Changing hi-fi option speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 04:26 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Changing hi-fi option speakers

I have a pair of Focal separates that were in my non-hifi coupe. I'd like to put them in my cabriolet which has the hifi option. I see on Rod's site that he removes the Nokia enclosure and mounts the Focals directly to the door, but what happens after that? Do you just install the carpeted door panel with the old (outer) enclosure over the new speakers?

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 06-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Skydog
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. Remove and discard the old Nokia enclosure and mount the Focals in the hole in the door panel. Fits perfect, sounds great and saves 7 pounds a door. Just got through with the same install. If I can do it, anyone can.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Cannock
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am looking to upgrade my speakers as well. Will the 6.5" Focal's bolt right in or is it better to get the 5.5"?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2004, 12:12 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 6.5's fit in the non-hifi doors just fine, although you do have to drill new holes to mount them (which are covered by the speaker frame anyway).

Still not 100 percent sure how the hifi install goes; I know you remove the black plastic Nokia pod which is hidden by the door panel, but not sure what sort of hole lurks beneath. Or how good the Focal woofers will sound when you reinstall the door panel and they are a couple of inches deeper than the outer speaker grill (if I am understanding how this goes).

The tweeter install is fairly easy; just squeeze the factory housing and it will pop off the panel; remove the factory tweeter and wedge the Focal one into the housing and mount it back on the panel. The crossover goes in the pocket where the factory one was.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 06-10-2004, 01:43 AM
DrZ
Racer

Dampening the inner door panels with Cascade or Dynamat Extreme will add significant sound quality that will supercede your choice of speaker, amp or HU. Brax has a "spackle on" paste called ExVibration which could be be used as an alternative. Can purchase this through Peter Lufrano (TheAutophile.com). Note that this stuff does add weight if that is a concern but is essential if you want to make the door more like a high fidelity speaker enclosure.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:54 AM
Cannock
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is it worth upgrading the speakers with out changng the factory head unit. After seaching the forum it seems that most upgrade both.

If I need to replace the had unit I have been looking at the Nak CD 400 and the Nak 1004 4 channel amp. Anyone else have this combo?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:29 PM
thevenet
Advanced

I am very happy with my Nak 400 and Focals (6.5s and tweeters). I went with the larger tweeter and mounted it to utilize the top part of the hi-fi "snowman" grill cover. I did also install Rod's subs to get better lows though.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:26 PM
DrZ
Racer

Cannock, see above post. Speaker installation will have the greatest impact on SQ. Really no reason to overlook simple principles of equalization of path lengths and dampening to create imaging and eliminating resonance while defining your bass. Check out archives as there has been much discussion regarding these isssues.

Nakamichi stuff does look good aesthetically, but has customer service and reliability problems. There are better amps out there for your money although the HU you mentioned appears to be working out for others here. I have a CD-700 which although has had some problems, has to this point been worth the risk considering the huge investment I have made in my audiophile level sound system.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:34 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Vic, I'm planning to install my a/d/s separates in place of "Hi-fi" system. If you'd like, we can try to get together to do both yours and mine.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:42 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good deal ... I'm in.

I have some serious fiddling to do with my cabriolet top, too, hoping to get a jump on it tomorrow.

Vic
Old 06-10-2004, 02:45 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by vjd3
Good deal ... I'm in.

I have some serious fiddling to do with my cabriolet top, too, hoping to get a jump on it tomorrow.

Vic
Tomorrow will work for me, if the rain stops.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:45 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

And ... is there an amp that fits in place of the stock Nokia? I have a (rather large) MTX amp I picked up dirt-cheap but I'm doubtful it will clear the passenger seat.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 06-10-2004, 02:48 PM
thevenet
Advanced

Rod Birch sells Audison units to fit in the stock location. Only the two channel will fit on the pan, but the larger amps will still allow proper seat function (although the back end will be exposed in the rear footwell).
Old 06-10-2004, 02:52 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a Soundstream that I'm planning on putting into mine. We can try to test-fit it. I also think that the other boxes there can be re-arrange to create space.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:52 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gonna be gorgeous tomorrow!

I only need a two-channel amp to run the Focals as I have a powered Infinity Basslink sub for the lows and the rear speakers in the cab are a joke anyway :-) ... does anyone have the correct model #?

Vic
95 C4 cab

Quick Reply: Changing hi-fi option speakers