Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for replacing sunroof felts..

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts
Lightbulb Advice for replacing sunroof felts..

I'm going to replace my worn and white (with wax and crud) sunroof felts that seal the roof from the outside.. I have the parts, I was wondering what advice I could get from others who have done this.. I did the same in my old 964 and liked the results.. it took a bit of time.. I found a decent adhesive, which is a bit flexible (E6000) and good for fabric/plastic/leather. Any advice on getting the old adhesive off??

Coleman.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used something called 'Goof Off' on interior bits w. success (like the airbag warning stickers from sun visors). There's also 3M adhesive remover, which is probably a bit more powerful. I'd be inclined to start w. the weaker product, and if that won't do the job, move up the scale.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:04 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Coleman,

Have you done this yet? While washing the car yesterday I noticed some little gaps between the felt and the roof where small bits of water could leak into the car. I need to do this soon and was wondering if it is a DIY or a shop type of thing.

Let me know,

-Skip
Old 06-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

I have to do it really soon, as about 3" of the strip is coming off.. I'll buy some "goof off" or the 3M stuff later today and start removing the old adhesive.. as I said before, I had done it on a 964, not too hard, just some scraping..

Coleman..
Old 06-08-2004, 04:50 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Coleman,

I would be careful with Goof-Off as I believe it will eat away at the paint where as the 3M adhesive remover is more safe for the paint stuff. Let me know how it goes as I'll probably be doing it soon as well.

What adhesive will you use to re-attach the new felt?

Good luck!

-Skip
Old 06-26-2004, 01:33 PM
WillyC4S
Racer

Coleman, Skip

Have you guys finished the sunroof felt repair?

I need to do this on my car after it got detailed by a local shop and they totally buffed the felt down to the roots.

I've been researching some online material and I think the only tricky part that has to be removed is the headliner cover on the sunroof. This then supposedly allows you access to unbolting the track mechanism so the actual sunroof can be removed. The felt strip can be glued to the rear of the sunroof. The front felt strip is easily removeable and then glued.

I think people were recommending a 3M weatherstrip adhesive to glue the felt back on; makes sense.

Any tips from experienced people?

Thanks,

Old 06-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Greetings from Rotterdam. (all jet laqued and such..) I had completed the R&R of the felts and it was simple. The sunroof comes out without much fuss, I had searched both the 993 and 964 lists on it's removal and there is a buch of posts on it's removal. The Headliner cover pops out of it's snap postition, not much of an issue. I used a marine adhesive remover that was amazing.. I forget the name right now, but it was in an ounce bottle and I got it at a marine store. I used a contact cement, but my oly word of warning is this.. Lay the felts out on a bench, tape them down and mask off half of the felt that you dont want to get glue on.. paint the glue on and then remove the mask. Otherwise the glue will migrate to the areas where the felt is exposed and look like crap. I had to redo one, as I first trusted my hand at getting a straight line, but I was all over the place.

Coleman,
Old 06-27-2004, 12:54 AM
WillyC4S
Racer

Coleman,

Thanks for the info. I did a search under 964 and 993 and found the most useful posting for me was by Graham Mitchell with his picture of the sunroof off and the mounting points exposed (pic taken from outside car on passenger side). Thanks Graham!

My question to you is this:

If you look at the rear mounting point for the sunroof, you'll see that there are 2 plates that are sandwiched together which are then bolted to the sunroof. The upper plate is pictured in Graham's pic; the lower plate is not since it was removed to get the roof off (I'm assuming this; but since his car is an earlier vehicle than my '97, don't know if they had minor variations in mounting hardware).

My question to you is regarding the lower plate. This plate is secured to the sunroof via 2 "ears" or tabs on the sunroof itself. The tabs look like they were punched on judging from the marks on the paint.

Did you have to pry up the tabs to loosen this plate or did you slide the plate out from under the metal tabs without disturbing the tabs?

Also, when you re-installed the lower plate, did you just slide it back in or did you have to re-punch the tabs to seat the plate securely against the sunroof?

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Advice for replacing sunroof felts..