Sponsored by:

flywheel problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 02:22 PM
Ralf
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question flywheel problem

I bought a 1996 993 last July and for the past month or two, the clutch has engaged only for the top inch or so of pedal travel, and there is a rattling noise upon start-up and shut-down. The mechanic told me my dual mass flywheel is shot and will need to be replaced (about $3600). He has suggested replacement with a RSA flywheel (because this will happen again), and is checking on how well the idle/stalling fixes are working out. Do you all have any thoughts? btw, the car has 25,000 miles, and only 4 DE track events. ( I didn't think I drove the car TAHT hard???)
Old 07-05-2001, 02:27 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralf; 25K seems a little soon to me to be changing the flywheel and clutch. But sometimes failure is random. My own flywheel is fine (great actually) at 47K.

Proceed with caution on the fly wheel change. You should ask Tom Randel who is a frequent poster about his experiences.

I would only upgrade to the lighter flywheel if I were an enthusiast. That is to say if I was interested in speed to the exclusion of some road manners and comfort then and only then would I consider the light weight flywheel route.
Old 07-05-2001, 03:06 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The rattling noise at start-up and shut-down certainly sounds like a bad flywheel. I had that happen with my previous 964 at 14.5K miles.

It is not uncommon for a 993 dual-mass flywheel to go bad prematurely. They are not very reliable and the rubber isolating ring can start deteriorating as early as 20K miles. Mine was just replaced this week at 25.5K miles because it had just started to go bad.

Quick Reply: flywheel problem