Sponsored by:

If you had an extra $2000

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 12:59 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True.. I had kept my 993 100% stock for the first 2 years of DE and autocross events I attended because I had so much to learn...

My first upgrade BEFORE suspension was actually R compound tires and Fikse wheels (in 17")... then suspension a year after that.

...since then, however, I've changed suspension 4 times (YIKES)... it tends to happen as you start to improve your driving skills!

BUT Yes, I 100% concur that a driving school works wonders! I did a skip barber school at Road America myself... and then PCA DE events
Old 06-14-2004, 01:42 PM
NeedForSpeed
Instructor

Actually, Driving school sounds like a good place to start!

Otherwise I wouldn't even know what to expect from any performance upgrade? Heck..... Maybe I just need to get a track car too now! Hold on... Thats definitely going to cost more than $2000!

As for the Membership.... Now that I am committed to keeping my current Cab and perhaps pursuing a track car.. I guess the commitment must include membership. Should have done it much earlier I suppose! The peer pressure is awesome!

Thank you for the kick in the pants!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:59 PM
NeedForSpeed
Instructor

Just up to a 2yr Membership! Its official!
Old 06-14-2004, 02:03 PM
H. Miller
Racer

Need,
I'm in Denver. Done the suspension change to HDs/HR/Sways and have also done the Skip Barber school at Laguna Seca. Let me know if you want to see or drive the suspension change. I would do a couple of DEs before the Skip Barber school, you'll appreciate it more.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

We have crappy roads here in New England so I did the LWF and short shift first to better appreciate the car on the street. After going to some Auto X events, I then did suspension. I will say that if I had to do it over again, I would do DE's first.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Watch My 6
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've started down the mod path myself. I've decided that the first $$ will be spent on a set of RSR mufflers. Won't really add to the performance much but it sure will sound good...

After that, I plan to spend a few $$ jazzing up the interior a bit with some aluminum pedals, shifter, etc. Not overdone, but tasteful...

That should take care of around $1000 or so. But my car will look and sound beautiful. In my book, that adds tremendously to the 'enjoyment' factor.

Further down the road come the suspension mods, etc. after I get to know my car a lot better and taking a few DE's along the way to help. IMVHO, no use in putting all that stuff on and spending the $$ without really being able to take full advantage of them... I plan on keeping my car for a very long time so it's ok if it takes a while to get there...

WM6
Old 06-14-2004, 05:41 PM
garychios
Pro

never buy used suspension. Trust me
Old 06-14-2004, 06:08 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally posted by garychios
never buy used suspension. Trust me
My autocross car has suspension that I bought used. Are you referring to any particular problem (especially given the fact that most shocks are easily rebuldable)?
Old 06-14-2004, 06:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

rennlist memeber
then goto track with instructor to learn how to drive.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:43 PM
NeedForSpeed
Instructor

Originally posted by H. Miller
Need,
I'm in Denver. Done the suspension change to HDs/HR/Sways and have also done the Skip Barber school at Laguna Seca. Let me know if you want to see or drive the suspension change. I would do a couple of DEs before the Skip Barber school, you'll appreciate it more.
I would most certainly like to pick your brain and check out your cars suspension. Besides, Its always nice to meet another Devnerite with something in common. If breakfast sounds good I usually take a Saturday drive to Kitridge. My treat!
Old 06-14-2004, 07:45 PM
NeedForSpeed
Instructor

Originally posted by nile13
My autocross car has suspension that I bought used. Are you referring to any particular problem (especially given the fact that most shocks are easily rebuldable)?
I am actualy looking a adding virgin modifications to the car. Its stock right now and in perfect running condition. 25K mi new tires and 30 tune-up. Problem is where to start!
Old 06-14-2004, 07:53 PM
NeedForSpeed
Instructor

Originally posted by Martin S.
I echo the above, Rennlist membership...than sit on the $2,000 until you have enough for the suspension. Until you do the suspension, you will be driving a "couch".
Very true!... But man !!! what a nice couch!
Old 06-14-2004, 08:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,971 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally posted by NeedForSpeed
I would most certainly like to pick your brain and check out your cars suspension. Besides, Its always nice to meet another Devnerite with something in common. If breakfast sounds good I usually take a Saturday drive to Kitridge. My treat!
I'd like to play too I drive that route alot myself
Old 06-15-2004, 02:21 AM
NeedForSpeed
Instructor

Miller and Grant,

Sounds like a Denver breakfast run in the works?
Old 06-15-2004, 02:39 AM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Howie & Grant,

Hey wait for me! Schedule permitting, I'd drop by. I'll be at 2d Creek this Saturday with the wife and kids for Ladies day, otherwise generally available.

Grant in Longmont

Quick Reply: If you had an extra $2000