Sponsored by:

I need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Seljan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some opinions

I am seriously thinking about doing a 2-3 week cross-country trip in my 993cab.
I would be going from Wisconsin to La on as many of the state roads as possible.No real pressure to be anywhere at any particular time.I would have the car shipped back from LA on a transport and we would fly home when the trip was over.My wife is kind of *iffy* about taking the porsche.Naturally she's concerned about the lack of storage .
Has anyone done this kind of trip with their car? And if so,would you recommend it or do it again?

TIA
Old 06-13-2004, 08:01 PM
gslaberge
Advanced

I would be concerned about the tire sizes when in rural areas. If you have a blow out and are on limited distance with a spare, hopefully the local garage has a tire dismounting setup that can handle your rims and rim size. This is why I do not go too far in my C4S.
Gregg
Old 06-13-2004, 08:41 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, you asked for opinions, so here comes mine... Enjoy your car, enjoy the trip, and take the car. A blowout is about the last thing I'd worry about on a trip... when was the last time anybody (with tires in decent condition) has used their spare? Pack a fan belt, the tools to change it, and a spare DME relay. Don't give the car a second thought... it'll be fine.

Gregg may have some really bad roads or something... but I wouldn't let some low percentage hypothetical get in your way of enjoying life.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:04 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Reading what the wife said made me laugh! My wife's opinion is the same
The key is if she likes these kind of trips! If she does then I think the back seat with soft bags will offer decent space for the cloths you need, a small cooler will fit behind her seat if she is not too tall and loose things fit great in the trunk. Dont forget to have a couple of Mobil 1 oils with you, belts and the tool for them. I guess it will come down to testing what can fit back there before making the decision... I can tell you though when you drive in Cali you will be beating yourself if you do not have the Porsche with you! I did the trip from Houston to Vancouver with my cabrio M3 which is not a bad car and I still wished I was driving my Porsche instead...
Old 06-13-2004, 10:44 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed....

Take the Porsche and the Wife and make the best of it !!! It'll be the best threesome you ever had.....
Old 06-13-2004, 10:53 PM
nman413
Drifting

You can ask Arrwin who is doing the reverse commute as we speak.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Paul in Chicago
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

If you find yourself near the Arizona/New Mexico borders, you have to see highway 191 from St Johns to Clifton. I seem to recall (haven't lived in Arizona for 5 years) it's called the old Devil's Highway. Just before I moved, they renumbered it from Highway 666.

I've also driven parts of highway 160 through southwestern Colorado. Very beautiful!!

I haven't driven on either of these routes for quite some time, so I can not make any claims that the roads are still good, but the views are excellent.

Make sure you bring loads of your own music. Radio reception is just about nil for those types of roads.

Have fun.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:19 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

The cab is a great choice, but I wonder if all your luggage in the back would be tempting to someone slashing the top to get at it.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:12 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

These cars were meant to be driven!!! Take the wife, enjoy the ride, you will never forget it. There is nothing like top down driving and the experience multiplies in a Porshce!!!

If you are worried about flats, get AAA but what ever you do, enjoy the trip!! Good Luck!!!
Old 06-14-2004, 09:18 AM
KB993
Intermediate

I went from Maryland to the Porsche Parade in Steamboat, Colorado to Ft. Worth, Texas and back to Maryland in a 1969 911T without ac. This trip took less than two weeks and my wife and I loved it. We did have some problems, a starter had to be replaced (Farmer's Automotive) and I really should have readjusted the weber carbs for the change in altitude. It was a great trip that created some great memories. We will take our 993 to Ft. Worth for the Porsche Parade this year without hesitation. In my opinion, you should take the trip and enjoy your car.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

{Minor Thread Hijack}

Paul in Chicago:

A great way to meet a lot of local Porsche owners/rennlisters is coming up soon, on Saturday, June 26th. We are having a local rennlist gathering that should be a lot of fun. Here is the thread for more info: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=137959

We would love to see your there--and in fact, Seljan is attending, so you could give him some road tips in person. Lots of great Porsches will be there, please PM me with any questions.

Sorry for the OT, just want to round up as many cars as possible, teh more the merrier!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:45 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default it is a trip!

You needn't worry about becoming immobile on a long trip. There is always someone willing to help a stranded Porsche. I blew a rear tire at 5 PM on I-75 in Perry Georgia on Christmas eve. The local sheriff stood with me until a flat-bed arrived and the local tire dealer stayed open, sent to the next town for a new tire and then apologized repeatedly for the "outragous" price. I wanted to kiss them all but instead wrote a letter of praise to the local paper.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:49 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hmm... funny you should ask about LA road trip..

Not sure if you saw it in one of my other posts but last november (day after thanksgiving) there was this whirlwind 3 day drive from LA to Chicago in the newly acquired sight unseen ebay bought 90K mile 95 993... got home without a single issue! All roads highway were not a problem EXCEPT getting OUT of LA which resulted in a 4 hour traffic jam in I15
Old 06-14-2004, 12:54 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

P.S.

As far as convertible out west road trips... they are the best..

We did a 2 week road trip out west and back hitting a bunch of wonderful national parks out west in Arizona and Utah in my former Z3 Roadster Convertable... (probably less trunk space than a 993)

...also, just last September we did a 2 week road trip with my former SC430 convertible all the way to Seattle, CA and back.. and it was a ton of fun also (but not as enjoyable as driving the Z3 or 993 -- thus the reason that car got traded in for the Boxster S)

...Yup... I am indeed very much a convertible person!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would go for it in a seond...I wish we had the time to go on another. The 993s are great road cars.

My wife talk about our trip to Montana all the time...the story is usually about when she was passing cars and shifted to 4th at 105! There were several stints of 3 hours with and average speed of 100...it was great! We took the smaller highways and once we were out of the Seattle area EVERYONE was polite and moved over...what a deal.

We were going to a wedding in Havre and had to pack the dress clothes but we have taken lots of trips and we just pack light. We always have a little food with us and don't eat a lot but keep a little snack going. We also don't eat a lot at night for dinner becuase we aren't burning it off like we do on other vacations with lots of walking or snorkling.

Had a tire go low in Sand Point Idaho...found a good tire shop with the touchless tire machine (Les Swaab) and got it done within an hour and we were on our way. Just watch them when they torque the lug nuts!

We ended up in some construction zones and were only able to go 25 mph on a bumpy dirt/gravel road. The flaggers had no idea what kind of car we were in. They all wanted to talk when we were stopped at the head of the line...interesting memories!

Go do it!

Quick Reply: I need some opinions