993 Forum 1995-1998

life insurance policy

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 12:47 PM
Phil Sacramento 95 993
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy life insurance policy

I have a life insurance policy through work. Does anyone know if a standard policy applies for track events (driver's ed and not racing)? Or do I need to get extra coverage? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:48 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Phil,
I have never heard of a life insurance plan that specifically excludes track events. You can be rated up due to a hazardous hobby or job when you apply for a plan (aviation, racing, handgliding, etc.). Even suicide is covered on most plans after a two year incontestablility period. I am a life/health agent and I am not aware of any supplemental coverages you can purchase for a track event.
Greg
Old 07-05-2001, 02:38 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Uh, I would read the contract. I have more than one life insurance policy and they usually have exlusionary clauses of what type or another. There is specific language covering things like speed events, sky diving, and etc. The only way to tell is to look at the policy itself with a competely critical eye.

The other thing to do is to find a third party, for instance an attorney if you want to spend the money and have them look at your policy.

But, read the policy!
Old 07-05-2001, 05:23 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I recently spoke with my State Farm rep, and she assured me that DE events are definitely covered under my policy. The key words are "Driver Education".

Any amateur race labeled as such would not be covered. As I understand it (from Greg, actually), additional insurance is available through companies such as Conseco for these races (expensive though - I've heard $800/race).

I agree with Garey about the importance of reviewing your own policy and speaking directly with your rep and/or an attorney.

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:23 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Easy, DON'T DIE!

Shhhhh don't tell your wife if you are not covered at the track or you may never race again. ......

Sean

Quick Reply: life insurance policy