Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Future 993 Oil Filter Supply - A statement

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 09:41 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

Recently published in the Financial Post. Ford loses around $40K per EV and GM loses almost $70K. A replacement Chevy Volt battery is around $20K. Battery input costs are rising so battery costs will continue to rise. China will continue to be the low-cost producer and get all of the jobs. Oh, ya and there's that low range thing that remains in spite of so-called visionaries' promises. Economics, jobs and consumer demand will win the day. Can't see this EV fantasy happening. Don't think those oil filter lines will be shut down anytime soon.

Last edited by ronnie993tt; 08-10-2023 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:54 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 277 Posts

People will drink the "EV Cool Aid" for just so long, then there will be a rude awakening. Regardless, the fires in the Western U.S., Canada and Hawaii have wiped out all the anti-pollution efforts from EV's for the next hundred years or so.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:38 AM
Bobley
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

The thing that gets me is that people spend a fortune on these souless monstrosities and just leave them sat around. My neighbours are buying Taycans because they're Porsches but in 30 years time the Taycan will be on its 3rd battery. No one is going to want to buy a car with such overheads. Meanwhile our 993s just keep going with the odd new bush or seal? There wont be any more classic Porsches...

Meanwhile, if I need to go anywhere in town I'll hail an autonomous EV taxi and jump in that. I've got no problem letting someone drive me about.

People wont bother learning to drive or buy cars at all.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:43 AM
rdad993
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't see the EV revolution expanding from a niche in the automotive world for a long time yet. Just in my city there are literally thousands of new apartment units newly constructed or under construction for all the new folks coming to town. Few of these complexes have anything more than a few recharging stations, which are very expensive to build and maintain. Private landlords aren't able to make the numbers work and still make their mortgage payments. My point is where will these tenants recharge their EV's? Many folks can't and won't ever be able to afford these EV's, so ICE cars and trucks will be around for a long time to come.
The early adopters want everyone to join in the "revolution" and I get their enthusiasm and zeal but economic reality will still be running the big show. When that reality is that EV's are everyman vehicles, that is when it will be and then we won't need any more oil filters.

Last edited by rdad993; 08-10-2023 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-10-2023, 09:53 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts

If anyone wants to read a serious policy analysis about why the EV crusade will fail:

https://manhattan.institute/article/...possible-dream
The following users liked this post:
ronnie993tt (08-12-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 09:42 AM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI. I ordered both the genuine Porsche filters from Pelican Parts about 2 weeks ago, and they are all Made in Austria.
Old 08-11-2023, 01:20 PM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Novice
FYI. I ordered both the genuine Porsche filters from Pelican Parts about 2 weeks ago, and they are all Made in Austria.
For now until the Austrian made filters are liquidated than the new era begins.

Also keep in mind Mahle is the sole makers of our beloved pistons and cylinders that keep our air-cooled engines running efficiently with longevity and I just hope they will continue to be produced in the EU.

Last edited by C4Spolar; 08-11-2023 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2023, 01:46 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 90 Posts

As written, but not answered in all the oil filter posts and threads- irrespective of where and by whom they're made, do they function identically? How does one know?

Austria, for sure, great pastries, coffee, stellar scenery, and most integral part of the Porsche Legacy. But, are Chinese or other outsourced pieces "OK", even if their copies look a bit different? In the U.S. now, as is clear, to find anything nit made in China is an exception.
Old 08-12-2023, 01:02 AM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fsa
As written, but not answered in all the oil filter posts and threads- irrespective of where and by whom they're made, do they function identically? How does one know?

Austria, for sure, great pastries, coffee, stellar scenery, and most integral part of the Porsche Legacy. But, are Chinese or other outsourced pieces "OK", even if their copies look a bit different? In the U.S. now, as is clear, to find anything nit made in China is an exception.
In the mean time I'm ordering a set of Mahle P/C for my 993 turbo since I'm planning to keep my car for a few more years while you wait for an answer on the Chinese made oil filters functionality because I suspect the next Mahle move will be the P/C operation to Asia. Like you said Mahle Austria was and still is a Porsche fixture and legacy. Stock up on Austrian Mahle filters and a set of P/C while you can, I already did. Dark days are coming,,,,,,,, :-)
Old 08-12-2023, 03:16 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Churchill
If anyone wants to read a serious policy analysis about why the EV crusade will fail:https://manhattan.institute/article/...possible-dream
As one with a marketing and economics background, I found this to be a most thorough and balanced review. A mineral/mine engineering background would have helped! A super read. Thanks for forwarding.
Churchill (08-13-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 06:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,754 Likes on 1,072 Posts

So my shop ordered an oil filter for my 964, they order from local dealer or SSF, in this case it came SSF, and OC54 filter was made in china, and comparing the Austria filter to it, there is no compare, the MIC filter very different.

I have some spares on the shelf, so I gave them one of the Austria filters to use.

SSF is the major distributor of aftermarket European parts in the US, pelican uses them ... Rocky Mountain, rm European, fcp euro, etc etc. So unless these shops have in stock on their shelfs, the major seller is now shipping MIC filters.

I'm going to order a Mann, Purolator, and factory and see what I get.

But Im done with Mahle OC54. OC59 for my 71 I'll have to see, but I have like 5 years of filters left.

Last edited by Spyerx; 08-15-2023 at 08:40 PM.
nabfa1 (05-10-2024)
Old 08-15-2023, 11:40 PM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
So my shop ordered an oil filter for my 964, they order from local dealer or SSF, in this case it came SSF, and OC54 filter was made in china, and comparing the Austria filter to it, there is no compare, the MIC filter very different.

I have some spares on the shelf, so I gave them one of the Austria filters to use.

SSF is the major distributor of aftermarket European parts in the US, pelican uses them ... Rocky Mountain, rm European, fcp euro, etc etc. So unless these shops have in stock on their shelfs, the major seller is now shipping MIC filters.

I'm going to order a Mann, Purolator, and factory and see what I get.

But Im done with Mahle OC54. OC59 for my 71 I'll have to see, but I have like 5 years of filters left.
If you order from an authorized Porsche dealer you will get an Austrian Mahle filter until stock last, it will be interesting when out of stock if Porsche will approve and sell Mahle filters MIC.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:32 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by fsa

Once again the only actual fact based question in here is completely ignored by the same biased thread 'contributors' who continue to spout nothing but personal opinions on why the far east is the devil, and have now added why EV's are doomed to fail. What a joke.

Has anyone actually had any issues with the Chinese filters? Anyone?

It's not just the cars that are dinosaurs.
The following 3 users liked this post by Meenrod:
Bobley (08-16-2023), fsa (08-16-2023), Jlaa (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 08:07 AM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Meenrod
Once again the only actual fact based question in here is completely ignored by the same biased thread 'contributors' who continue to spout nothing but personal opinions on why the far east is the devil, and have now added why EV's are doomed to fail. What a joke.

Has anyone actually had any issues with the Chinese filters? Anyone?

It's not just the cars that are dinosaurs.
I think folks are reluctant to try the MIC Mahle filters in their cars, probably why your question is not answered yet. Those MIC Mahle filters were just sneaked in on the market not too long ago but long enough for jobber suppliers to stock them and probably SSF and other major jobbers didn't noticed.

Personally I'm not too worried for the OC213 in our cars as a secondary filter, the OC229 is the critical one but I haven't seen OC229 MIC yet.

Maybe you should go ahead and install Mahle MIC filters in your car and tell us if you have issues.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:15 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 277 Posts

Meenrod, your rightous indignation has been duly noted by all on this thread, ad nauseum. Please, give it a rest!

Quick Reply: Future 993 Oil Filter Supply - A statement