993 Buyer's BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 10:49 AM
stephenc2s
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 993 Buyer's BEWARE

To all who are ISO of a 993.

There's a Red 95' Coupe floating around in the Northeast (CT) and the owner claims the car has no bodywork, etc. 70% of the body paneling has been replaced, it's a C4, but 4 some reason it has C2 brakes on it. If you'd like to hear all of the details, PM me.

I'd hate to see someone else waste their time and $$ looking @ this vehicle, that's why I wanted to warn everybody.

Thank you.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:03 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are referring to the color of the calipers, c4 brakes are identical to c2 brakes since you can have them in any color you want as an option.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In 1995 the C4 brake calipers, the "carrera 4", and shift insert were titanium colored. The 1995 C2s I have seen have black calipers that I am sure were the same size.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:01 PM
stephenc2s
Banned

My point being that the car was totalled and put back together as a "parts car". All C4's have silver calipers in 95'. I've NEVER seen one in any other color. Also, I just checked the factory option code book for MY 1995 and there are no M options involving colored calipers listed.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:22 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by stephenc2s
...Also, I just checked the factory option code book for MY 1995 and there are no M options involving colored calipers listed.
It was an option under the Porsche Exclusive Program...you could have your calipers in pink with purple and yellow stripes if you wanted.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:23 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Stephen,

I think it's great that you are willing to warn potential buyers off of a car that is being misrepresented.

IMO, if you're certain of the details of the car, why not just post the "who, what, when, why and where?" There are a lot of red '95 coupes in the northeast.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:45 PM
stephenc2s
Banned

Alrighty then... Here you go.

1995 993 Coupe
Guards Red / Cashmere
18K miles
Deviating carpet
18" 3 pc wheels (Voxx - never heard or seen them before)
VIN # WP0AA2996SS321496
North Madison, CT - 14 miles North of New Haven
It has a clean CARFAX, which again goes to show you not to rely soley on their so-called service...

I keep a file of ALL cars that I come across with damage. I was pretty pissed when I got out of the taxi and saw that the guy completely lied to me. When I told him the car had been hit EXTREMELY hard, he told me that I did not know what I was talking about. Ray Charles could have seen the body work on this car..

Hope this helps you guys out. Have a good day.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 548 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience and thanks for posting. That's what Rennlist is for.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:19 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Stephen,

Thanks. Good of you to post that specific info - the Vin # of this turkey is especially nice to have. Makes it tough for the owner to say, "its not my car."

Good luck with your search.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Carfax is of limited value, IMHO. I have also seen mistakes in the other direction--for example, where odo rollbacks were listed that were NOT the case.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:41 PM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

Agreed on the value of CarFax—a friend as a not-actual-mileage BMW with an estimated 180,000 miles but only an indicated 60,000 and that does not show up on CarFax.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stephen,

I can sympathize with you. A few years back, I drove to a factory dealership in Cincinnati to look at a Porsche-certified 993. I was assured that it had never had body work of any kind after specifically asking.

After driving 100 miles to see it, I quickly spotted the tell-tale signs (tape mask line, crumpled door hinge, mismatched gaps) that indicated a previous hit to the passenger side. Actually, I take that back. My wife noticed first, and she has no background in cars.

When I pointed these findings out to them, their response was, "Well, how about that? We never noticed." The obvious question was, "So, are they really that bad at their job, or unethical?" Not good choices, aye?

Sadly enough, this dealership is a frequent sponsor of Ohio Valley Region PCA events. My conclusion: buying at a dealership is certainly not a guarantee of the quality of a used car.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:12 AM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Anir,

The truth of the matter is that the dealership knew. The used car manager would have noticed these things as soon as the car was brought to his attention. The price of the car as a trade would have been adjusted appropriately: they would have protected themselves.

Depending on the dealership, they may or may not try to sell it themselves first. If it doesn't sell, it gets "shopped" to different used car lots in the city. Failing that, it will end up at auction to be shipped to a different city.

So, ultimately a Porsche dealership will get the nicest used Porsche but it's still caveat emptor; there are some bad ones mixed in.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:33 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by David in LA
It was an option under the Porsche Exclusive Program...you could have your calipers in pink with purple and yellow stripes if you wanted.
Gotta love Werks1
Old 06-15-2004, 05:05 AM
SLVR
Pro

In defense of the salesmen. I once inquired about a slate grey turbo at a Virginia dealer when I still had my 4S. The gent in question told me immediately one of the rear quarters had been repaired (poor paint job though I had not seen that at first glance) and the car should not be for sale at the dealership as he felt it did not meet the standard for that. Although I know only one guy who is that straight, there must be more.......aren't there??

Anyway, when it comes to spotting damage on a car you'll never beat the wife, they can see details that we will take an hour to find! Had that very same experience described above at an MB dealer in NJ. My wife walked in and immediately condemned the car as a heavy fixer-upper.

I had driven 3 hours to come see a 'clean car' and after complaining loud enough one of the lot lizzard fessed up it belonged to the owner's son and one of the rear quarters had been destroyed badly, aaargh! SCUM!

Quick Reply: 993 Buyer's BEWARE