Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it make sense to replace springs only?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does it make sense to replace springs only?

I just picked up a set of Eibach springs on eBay for $125, supposedly reduces the height by an inch or so.

Does it make sense to replace the springs only? AFAIK the shocks are the originals. Do I have to get the car aligned after repacing springs only?

Replacing shocks is looking kinda pricey, and I'm hoping to avoid it as the car handles well.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:24 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a search, you'll see that most people recommend NOT replacing just springs. Those who have, have all posted that it was a mistake and that they would do the shocks if they could do it all over. If you are having a shop do the work, it'll cost nearly as much for just the shock change as it would if you did both. You'll be paying labor charges again down the road when you decide you want shocks. Do it right the first time, it'll save you in the end. Anytime your car is raised or lowered, you must do a proper alignment.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:24 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Sachin,

Once you pull the old shocks off the car, you will find that they are totally useless. I used to think my car handled pretty well with my ROW springs and 60,000 mile Monroes. Ha! You will need to have the car aligned and corner-balanced after the spring replacement, plus you will have already done the labor for the shock install. Bite the bullet. At the very least, get a set of Bilstein HDs. Or really bite the bullet and sell those Eibachs, and get a set of PSS-9s. BTW, I believe I've heard on this board that the Eibachs are a poor match with the Bilstein HDs... so forget option # 2, and go straight to option #3 (where option #1 was keeping your totally toasted stock shocks... blech).

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Thx guys. I guess the springs will sit on the shelf for a bit. I was hoping to avoid the additional cost of doing the shocks too.

I'd love to step up to PSS9's but they are just too much for me right now. Blew my budget on the SC.

Are the Eibachs any good? I thought they were a good match with the Bilsteins (according to a Rennlist search)
Old 06-01-2004, 08:32 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sachin, get new shocks as well. Your SC 993 will feel so much more connected to the road. Suspension should be the first "maintenance" mod we do.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:38 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Eibachs are the bottom of the barrel IMO.

Get the Bilstein HD's with the extra threads to lower the car and M030 springs. You will be much happier with that set up.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:42 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 64 Posts

Steve, I had never heard about Eibachs being a bad match with Bilstein HDs. IMO they would be terrible with a set of high-mile stock Monroes though !! Whatever little life left in your stock shocks/struts will be used in a hurry with the new lower ride height.

Of all the aftermarket springs, Eibachs are probably the softest. Quite close to the original springs in my estimation. So, the only reason to use them would be to lower the car. And the only way I would install them is with Bilstein HDs. (which is exactly what i did by the way , in addition to RS swaybars).

If I would have had a crystal ball at the time of my purchase, I would have waited for Gert's extra thread Bilsteins and used M030 springs.

As others have said, the approx. $500 -$700 to install with the old shocks and align would be money well wasted.

as usual, just my 2 cents; and YMMV ....( Your Monroes May Very)
Old 06-01-2004, 10:58 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the others: definitely go with Gert's xtra thread bilsteins and either the m030 springs or H&R springs (depending on how low you want to take the car). For the price you paid, you should be able to sell the eibachs and not lose any money.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:16 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
Eibachs are the bottom of the barrel IMO.

Get the Bilstein HD's with the extra threads to lower the car and M030 springs. You will be much happier with that set up.
Dont mean to rain on your parade, but I too agree with what Greg says about Eibach's and also his recommendation for suspension..

Quick Reply: Does it make sense to replace springs only?