Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a real difference in feel between widebody and narrow cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 01:34 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I own a widebody but have driven NBs several times, including an extended and very spirited drive in a 6 speed NB that I investigated a few months ago on behalf of fellow rennlist member.

I think any real-world, street-driven handling or "feel" differences between the two are beyond my skill level to detect, but I have a strong preference for the aesthetics of a widebody. Not just the slightly wider body, but the split rear grill, the OE wheels most WB cars tend to have and, especially, the front bumper treatment just look better to me. I also have always thought that fixed rear spoliers look a bit better on widebody cars. BUT, this is all just my opinion and there is no such thing as an unattractive 993!

If the WB look is important to you, then hold out for one, but in terms of driving experience, either one is sure to please.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:52 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 96C4S
...if you originally REALLY wanted a widebody, I think you might feel shortchanged if you don't buy one even if it's got high miles (ie: you might constantly be looking at widebodies, driving your regular C2 and thinking... "I wish I just went for it")
Now THIS would be the worst possible scenario...it's like when you build a house, and decide to save a few grand on something you will look at every day for next 10 years. You will kick yourself everytime you see it. Don't make that mistake. If you REALLY want a widebody...save up until you can get what you want. I always say "never be afraid to buy what you really want...because you know you will like it".
Old 06-08-2004, 02:28 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe you will "feel" anything from the driver's seat. You might "feel" in your head that you are driving a NB. Wait, save some more and get what you are longing for.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:22 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Allen
Now THIS would be the worst possible scenario...it's like when you build a house, and decide to save a few grand on something you will look at every day for next 10 years. You will kick yourself everytime you see it. Don't make that mistake. If you REALLY want a widebody...save up until you can get what you want. I always say "never be afraid to buy what you really want...because you know you will like it".
I second that comment. I will add that the RS is built on a narrow body and if you ever decide to upgrade to RS spec then you will have the car to do so
But be warned it will be expensive

Harry
Old 06-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with RSman.

Some RS's are importable to the US as street cars. The MOT requires airbags installed.

If you go this way, might be less expensive to buy a real thing and import. About $80000 at today's exchange rate.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:08 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CP
Nick,

Incidentally, there was a thread where someone put rear shots of a WB and a NB (both cars were white if I recall) together. That is the best comparison shot I have seen. I prefer the proportions of the NB, and no, I'm not biased.

Good luck with your quest.

CP
Here are those pics. Slightly different angle but enough to show the difference IMO.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Widebody
Old 06-08-2004, 10:30 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

the angle in this pic is probably more comparable to that of the widebody above...

Last edited by David in LA; 06-08-2004 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:37 AM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

The narrow body outline overlayed onto the widebody using NZ 9elven's pics.

Not exact due to the slightly different angle and distance from the car. On a 993, the difference in width between the two isn't all that much, or is it?

Old 06-08-2004, 11:07 AM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

My exact price range is probably no more than 42k. It just seems like there aren't any widebodies out there for that price unless they're green or they have over 70k miles.

Quick Reply: Is there a real difference in feel between widebody and narrow cars?