Sponsored by:

What's the verdict on K&N vs. Mahle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What's the verdict on K&N vs. Mahle?

I know there's huge debate on this with earlier 911's, but have not seen much on it with 993's. Yes, I did a search and found a lot of stuff on hot air with cone set-ups, CEL's and filter disintegration.

But which offers the best protection without a decrease in performance? My car came with a K&N filter (non-cone style). I've cleaned and re-oiled it once. Just did it again last week and was dissatisfied with the cleaning. So I did not reinstall. It just didn't look clean enough after following the directions twice. So I bought an OEM Mahle filter yesterday. Now I just want to hear what everyone thinks about one vs. the other.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I ran a K&N filter in my original VW GTI back in the 80's, had a cone-style filter on my Pathfinder in the mid-90's and briefly tried it on my recently sold 4Runner. On the Pathfinder, the cone filter made the engine sound better, and I thought I could detect better performance. However, after reading on the internet about the dubious benefits and possibly compromised air cleaning abilities of the oil and mesh system, I decided to leave the stock paper filters in my 993 and Sequoia. Traditionally, I have never kept cars for longer than three years, so I have no idea whether the K&N system was detrimental to long-term engine health.

I'd say use the stock filter and try and find your performence elsewhere.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:20 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, I tried to run the evo cone filter on my OBDII and was getting consistent o2 cel's. When I spoke to Steve Weiner, he highly recommended against running the cones on OBDII's (has to do with the positions of the sensors and the inability for the ecu to adjust accordingly). There is no problem running a cone on OBDI (my mechanic has ran one on his '95 c2 for years with no problems). From a sound perspective, the cones do sound incredible though.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My K&N is the same shape at the stock filter. I have the stock airbox, albeit a drilled-out lid. I won't put a cone set-up on there, though I wouldn't mind having the extra space.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:20 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
The free flow filter v. oem paper debate has been here for many years. Other than seller's claims, I've yet to see substantiation of HP gains. OTOH, owner's have posted dyno comparisons showing no gain. ...

Based on reports I've read, I have concerns about reduced filtration. The oil impregnated gauze filters (e.g., K&N) must be properly cleaned & re-oiled w/special oil to remain effective. I don't know anyone w/a K&N who diligently follows that messy routine.

I had a K&N on my Volvo turbo for years & other than more intake noise, found no performance improvement when measured by my G-Tech. I went back to oem paper when I noticed a lot more crap in the filter box that had passed through the K&N. Admittedly anecdotal, but it convinced me I wanted better protection for my Porsche.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:41 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my K&N because it was too thick and did not fit well. When you clamp down on the airbox, it is way too tight. I'm afraid that overtime with the high temps in the engine bay, the airbox clamps will break off. This happened to 2 944 Turbos I had. So, I'm back to the original Mahles and they work just like the factory intended them to.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:47 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

I got a K&N and it fits perfectly?

Maybe it has something to do that I have the motorsound option?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Didn't K&N take their airbox-shaped filter off the market because the gasket could crumble off and get sucked into the engine? Or are they back on the market?

I just stick a new Mahle in every year and don't worry about it.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:50 PM
sptschoice
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the K & N cone filter and love the engine sound at high revs
Old 06-02-2004, 03:35 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The K&N Filters are still on the market. I also remember complaints about the gasket flaking off. I did notice parts of my gasket were damaged after installation due to the fact that it was such a tight fit. Clamping down on the gasket may have damaged it, I don't know. I'd stick with the Mahle's since you will not gain a thing in performance on a street car other than a different sound.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:25 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

K&N for 993s was off the market to correct the gasket disintegration problem. AFAIK that's been fixed & they are again available.

Quick Reply: What's the verdict on K&N vs. Mahle?