Supercharger owner....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

KB993,

Don't spout off unless you know what you are talking about.

The stock map from TPC behaves the same way with or without an intercooler. 2 Dips. I looked at the maps in the split second software and there is no timing advance or fuel being mapped at those 2 rpm ranges. That's why it's TPC's fault. Don't expect alot of after-sales service from these guys. Lot of promises like "Oh, I'll call you tomorrow" and then never return the call. For $6500, I expect the maps to be freakin perfect! Additionally they never mention the fact that you need new wires, plugs, and distributors. Or the fact that you have to get a part to override the MAF sensor.

I know the maps need to be adjusted for the intercooler, but even the baseline for a sc without an ic is hosed. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that TPC did not install it and tinker with it. My guys are very knowledgable Porsche guys. They bought the kit for me on their paper thinking they would get better service. Yeah right!

Typically intercooler companies do not get into tuning the fuel/timing maps for vehicles, as there are thousands of vehicles they could be used on. There are tuning shops that do that.

BTW, you sound like a TPC employee that I've dealt with. Always somebody else's fault.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:18 AM
KB993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sachin,

I do not usually consider asking a question "spouting off." I also do not claim to know all about superchargers or intercoolers. However, I am always in search of more knowledge and I will continue to ask questions when I desire a better understanding.

JKW993,

Thanks for the explanation. I'll send you a PM with a few more questions.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:48 AM
cecil
Instructor

though the vario ram on the later models smoothed it out a bit those dips are classic. Look at the power curve on the 95 or even earlier 911's.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:49 PM
nateweiss
Intermediate

I have had a TPC supercharger for about a year. I am really glad that I had it installed. I was, however having problems with pings in 3rd gear under full throttle, and decided to have an intercooler installed.

I went to European Performance, a Porsche shop near Boston - those guys REALLY know what they are doing. I had an intercooler installed and they redid much of the wiring that TPC has loosely wound around the engine. They also reconnected quite a few sensors and worked with TPC to get the piggyback computer remapped. I did not dyno the car after, but it feels a bit faster - a few HP for sure, maybe 10 or so. More importantly it sounds much better and have had no knocks/pings since.

A pic is attached.
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2004, 10:09 AM
MadKipper
4th Gear

nateweiss, do you experience the 2 dips mentioned earlier in this dicussion thread?

also, could you explain what the main benefits of the supercharger are please... eg, much stronger torque from 2000 revs?

cheers!

Quick Reply: Supercharger owner....