Sponsored by:

emissions inspection in Illinois or elsewhere

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 03:14 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Post emissions inspection in Illinois or elsewhere

Hey IL rennlisters,... (or anyone in a state that has uses a dyno type rollers to load the engine during the test.)

I've heard some horror stories about cars being damaged while undergoing the state required emissions testing. The trib even did a big expose about it a couple years ago

Anyone have any recent experiences they can share about having their P-cars inspected?

I'm on my 3rd notice for my '97 cab, and have to have it tested immediately or lose my registration.

Any and all comments/insights/reassurances would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike in Chi
Old 06-29-2001, 03:43 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mike:

I'm in the SE WI area and we have had dyno emmission testing here for quite awhile.

In my area (which might be similar to Chicago) all cars get put on the dyno, and then the operator has to follow a simulated road test. The majority of the test is at speeds around 20-40 mph. Max speed is 50mph later in the test if the vehicle needs to go that long on the dyno.

I've had 911's for five years and only once did I have to have the car put on the dyno (last month). I do not leave the car even when they insist on making me wait in the waiting room. Most of the time I warn them about missed shifts and expensive repairs and they back off and just idle test it. It depends on the staff working at the time and how well I can B.S that day. The one dyno test I did have to do (manager wouldn't buy my story, nor did I want to overly complain), I stayed in the passenger seat and watched the operator closely (that made them be very cautious). The car was on the dyno only about 1 minute and did not exceed 3000 rpms or go over 3rd gear. I didn't care for the guy lugging my 911 at 800 rpms either though.

Stay with the car, be polite but firm and don't be afraid to holler if they aren't operating the car correctly. Since I live in hicksville, I usually get some 18 year old kid salivating over the car and asking me how fast it goes. Ask for the manager to test/operate your car then.

All in all, I've never had a problem with the new dyno testing which simulates a road situation. The pre dyno testing days is another story and another post...

I do get a laugh out of the kid workers that look in the front for the motor or walk all over around the back of the car looking for the gas cap...

Hope this helps,
Jay
Old 06-29-2001, 04:16 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Jay, your post is helpful. I will stay with the car. I've heard another way around it is to register it as a show only car, but I hate to have to lie to get around this thing.

thanks for the help

BTW, what town in Wis?
Old 06-29-2001, 04:35 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Mike:

I'm glad I could help a little. If you stay with the car and your car is in good tune, you should be fine. It's probably more of a hassle to get around the testing.

I'm located in the Milwaukee area. We're very fortunate to have the Parade this comming week!

Jay
Old 06-29-2001, 04:47 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know when I had my AWD Eclipse it could not be dyno tested for obvious reasons. Is there any reason to think that these kids would know the difference between a C2 and C4. Might be worth a try to say it is AWD and then see if they can figure it out. Maybe a C4 owner could chime in here. At the least, I agree with staying with the car at all times even if it means standing at the bay door and watching every move.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2001, 05:23 PM
Jay H
Drifting

I've had 3 AWD Eclipse's over the years. Most of the emmissions stations around here have AWD test lanes. The problem with these young workers is they sometimes know darn well which cars are AWD or can come with the option of AWD.

What a pain that is to watch them strap down your car on the AWD dyno. I had to double check their tie down points before I let them run the cars. I'm sure they hated me for 'overlooking their work', but at least I had the older gentlemen and managers do that stuff. The younger workers were left to do other cars.

Make sure you watch when they try to put the exhaust hoses on the car. I insist that they lay them down on the floor near the rear of the car instead of them trying to place it around my exhaust tip and rear valance and scratching something. Watch the OBDII cords too. Some of the ends have exposed metal contact points and those guys tend to just let the stuff hang over the door without care.

In the end, all of the workers I have run across at the emmission testing stations have been very respectful of my 911's and understand why I'm watching everything they do.

Of course when it's time to test my Chevy S-10, I jump right out and go relax in the air conditioned waiting room...

Jay

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Jay H ]
Old 06-29-2001, 06:12 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Hey Jay, I had no idea they had AWD rollers. Thanx for updating me since it has been about 4 years since I have had to do that test.
Old 06-29-2001, 06:30 PM
Jay H
Drifting

EJ:

After 15 yrs of testing in my area, they are getting pretty good at making sure a person can't get around the testing.

I guess the AWD lane is needed quite a bit due to all the popular AWD minivans, Subarus, Quattros and trucks running around.

Regards,
Jay
Old 06-29-2001, 06:34 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone. I'll be able to sleep tonight, and take it in tomorrow.

Mike
Old 06-30-2001, 01:34 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow!!...I thought california emissions were tough!...All they do out here..is put a tube in the exhaust....do a visual inspection..hit the enter button, and off it goes to dmv!
Old 07-04-2001, 01:38 PM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I had my 993 tested in IL they scratched up the muffler tips. No problem on the dyno.
Old 07-04-2001, 03:16 PM
Larry T.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike,

I live in Illinois (Glenview, Just North of Chicago) and I recently had my car tested. I went to the Lincolnshire location, and everything went fine. Interestingly enough, the guy who was working the lane asked me if the car was AWD after he punched in my license in the computer. I have a C4 and it never even dawned on me to be concerned about that. They are not able to dyno a AWD car (at least at that location) so all they do is a test at idle with the probe in the exhaust. He let me drive the car in and out of the bay, so it was really no problem.

My recommendation would be to go to the lincolnshire location (or another nice suburban one) where I think they may more experience (and respect) for cars like ours.

Good luck,

Larry

Quick Reply: emissions inspection in Illinois or elsewhere