Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody still flash a greeting to other passing Porsches?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Flash Friday: In S. California, Seattle, Portland as well as other parts of the US, there is an afternoon drive radio show, the Tom Lykis Show. He has established a tradition where if one drives with their lights on, on Friday afternoon, a sampling of the female listners of the somewhat bawdy persuasion, will flash these lucky gents New Orleans style....Being a gentleman of taste with an acute sense of propriety, I keep my light off on Friday afternoon, but I suppose I could follow cars with their lights on, just in case a Flash occurs. Of course I would avert my eyes, how disgusting.

Flash Porsche Cars: I still flick lights at oncoming Porsche cars. I had decided NOT to flash boxsters, only 911 cars, but from the front I can't tell the difference between a Boxster and a 996. I am certain this will change with the advent of the 997 cars.

It is clear on have been on hold with nothing to do...the above a feeble attempt at humor on my part. But there really is a Flash Friday!
Old 05-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always flashed or waved because 1) it is fun when they flash or wave back and 2) I feel like a jerk if someone flashes me first. I wanted to be the one who initiated it, and if someone didn't reciprocate, then who cares?
Old 05-24-2004, 05:57 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Allen
I generally wave to Porsches and other sports cars when encountered on my typical twisties route. But the problem with the flash is that many people, including myself, view that as a signal of a cop ahead. If it's a Porsche giving the flash, it's very likely just a friendly "wave"....but what if it's not. I can't afford to take that chance and therfore must slow down for the next mile or so, and deal with the paranoia for the remainder of my drive... which kinda takes the fun out of it. [/QUOT

I agree with Allen that why I wave.

Old 05-25-2004, 01:13 AM
Derrick B.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wave, but only to aircooled.

And 928's.

Oh and nice 944's.

And those 968's too.

Or if the wasserpumper waves/flashes first. Even if he's driving a Cayenne.

Not that would ever happen.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:40 AM
PDX Tim
Instructor

I always flash. Sometimes wave after the flash, but I think the flash followed by another flash is very cool. Most days I don't see another Porsche on the road. So I'm happy to flash any model. Get a lot more hits on 993s and older 911s. Never tried to flash a Cayenne, but I'll try it nex time I see one. Why not? It's still a Porsche.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:20 AM
Tech-Law
Pro

I'm a light flasher - it seems like only the people driving the older cars (993 or older) even know what i'm trying to do. Boxster and 996 owners don't have a clue. Seems somehow appropriate...
Old 05-25-2004, 07:50 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't flash too often but I always wave - Most of the time I get a wave or flash back
Old 05-26-2004, 01:51 AM
catser
Intermediate

Waved to a Ferrari 360 owner last Sunday in a Starbucks parking lot .Got a big smile and a wave from the owner who seemed like a nice guy.Don t always get the same response from Porsche owners,sadly.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:50 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Wanna hear the perspective of a 944 driver? lately, i don;t even get responces from other 944s! Never really got anything from a 911 or boxster. cayennes? they dont even notice im there, until honk, cause the soocer mom on her cell phone just tried to chenge lanes, while i was there. I think I get looks from 993's, otherwise, nobody gives me any recognition. Only if i oull up in a lot and say something, they may return a complement. I do however get " is that a 944 turbo?" yes it is "That was one of the best porsches ever built!" at car meets sometimes, which startles me to no end. i geuss when i pull up to a 911, their slower, spin happy car is so much better then mine! (JK! JK!) As you all know, I absolutly love the 993, and try and wave at all of them...
Out of curiousity, how many of you wave to 944 and 944 turbos?
how many wave if waved to? how many dont wave even if waved to? don't lie, its about 99% of them on the road, some of them have to be you guys!
~Eyal
Old 05-26-2004, 07:09 AM
willisit
Racer

I'll happily wave at anything Porsche related but only 993s return it... a shame.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Craig W.
Instructor

This past weekend I was on the freeway when I spotted a speed yellow 996, the older narrow body style, gaining on me form behind in the next lane over. He pulled up next to me, slowed down, and waved, then raced off, giving me a nice view of his GT3 tail.

I thought to myself "that has to be a Rennlist guy, wonder if he'll post on the list".

Nice to see the water cooled guys keeping the tradition alive.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:21 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Having owned 911 Porsches for the last 19 years, I have always flashed if it is safe to do so. Unfortunately here in the land of thousands of "Microsoft Miatas" aka Boxters, I rarely get a flash or a wave back from 986 owners. 911 owners are a much different story, excluding the 996.

I flashed a 993 TT S a couple of years ago in Redmond, excited to see such an incredible car, and I got an rude long high-beam in return. I guess he thought I was angry about something... and he was probably a first-time Porsche owner. Go figure!

Keep the tradition alive!
Old 05-26-2004, 07:17 PM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Been flashing here in Colorado for many years. Like most have said, boxster and 996 owners are CLUE-less. I've flashed Cayanne's and when I test drove a pepper, flashed a p-car with no response. Fewer and fewer even recognize the flash. Maybe, just maybe some of these people who I run into on my route to work on a regular basis will figure it out. Until then, I will continue the flash.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:29 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I admit that if I get flashed/waved at my response is probably too late for the other driver to see.

Other 993s always get an acknowledgement from me.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I always used to flash when I had my 3.2 but nowadays most cars don't return so I have all but given up. Having said that, where I live I now know most of the other 993s so always flash them.

It's a great habit from a more peaceful age.

Cheers,

David

Quick Reply: Does anybody still flash a greeting to other passing Porsches?