Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Headlight adjustment holes not aligned?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2001, 10:54 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts
Angry Headlight adjustment holes not aligned?!

This is wierd. I went to adjust the aiming of my headlights (Litronics if it matters). Started with the right (passenger) side. All went fine. Pulled the carpet back, opened the plug giving access to the vertical and horizontal adjustment holes, made the changes.

Went to the left side, and the alignment holes can't be reached with the allen wrench. They appear to be set back further by about 1/2". I measured the distance from a fixed point (top of strut tower) to the oval opening in the body and it's the same on both sides.

I took both headlights out and compared them side by side -- the alignment holes are placed in the same location.

It appears that the inside black brackets that holds the lights are slightly different left from right. The holes for accessing the alignment screws are located further back on the left side.

I had to take the headlight assembly out to make the adjustments. What a pain.

Does anyone else have this problem? This car has not been in an accident. Think that I could (or should) get this fixed by PCNA?

Thanks,

John

Here you can see that the two black access holes for the alignment screws are set further back than the access hole in the fender.

Here you can see that both access holes in the fenders are placed at the same location left and right.

Left side:

Right side:

Old 07-05-2001, 12:32 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
John:

I believe what you described is standard--you need to use a ball headed (if that's the right term) allen wrench. It gives you the ability to access the adjustment holes from an angle and no worries about stripping anything.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:01 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jack is correct - bought mine at Sears.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:49 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts
OK, thanks guys. Off to buy a ballheaded allen wrench...

Quick Reply: Headlight adjustment holes not aligned?!