind enough to help me with collecting/shipping. They are great - such a well thought out product and a shame they are NLA!

Wheels next.

The following 4 users liked this post by Nurburger:
boomboomthump (05-11-2024), gonzilla (05-11-2024), Grapeape (05-11-2024), LimeyBoy (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 12:41 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

It looks stunning nick, the color match is impressive. It has been a while since ive seen you out in it, minty pig has been stealing the limeylight, so nice to help get the TT tip top for driving season.🍻

Quick Reply: After 12 years, a change is necessary.