what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 01:43 AM
vincent
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face what should i do?

my friend just order 2002 corvette zo6 with
400 HP ( 0-60 just 3.9 seconds). he said my car 993 will be history!. I want to have a car that can beat his car. I never used car for race track . Any body have an corvette for daily use?.how it compare with porsche ?
thanks for advice .
Old 07-05-2001, 02:00 AM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
993 will be history - a part of history that is. The Z06 is a great car, especially for the $$. BUT a 911 is a 911 and it's not just about speed. If you're intent on keeping up, you'll probably need a 993TT. Maybe you need to own a Z06 if raw HP is all that's important to you. If it is, why buy a 993 in the first place??

To be honest, you being a 993 owner,I'm surprized you'd care. Look at the depreciation of a 3yr old vette VS a 3 year old 911 - that'll tell you something right there.
Old 07-05-2001, 02:05 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

All I can say is - grow up!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2001, 03:02 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Vincent,

If the drivers have the same ability on the track, you will be toast.

No matter how fast you are, there is always someone around that is faster. But what a big difference in quality between the two cars!!!

Take Ray's advice, then don't worry about it.

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Rick in Portland ]
Old 07-05-2001, 04:17 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

gentlemen, gentlemen...I watched the speedvision program....the zo6, against, the new bmw m3, against the porsche boxster s...the Porsche finished last!!!!!!worst braking, wortst skid pad, etc...the New z06...pulled 1g thru the skid pad...brakied 60 to zero, and 100 too zero........so far better than out dariling.....porsche,,,,,ist was emabarrising...the boxster was out handled, out paced, out manurved.....by the bmw, and the corvette........aaa freaking corvette.......since when does gm. build a better sports car than porsche?.....oh yea,,, gm builds the yukon, and suburban..those wonderfull sport utiltys.......hey waait a min.......I think Porsche is comming out with a sport ute??????....It was a sad day........
Old 07-05-2001, 12:32 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

That was up against a Boxster!!! Gheesh.

The Corvette is the best GM has to offer. Let's compare that to the best Porsche can offer, ie.. the Turbo or the GT2. Both of which would readjust that outcome.
Old 07-05-2001, 12:58 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

I've been on the track with a ZO6 (in my C2S). He made tons more power in the straights, and I was starting to lose him after a couple of laps, but then I reeled him in and passed him, presumably as his brakes overheated.

In another session, he passed me early and I was not able to stay with him.
Old 07-05-2001, 02:29 PM
Rohan Nath
Racer

Wink

Looks like we have another George in the making.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:56 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Tone; If you want a drag racer, get a Corvette. But heed the warning about the depreciation listed above. On the autocross track given competent driving I'd still stake the 993 with stock chassis, etc.
Old 07-05-2001, 05:33 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

I saw that Motor Trend comparision (Z06 vs. M3 vs. Boxster S). Funny choices, aye? Talk about apples and oranges.

The Vette did post the best lateral acceleration rating (1.0 g) and was very fast off the line (0-60 in 4.2 sec if you can ever believe MT's numbers ), BUT it was all over the place.

Handling required a lot of steering corrections, and appeared to keep the driver very busy. I'm sure the car is awesome in a competent driver's hands, but it appeared to be mostly about brute force, with less emphasis on finesse and precision. Maybe a bit Viper-ish?

As if it matters, MT chose the M3 as their favorite car. I think this points out that the Vette has its strong points, but may not be the best all around package.
Old 07-05-2001, 09:28 PM
Timg-B'ham
8th Gear

Vincent,

I guess everyone has their own reasons for owning their particular auto.

For me, nothing tickles me more than to let local co-ma-ro or other GM product owners squeal away from a green light in hopes of trying to entice me into a race.

I simply smile and continue down the road in a much classier ride.

Its like the old joke about the young bull and the old bull at the top of the hill. They gazed down upon a whole herd of young cows.

The young bull excitely said, "Hey, lets race down the hill and 'have our way' with one of them cows!"

The older bull looked over and calmly said, "No, lets just amble down the hill and have our way with ALL of them!"

If I were you, I wouldn't get too excited about your friend's ride. I certainly wouldn't be goaded into a street race.
Old 07-05-2001, 09:44 PM
993Widebody
Racer

vincent - keep your 993 and supercharge it!!! did you see the most recent excellence magazine? Just guessing, but the supercharged 993 can probably keep up with the Z06.

And we all know that the Porsche 993 is a better car in all the other IMPORTANT ways.

For one thing, the 993 is stunning to look at, I wouldn't say the same about the vette.
Old 07-06-2001, 12:34 AM
Tone
Racer

Question

Garey Cooper, why did you list "Tone" on your post above? I think you type-o'd or misunderstood the intention of my post.
Old 07-06-2001, 01:43 AM
vincent
8th Gear

Smile

thanks for all the advice. I will keep my 993 and start saving for zo6. hopefully , I will not change my mind by then
Old 07-06-2001, 06:43 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
My father used to own a 993 C2S, which then changed for a 996 (C2S turned out to be oddly too problematic). He then got rid of the 996 and got himself a 2001 C5 Convertible "for the fun of it". Now he has placed an order for a 2002 Z06.

His mentality is that for the price, nothing comes close to the performance of the Vette, and I do think everyone is aware of this. With regards to the depreciation issue, his reply to me was that with what he saves on the purchase price, it mores than offsets the higher depreciation percentages.

Don´t misunderstand me, I would take the 911 any day over the Z06 , but there are arguements to be made. To match the performance of a Z06 by a Porsche, one would have to spend almost 3 times as much.

Gus

Quick Reply: what should i do?