Sponsored by:

Pss-9 And Bouncy Feel

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 03:58 AM
cojackin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pss-9 And Bouncy Feel

HI EVERYBODY JUST WANT TO START BY SAYING I LOVE THIS WEB SITE AND ALL THE TREADS OF INFO AVAILABLE ON OUR P-CARS IT HAS BEEN HELPFUL IN UNDERSTANDING ALL THE ASPECTS OF A 993.I HAVE OWNED A PORSCHE FOR OVER 10 YEARS AND STILL LOVING THEM MORE AND MORE EVERYDAY. NO MATTER WHAT THEY ARE BEST SPORTS CARS EVER BUILT IN MY OPINION.I HAVE A 95 C2 COUPE JUST INSTALLED PSS-9 KIT AND TRG SWAYS AFTER 42000 MILES AND THE CAR IS TRANFORMED .NO UNDERSTEER, NO LOSS OF GRIP , AND NO SWAY. ILOVE THAT ADJUSTABILITY OF THIS SETUP AND STILL TRYING TO FIND THE RIGHT SEETINGS FOR STREET USE IN LA ,CA.I WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU WITH THIS SETUP WERE EXPERIENCING SLIGHT BOUNCYNESS FROM THE REAR.IS IT NORMAL OR NOT. I CURRENTLY HAVE THE RIDE HIGHT SET A RS AND THE BARS IN MIDDLE WITH THE SHOCKS SET TO 8 ALL AROUND . WILL POST PICS SOON.ANY REPLIES WOULD BE APPRECIATED.THX..
Old 05-30-2004, 10:23 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Hi, Cojackin,

Welcome to the board!

I had RS bars on my car when I had PSS-9's but never experienced bounciness at a soft settings such as yours. When I set the front and rear shocks at 1 and 2, I occasionally had some rear end oscillations coming out of a certain turn at a local track but only after I swithced from 17" tires to 18". Maybe your settings are too soft to adequately control dampening. Try stiffening up your shocks and see if that helps.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:42 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed my own PSS-9 with the turbo sways (just under ROW ride height... RS alignment settings) and I also thought the ride was a little bouncy with the shocks set on full soft. I know a lot of folks on this board like the "full soft" setting on their Bilsteins, but not me. I played with the settings for a couple of weeks before I settled on 4 for the front and 6 for the rear... or was that 6 for the front and 4 for the rear??? Whichever is firmer is what the rear is set to...

I LOVE the way the PSS-9's transformed my car from a "safely tuned" car that pushed (understeered) whenever driven near the edge, to a "neutrally-tuned" car that can now be coaxed into oversteer if that's what I want...

I would suggest firming up the shock settings... should eliminate the "bouncy" feeling you describe.

Best of luck and have fun with your ride!
Old 05-30-2004, 10:43 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the settings at 9 all around (the softest) and there is no bouncing in the rear or front. 9 is perfrect for around town, but on the track we are 3F/1R.

Good luck.

Skip
Old 05-30-2004, 02:36 PM
kary993
Drifting

When I had the PSS9's (and TRG bars, monoballs) on my car I never had any bouncing motion on the street except when I had the setting to 1 and was on a freeway that had those blocks of cement. These are sort of a rolling situation which was boucing at higher speeds because the shocks were too stiff given that road type. So the car would bounce alittle trying to handle the bumpiness of the freeway. When I had the shocks set to 8/9 on the same freeway I never had any issue.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:31 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

With my settings set at 8 you could visually see the nose or tail bouncing up and down, at probably 2 cycles per second at highway speeds. I set front and rear to 7 and it went away for good.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:43 PM
cojackin
Intermediate

THX ALL FOR THE REPLIES I WAS OUT OF TOWN FOR THE WEEKEND AND COULD NOT POST ANYTHING. I WILL STIFFEN UP THE SHOCKS A LITTLE BIT AND EXPERIMENT BUT THE BOUNCY FEEL THAT I AM EXPERIENCING IS NOT AS BAD AS IT SOUNDS SO STIFFENING THEM UP MIGHT SOLVE THE PROBLEM AS IT SEEMS TO DO MORE WITH UNEVEN PAVEMENT. IF THE SHOP THAT INSTALLED THE KIT USED AN IMPACT WRENCH ON THE REARS COULD THAY HAVE BLOWN MY SHOCKS AND THE REAR TO FEEL BOUNCY BUT THIS ALL COULD BE MY IMAGINATION. HAS ANYBODY FELT BLOWN PSS-9'S AND COULD EXPLAIN THE WAY THEY FEEL. THX.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:56 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

You might also want to check your toe settings. After my PSS9s went on, I though the car was a little 'bouncy' and 'light-footed'. During alignment, they told me that my rear toe settings were off. After alignment, no more bounce.

Please also switch off your 'cap locks' when you type. It's easier to read that way.

Thanks.

CP
Old 06-01-2004, 06:40 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

co jackin,

It seems that I have found my equal when it comes to being obsessive over things. I worried about the same thing you are, about a shop ruining the shocks from using an impact gun. If the shop is half way decent it will do not harm. As for the bounciness, if you think it might be in your imagination it probably is. I am slowly trying to work on this myself. I tend to imagine sounds, feelings etc, and focus on it way too much. I had some odd feeling with the pss9's myself of the car feeling a little floaty and I think it was the rear toe. I got the rear toe set properly and all isright. These cars are EXTREMELY sensitive alignment so make sure it is right.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:20 AM
cojackin
Intermediate

It really looks like it might be an alignment problem since everyone says they are very sensitive to their settings just like I am sensitive to its settings .the last shop did not have the tools to do kinematic toe in the rear so i am going to get another alignment. Does anybody know who can do this around the L.A. ,Ca area. thx.

Quick Reply: Pss-9 And Bouncy Feel