Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech Art aluminum gauge face group buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 11:21 AM
condo bob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robin; went to dealer, watched them put white nr gauges in a 993. had to have them! they look great in a red 993! white gauges even sound better with your rsr mufflers!
Old 01-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Atlanta_Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey-
I'm a long time lurker, new poster. I recently installed the NR silver gauges in my car. ($249) They work great and IMO look much better/ cleaner without the cut-outs. Here are some pics of them installed. myporsche.peachhost.com The install was semi difficult but very straight forward. If you would like to discuss the install, e-mail me.
-Kevin
Old 01-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry about the HUGE avatar. I fixed it.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Atlanta_Kevin,

Can you please send me the details on your NR install?
Old 01-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like I will be investigating into the cheaper face plate option, anyone with the vendor contacts?
Old 01-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Atlanta_Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robin,
The contact info is: <a href="http://www.nrauto.com/." target="_blank">http://www.nrauto.com/.</a>

They ship same day with standard 2nd day. I ordered mine on a Saturday and got them by Wednesday. If you would like to see them installed I live in Roswell. Maybe we could meet up over the weekend.
-Kevin
Old 01-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Atlanta_Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

My experience with Aluminum gauge install
This was my first project on the Porsche so I took my time. The whole project took maybe 4 hours. They have been in for about 3 weeks and everything looks and works fine. After doing it once, I could do it again in 1-2 hours but if you are not that handy, or you lack good tools, it may make sense to pay a shop to do this for you.

The install was interesting for a number of reasons. First, the directions are minimal and make it sound very easy. It’s not real hard, but harder than the directions state. Here is how it went:

The gauges come in a little box with an install tool that looks like a tent stake. They don’t look cheap but then again they don’t look like they are worth $250 but what ever.

I removed the clock first and then moved one by one to the left. All the gauges simply slip out from the dash without any screws except for the tachometer! What a bitch that was, the problem is that the tach hits the steering column and the dash on the way out. You can do it, but it took me about a ½ hour to maneuver it in a way that I could get it out. I unplugged it from the back, slipped the rubber gasket off, turned it about 180 degrees and kind of forced it out while applying pressure to the top of the dash. I also unscrewed the steering column screws and slightly moved the plastic covers to make the room. Same problem on the reinstall but you can do it.
The next issue is opening the gauges themselves, to do this you need to pry the bezels away from the back plastic gauge using a screwdriver. This is scary because it looks like you are wrecking them but they go back into place ok. Once you open the gauge you need to use the tool provided to remove the needles. This is easy except for the speedo, it is really on there and I was nervous that I would destroy and forever having to explain why my actual mileage doesn’t match the new speedo… It does eventually pry loose. After the needle is off, the face removes with a couple small screws A special note about the speedo face removal, you need to slightly cut the face to allow it to fit around the odometer reset button. I imagine that a speedo shop wouldn’t take this shortcut but I did because I didn’t want to disassemble the speedo to remove the button, too risky and once installed you can’t even see this slight cut.

After you replace the faces you must reinstall the needles in the exactly the same position they were removed or your readings will be off. This isn’t that hard to do. If you need to, you could just plug them back into the dash and check them before you close them up. The gas gauge is particularly important to get right!
After the needles are back on, you need to close the gauges, making sure you clean the inside of the glass first. At this point the bezels are all stretched out and you need to re-close them. You can do this by rolling them on a hard surface like my kitchen counter with a towel on it, and then using the tip of the screwdriver to push the previously pried up edge, back down. This takes some time to do right.
Finally, reinstall them in the car, again, easy except for the tach.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:25 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Hi Robin and fellow 993 guys,

Count me in on the AL gauge faces, sounds like an excellent idea for a Rennlist group buy. I have been considering this upgrade for some time and the winter is a perfect time to "take the car down" for a job that you don't want to rush through. I'm sure the collective experience and wisdom of the board will provide us with the best product at the lowest price...David
Old 01-30-2003, 12:32 AM
96P993
Pro

Did the Group Buy for the NR Gauges ever happen...and is there anyone out there who has a picture of the NRAuto gauges at night...maybe even with some of the warning lights on???
Old 01-30-2003, 01:25 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Robin, good to see you on the board!!

You won't believe this, but I drove a 1981 911SC from Miami through Hotlanta to Nashville last weekend and thought of you. I would have loved for you to have joined us at $3 Dollar Cafe for wings and beer in Buckhead on Sat, night.

I hope to see you soon. BTW, the car purred like a damn kitten and drove very well. These cars will last forever if you maintain them.

See you soon.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What? You were in Miami and you didn't drop in on me?

Quick Reply: Tech Art aluminum gauge face group buy