Suggestion for the Board

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 04:08 AM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Suggestion for the Board

I read a lot of threads on this Board, all full of useful information and great camraderie. However, it sometimes feels like the discussions are very centered around things like; "how to clean and shine my P-car", or "what oil or tires or suspension", or "what this little thingy does or doesn't do. I have a suggestion, everybody take a few days off and drive your 993, and drive it till it's dirty. I just took a few days off here in Northern California and headed up the coast. Stayed at "grifter motels", fly-fished three rivers, took some amazing drives up Highway 1, Matolle Road, 199, 96 and 101.

For 1200 miles over 4 days, my 96 C4S was amazing, exhilarating, predictable, fast, reliable, stealthy, (thanks Valentine One, and above all hilarilously fun.

So simply put Board; take 'em out and get some bugs on the headlights, bring em home dirty no matter which twisty road you find. You'll return re-energized and we'll all have interesting stories to share on the Board.

(p.s. as soon as the film is developed, I'll scan in pictures of the P-car in the "drive-through" trees)
Old 07-10-2001, 04:21 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NICE!!!!!....you mean you can drive "our" P cars on roads?...(only kidding).....My wife and I are planning a motor home trip this august.....she was plain amazed.....when I siad i would drive behind..(before heehhee) with my 98 p car...cali, nevada, utah, arizona....In My Own Opinion. I think sometimes we forget.......these cars were built by hand,and meant to be driven.!!!!!
Old 07-10-2001, 09:57 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Hey Jimmy, I drive mine every day. Just clicked 97,000 miles and going great.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:47 AM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me, too, EJ.

That 30 miles of twisty two lane between home and office is worth thousands of stress relief. I arrive at the office energized and ready to go and get home with a smile on my face for my wife and kids.

My car will never win a concours, but it is well used and loved.

Curtis
Old 07-10-2001, 11:04 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

And to think some people pay good money for that kind of therapy.

Old 07-10-2001, 12:08 PM
SeanD
Instructor

I drive mine every day! Well, OK, NOT if it's raining! My office is only 4 miles over the causeway.

Did I mention that I live on the beach and drive over the river to and from work? (I live on a island) Throw a 993 as in as my transportation and a view of the water at home and work and you could say that I found my own little piece of heaven...
Old 07-10-2001, 12:32 PM
Darryl
Advanced

Lesson learned:

I use to pamper my car until I found a small oil leak. After a 10 day, engine out, warranty job from the dealer, the tech told me my plugs were fouled because of the type of driving I did, stop and go. Since then my car has been a daily driver and I take it for long drives. My norm is to drive it for 2 hours connecting on to 3 freeways which brings pure delight even in the rain. In Hawaii that's quite a bit of non-stop driving. I enjoy the car and I can tell you she runs better and cleaner than before...
Old 07-10-2001, 01:08 PM
Stuart Ross UK 1996 C4
Advanced

Darryl, you might be able to help... I'm getting married next year and was considering Hawaii for the Honeymoon. Maui and Kauai.

Is there any areas / islands I should especially consider. Cost is not really an issue....

Many thanks

Stuart
Old 07-10-2001, 01:42 PM
NickA
Advanced

Cool

Stuart - I did those two for my honeymoon in 1995. The Four Seasons in Maui was the best hotel experience I've ever had, bar none. Simply beautiful, and the service was completely top notch. Princeville on Kauai is the natural choice and it won't disappoint, particularly if you like to play golf. I would spend more time on Maui vs. Kauai if I had it to do over again. Definitely bike down Mt. Haleakala (?) and take the long helicopter tour of Maui. A Pacific Cafe on Kauai was the best restaurant of the trip (don't know if it's still there). Good luck & enjoy!

- Nick
ncamos@bellatlantic.net
My 993TT for sale web page

Old 07-10-2001, 02:33 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

I'd recommend the Kea Lani hotel on Maui. I spent a week there last year and it was fantastic.
Old 07-10-2001, 06:06 PM
Chad in NH
Intermediate

I agree with Kevin, the Kea Lani is fantastic, and that end of the island is less crowded and quieter than Kaanapali.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:14 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I DO!!!

I DO!!!!

How many other 993's (this is a '95) have over 60K miles (it had 3600 on it when bought in spring '96)?
Old 07-10-2001, 07:35 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

I have 47.5K miles on my 993 and I swear it is smoother and more powerful now than when new. I drive it every day, I have a 7 mile commute; down Golden West Street to Pacific Coast Highway (PCH), a 4 mile roll down along Bolsa Chica Beach (it used to be known as "tin can beach" made famous in "The Ninth Wave" by Eugene Burdick who also wrote "The Ugly American") and then up Warner to "The Little Pressure Gauge Factory that Could". Never let me down has always been responsive and a true blue companion.

As for Hawaii; I like the Kapalua Villa's on Maui. Great golf courses (one of the best in the world IMHO is The Plantation).
Old 07-10-2001, 08:34 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine's a daily driver - every season, every weather, and everywhere (well almost). My office is barely a half mile from my home, but it's not uncommon for me to take the looong way home to make sure my oil cooler still works, my tires haven't lost their grip and the Motorsound still sings

Jimmy - don't worry, there are plenty of us on the Board using our P cars to kill bugs quickly.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:06 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts
Almost 1K miles along the California coast this week, spread among 3 trips between Monterey and San Francisco, 2 with a friend, today with my wife. Goes in for 60K svc this Thurs. Running better than new. All those years in the office wondering what the weather was like 35 miles away at the ocean. I smiled when a friend told me I would have a high mileage car at trade-in time.

Quick Reply: Suggestion for the Board