Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is your steering wheel centered with your seat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 02:02 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Is your steering wheel centered with your seat?

I learned something new today.

As we were driving down to the Rumble, my daughter asked me: "Dad, do you know that the steering wheel is NOT centered?"

I looked down, and sure enough, the center of the steering wheel is right above my right thigh, about 3-4 inches off centere with the seat. In six months of owning/driving the car, I never realized that. I reasoned that may be when RUF installed the Recaro A-8s, the width of the seat had moved the seating to the left.

When I got to the rumble, I asked permissions to sit in four 993s, and.....the steering wheels were off centered in ALL of them, regardless of what kind of seats were in the car. In fact, Temple jumped into his own car, and discovered the same thing.

So, does anyone out there have a steering wheel that is centered with the seat? If not, how many of you realize this off-center deal?

Thanks.

CP

Last edited by CP; 10-03-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:09 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CP:

If you check, very few cars have the wheel actually centered. Check your M5, as example. It is probably better than the P-Car for center, but no where close to dead on.

From when I did engineering work on large scale truck chassis, there are many dimensional comprimises needed for clearing the steered front wheels and other items. These functional issues, placement of suspension pick up points, etc. usually cause the controls to be offeset a bit... When laying out a chassis, it is a fun puzzle to sort through.

The worst car I have ever seen, steering wheel wise is the Pantera. It was down right awkward when I drove one....

$0.02
Old 06-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This is typical of 911's; I think it was finally "fixed" on the 996 series.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:31 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
I learned something new today.

As we were driving down to the Rumble, my daughter asked me: "Dad, do you know that the steering wheel is NOT centered?"

I looked down, and sure enough, the center of the steering wheel is right above my right thigh, about 3-4 inches off centere with the seat. In six months of owning/driving the car, I never realized that. I reasoned that may be when RUF installed the Recaro A-8s, the width of the seat had moved the seating to the left.

When I got to the rumble, I asked permissions to sit in four 993s, and.....the steering wheels were off centered in ALL of them, regardless of what kind of seats were in the car. In fact, Temple jumped into his own car, and discovered the same thing.

So, does anyone out there have a steering wheel that is centered with the seat? If not, how many of you realize this off-center deal?

Thanks.

CP
Hell of a bump, i know! But 3-4 inches? Does he mean 3/4 of an inch?
Old 08-13-2019, 12:08 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts

3/4 inch -

Quick Reply: Is your steering wheel centered with your seat?