Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Future 993 Oil Filter Supply - A statement (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1359919-future-993-oil-filter-supply-a-statement.html)

Bobley 08-08-2023 05:21 AM

Future 993 Oil Filter Supply - A statement

After I wrote chapter and verse the old thread got canned.

I just wanted to summarise and put a few minds at ease.

Mahle will continue making OE filters for most Porsche applications and supplying them with OE Porsche marking for as long as Porsche want them. Yes the factory is moving to Brazil but the old tooling will go to the new factory. You will find these new filters have slightly different Porsche part numbers but they will be revealed in time.

The 2 exceptions are the scavenge filters. These (OC54 for pre 993 and OC213 for 993) have been sent to our factory in the far east and are made by a different division which I have no access to but there are very large numbers of OE Porsche , Austrian made filters in the warehouse which will last for years. These filters aren't necessarily Porsche exclusive (the OC54 is shared with Lambo Urraco and BMW M1) but I'm sure there will be OE marked versions and they will all meet the original specs. The scavenge filters are much simpler beasts than the crankcase filter.

Goof (9th August) - It appears that OE spec OC213s will be produced in Brazil off original tools while Aftermarket OC213s are made in China off local tools.

orangecurry 08-08-2023 06:52 AM

Thanks for that - very helpful.

C4Spolar 08-08-2023 10:02 AM

Thanks for the info.

So if I understand this correctly when I purchase an OC213 from an authorized Porsche dealer I will get an "Austrian made" OE filter but if I buy a Mahle OC213 from a jobber parts supplier like Rock auto and others I will get a Chinese made Mahle OC213 like I just received?

Thanks again.

Bobley 08-08-2023 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by C4Spolar (Post 18949684)
Thanks for the info.

So if I understand this correctly when I purchase an OC213 from an authorized Porsche dealer I will get an "Austrian made" OE filter but if I buy a Mahle OC213 from a jobber parts supplier like Rock auto and others I will get a Chinese made Mahle OC213 like I just received?

Thanks again.

I think so.

KNS 08-09-2023 07:04 AM

Thank you for the comments.

I would have preferred to have picked up some 'Made in Austria' OC54 filters for my 1984 Carrera but reports from various Porsche forums find that they're all Chinese made no matter the vendor, dealer included. I just picked up two filters for my '84 Carrera at the Porsche dealer and they were manufactured by Purolator. These were not made in China which is important to me.

Bobley 08-09-2023 07:21 AM

Yeah, it doesn't look like Porsche were so concerned about OC54 as it's a cross market part. They're not very complex filters so they're happy to outsource on the open market.

Bobley 08-09-2023 07:25 AM

Original post amended as I goofed.

KNS 08-09-2023 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bobley (Post 18951495)
Yeah, it doesn't look like Porsche were so concerned about OC54 as it's a cross market part. They're not very complex filters so they're happy to outsource on the open market.

If you read the Porsche forums 911 owners, including me, have stopped purchasing the Mahle OC54 because of the country of manufacture and are now buying alternatives.

AOW162435 08-09-2023 10:37 AM

I know why companies do this. Everyone does.
I just don't understand why companies do this.

No different than suddenly coming across Bosch FR5DTC plugs made in Russia. When this started happening, I paid a pretty penny to buy ten sets of 'Made in Germany' FR5DTC plugs. Should last me until I'm 300 years old.

Andreas

Bobley 08-09-2023 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by AOW162435 (Post 18951701)
I know why companies do this. Everyone does.
I just don't understand why companies do this.
Andreas

The market for cheap and cheerful annual change spin on cartridge oil filters in Europe dried up. New cars have disposable long-life inserts - and in the not too distant future new cars wont have engines / oil / filters at all.

Also, Heidi and Hilda the 2 ladies who stand by the line picking up the filters occasionally and checking the labels are printing correctly ( I sh#t you not, they were there) are probably up for retirement.

No doubt the Austrian factory will be re purposed to produce shiny EV parts with blue LEDs on. Meanwhile the factory in Brazil isn't new, I just looked at it on Google.

Bobley 08-09-2023 12:23 PM

Anyway, please keep buying our oil filters so I can get paid for doing this:roflmao:

https://www.goodwood.com/globalasset...40)&width=1600

AOW162435 08-09-2023 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bobley (Post 18951886)
The market for cheap and cheerful annual change spin on cartridge oil filters in Europe dried up. New cars have disposable long-life inserts - and in the not too distant future new cars wont have engines / oil / filters at all.

Also, Heidi and Hilda the 2 ladies who stand by the line picking up the filters occasionally and checking the labels are printing correctly ( I sh#t you not, they were there) are probably up for retirement.

No doubt the Austrian factory will be re purposed to produce shiny EV parts with blue LEDs on. Meanwhile the factory in Brazil isn't new, I just looked at it on Google.

While no doubt true, I find it sad.

Andreas

Churchill 08-09-2023 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bobley (Post 18951886)
in the not too distant future new cars wont have engines / oil / filters at all.

Not gonna happen, for a bunch of reasons. Not a chance. No matter how badly some people want to kill off ICE cars. Thank god.

C4Spolar 08-09-2023 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Churchill (Post 18953095)
Not gonna happen, for a bunch of reasons. Not a chance. No matter how badly some people want to kill off ICE cars. Thank god.

I hope your right but I see more and more EV's out there.

Bobley 08-10-2023 04:20 AM

We're gearing up for trucks and off road engines to be ICE (Ammonia or H2). I've not heard of anyone doing anything on synthetic petrol (because it should be a transparent change to the engine).

While Boxster/Cayman/Macan/Panamera are all lined up to become EVs the 911 will soldier on with an engine (in hybrid form?) for as long as it can.

Meanwhile Mahle Powertrain (nee Cosworth Engineering) will carry on as it does building niche ICE for whoever wants them and companies like Singer will carry on rebuilding old wrecks as "new" cars with as much tech in as they can afford to do so you'll carry on seeing radical new ICE "Porsches" for many years.

If its any comfort, I've got a turntable here in my home office so I can spin the old vinyl while crafting these new engines for you.