Benefits of Light Weight Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve:

Andial mid-weight version helps due to higher interia, therefore slightly less quick revs and de-revs, thererfore slightly less performance gains / downside attributable? Does this make any sense at all?

Does anyone else make a similar mid-weight flywheel?
Old 06-10-2004, 01:34 AM
rkymtn993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Howie - who is doing your rear main seal and how much will it cost? I recently moved to Park City from Denver and am curious what the cost is in Denver. Also, are you replacing the clutch while they have the engine out?
Old 06-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Steve W. So what's the story with double-clutching on a LWF? I double-clutch a lot. But I have heard that with the LWF the revs drop too fast, which then requires heel-n-toe, which I cannot do. I know installing the LWF will take some relearning, but how much?
Old 06-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

The LWFW works great in a 95!!!!! There is zero problem using it. As many have already mentioned a number of times, all You need to do is set the ISV(idle stabilization valve) to where it catches the idle on the rev drop. This is an absurdly easy process and there is no need for a mid weight FW.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking Ouch, I bought the Andial LWF.... I believe

I paid about $900 just for the flywheel. Andial adds a couple of pounds to the LWF making it not quite as light, to prevent stalling. I was not into the Rennlist community when I made that decision....little did I know with a 97 993, I really didn't need the added weight, or as it appears, the added cost.

The up side, when my neighbor, or Phil McGrath beats me at the track, I can always blame the loss on the extra weight in the not so LWF. Realistically, the Andial LWF is a work of art...it would look good on the mantle. My car perforns just great with the Andial LWF and RS clutch. I am a happy camper.

The gear sets rattling...it is there when you replace the dual mass with the LWF. If the noise really bothers you, put in the clutch.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Father of 3:

LOL,.... I'm very well aquainted with the Andial mid-weight version as we've installed several of these in cars driven by multiple members of a household,...

One does give up some of the performance gains and its a personal judgement call about which one to use. I prefer the RS lightweight one, hands down as its easy to make the needed ISV changes.

Rick L:

I do not double clutch a Porsche tranny since its unnecessary,..... With a little practice, its very easy to learn to match revs with the throttle on downshifts to keep the chassis stabilized and planted. This has worked very well for me since I began racing RSR's in the seventies.

(I began racing British cars and it was SOP to double clutch those things)
Old 06-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve:

Thanks for your input. All that's left, other than me finding a 993 to buy, is for you to open up a shop down here in So. Cal! Seriously though, thanks for the input. I realize there are probably several threads on the topic but this thread was begging for a few more questions.

Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally posted by Father of 3
Steve:

Thanks for your input. All that's left, other than me finding a 993 to buy, is for you to open up a shop down here in So. Cal!
Now that'll be enough of that !!!
Old 06-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Father:

LOL,.....I'm really NOT that far away,....

With no sales taxes in Oregon, its worth the effort.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:06 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default opening up shop in So. Cal

Steve:

Thanks for your input. All that's left, other than me finding a 993 to buy, is for you to open up a shop down here in So. Cal! Seriously though, thanks for the input. I realize there are probably several threads on the topic but this thread was begging for a few more questions.

Thanks again.
Now holdup there Father of 3. I think us guys down here in Ohio would like to make the first invitation to bring in Steve W.'s services to a new location.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I don't see Steve moving to Ohio. The Ohio slogan may say 'The Heart of it All' but I don't think they noted the right part ;-)
Old 06-10-2004, 04:56 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Alan C.
I don't see Steve moving to Ohio. The Ohio slogan may say 'The Heart of it All' but I don't think they noted the right part ;-)

...How about Chicago? We are 3 hours from Road America, 3 hours from grattan, 2 hours from Gingerman and 2 hours from Blackhawk! (tempted yet?)

Yeah I know, our winters SUK!
Old 06-14-2004, 08:28 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

.....How big of a stalling issue is it for 95 OBD-I cars though? If used in stop-and-go traffic with any regularity, would stepping up to the Andial unit make sense?.....
As you can tell - I'm trying to get caught up on these threads.....

What Steve said - and others - is right on target. You can see my install here - and yes, it is a '95: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=LWF

I had no problem getting used to the LWF, but Jen OTOH - gave me quite the earful when she came back from her test drive after I installed that mod and had the engine running again. I did adjust the ISV, as per a few folks DIY instructions (THANKS David/Tom!) - and suspect the final step will be when I install Steve's chip. I've been reluctant to make further adjustments to the ISV without the Rennsport chip in place, so I can balance the two - but, even without the chip so far, the '95 with the LWF is just fine for me (but NOT jen..??!! )....

As for the LWF/clutch itself - I just got/installed mine from Paragon Products LWF, who just used my DIY photos - and posted their price last Friday (which is what I paid) of $1295 complete (which includes free clutch alignment tool - which I didn't get??!! ). If you also contributed to the HWFM/TRG effort - they'll take another $100 off ($1195 complete with the alignment tool and all parts) - so if you are interested in the $1195 price and contributed - PM me and I'll give you an order code which should discount the price to $1195..???

Or heck - just call Jason!!!

Old 06-14-2004, 11:27 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by John D.
I had no problem getting used to the LWF, but Jen OTOH - gave me quite the earful when she came back from her test drive after I installed that mod and had the engine running again.

John, thats why Jen has her own 911

Quick Reply: Benefits of Light Weight Flywheel