Sponsored by:

Motor Sound Package mufflers vs RSR mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 04:14 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Motor Sound Package mufflers vs RSR mufflers

I read through the archives and looks like most of you that have the Motor Sound Package with RSR mufflers didn't have the original MSP mufflers to begin with so I'm still a bit confused but more curious. I have the factory MSP package which includes the mod airbox, 'mufflers' and exhaust tips. My question is for those of you that have this setup and then replaced your MSP muffler (part# 993.111.046 07 - Bischoff) with Robin's RSR muffler which is essentially a modified stock muffler (part# 993.111.046 04 - Bischoff).

Is there a significant difference? What about at WOT? Is it worth it?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2004, 07:24 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car came with motor sound option, I have upgraded to RSRs, and the difference is big, and extremely good IMO. However I am not sure if the British cars had the different mufflers, some say they did not, I must check the part numbers.

I have kept my original mufflers as well, just in case I they are MSP or I want to change back at any point.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:24 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonathan, get the RSR's. For an NA car, nothing sounds better at WOT, IMHO.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:19 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

RSR's are the only way to go IMHO!!

You will not be disapointed...unless you really aspire a loud car, then supercups are the ticket..

RSR have the best sound all around
Old 06-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there anything of value between the RSRs and the Supercups on the loudness scale?
I keep hoping for something that is about 1/2 way between those two options - I like the throatiness of the RSR but want them to be louder.

(mlincoln...don't bother responding, please)
Old 06-15-2004, 01:20 AM
jz993
Racer

Jonathan,
I have the Motorsound opt., but don't think my tips are different than anyone elses. Could you post a pic of yours, or e-mail me?
I converted to RSR's and while the workmanship is excellent, I was a little disappointed in the (meager) volume increase. It does sound great at WOT, but it did before, too. I don't see how anyone could claim there's a "big" difference.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:21 AM
SLVR
Pro

Although I am a fully convinced RSR user, (I love them) I would say the RSR's are a stealth option. They have a much nicer sound than the originals, but to the average ear there is not that much difference from stock.

I found that, when cold, they project every beat of the engine and, when hot, they burble nicely at idle. At WOT they have a nice roar. I got them by the TUV inspection in Germany without anyone raising an eyebrow. I guess that is because they are still acceptable to 'the neighbors'.

However, if you want something that is obviously a non-stock exhaust by the sound of it, the RSRs are not the way to go.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the RSRs and would love to find something that sounded the same only louder. Maybe we could persuade Robin to develop a replacement box if we showed enough support for it? ;-)

Cheers,

David
Old 06-15-2004, 09:59 AM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had the RSR's for about a year and I love them - a question for those who say they are not loud enough - have you ever had someone else drive your car and stand by the side of the road and listen to them? First time this happened at my mechanics I was VERY impressed with the sound. I have a cab and they do not sound loud with the top down and me driving - but Boy do they sound great when it drives by. Just my 2 cents!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:01 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I have the MSP with RSR's and there is a noticable improvement. I always get compliments at the dealership and at PCA events on how nice they sound (very throaty at idle and roars like an old 911 at WOT ).

I do not regret getting yhem at all. Robin out did himself with his stealth modification and I thank him each time I hear my favorite 911 music!

Old 06-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

You might want to check with Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems and ask him about Monty Mufflers. I have them and am very happy with them. I think they are a little quieter at idle than the set of RSR's we compared them to, but with more of a growl if that's the right word. Above idle they are louder than RSR. I'm told they are not as loud as Maxflo Mufflers.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:29 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone for your input. I will have to check for myself on the sound but looks like RSR is very popular!

Jeff:
Here is a pic of my exhaust tips. Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I may be wrong since no one else mentioned this, but I thought that the MSP only included a drilled airbox and different muffler TIPS. I had the MSP and replaced my mufflers with Robin's RSR's. The difference is not huge, but it is a very nice sound. I also drilled an extra bunch of 1" holes in the airbox which made a huge difference inside the car at WOT.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:41 PM
flatair
Racer

Anybody have a recent sound clip of RSR's (i.e. driving away WOT)? I found one in the archives, but sound quality left something to be desired as the recording level was set too high and it was clipping. I'd love to hear what all the 'noise' is about

Brad
Old 06-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jonathan,

If you want more sound, there is a cheap way. Get an open airbox cover like the one I'm selling on ebay pictured below.

Shameless self promotion, by Ron in Charleston

Quick Reply: Motor Sound Package mufflers vs RSR mufflers