Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

PPI from current mechanic. Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 08:34 PM
mansueti
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI from current mechanic. Yes or No?

I am looking at a 993 locally to purchase. This car has been serviced by a paticular mechainic which has a good reputation in town for servicing 911s. If I look to buy this car, should I get the PPI done at another reputable mechanic or should I stick with the current one who knows the car? What are the pros and cons going either way....Thanks...
Old 07-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

If he is a reputable mechanic, why wouldn't you just ask him. I tell customers that are selling their cars if they want me to lie about the condition of their car "Don't let you buying customer call me and ask the condition." If he lied to you he'd have to explain all that to you after the sell. That doesn't sound like something a reputable mechanic would do.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:07 AM
Laura
Pro

As a shop owner, this is what I tell prospective buyers...

Yes, the car has been serviced here for however long. I would be happy to make copies of all invoices for the work done in this shop provided the seller calls and gives me permission. You can then review them and if you have any questions, feel free to call. We perform periodic general inspections and recommended items are always listed and a compression test isperformed at every major service. (This is a good first step for very interested buyer, but still not ready to plunk the money down on a PPI)

If this is "the" car, for peace of mind and an objective view, take it to another reputable shop that is strong on Porsche and if the techs have any questionsor concerns, call.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:56 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I just played that game ... and the PO's mechanic missed *everything* wrong with the car. Do it at your own risk ... by all means, talk to the shop, but an impartial second opinion is good insurance.

Vic
95 C4
Old 07-18-2004, 09:50 AM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

I'm guessing he doesn't have a reputable shop. Thats how it starts or ends. By word of mouth.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Too much conflict of interest, IMO. Can even a reputable mechanic be truly impartial, as objective as another honorable mechanic who has no relationship with the owner or who has not put his reputation into the car? Definitely possible, but I think you're more likely to get fewer biases from someone who has no connection with the owner. There's a reason valid studies use double-blind methodology to ensure fair results.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with Mark. I'm always more comfortable with my own people giving me unbiased info. Not that his mechanic is not honest, but there in a conflict this way, so just avoid the conflict.

Quick Reply: PPI from current mechanic. Yes or No?