DIY Auto Dry

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 03:33 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb DIY Auto Dry

Im sure you've all seen the Auto-Dry thing that has been advertised on TV lately (by Turtle Wax?). Well, in my never ending quest to build things that I could buy for less money than the piecs parts cost me, I decided to build my own. I didn't want to be locked into their proprietary filter or give up my really cool fireman's nozzle. Knowing that the auto-dry is merely a filter to get the crap out of the water, I got a whole house filter and some pvc valves & fittings to make a bypass for watering the flowers or whatever w/o wasting filtered water. I got the stuff at my local Home Depot for about $50.00. Not sure how much the real one costs, but probably more like $30.00 or so. Anyway, after exhaustive reaserch (I washed 2 cars) - it works! I was going to mount it on the wall and build a cover out of checker plate, but I decided to stick the filter in the ground (in a pice of pipe) and cover it with an old washbucket (I may upgrade to one of those fake rocks). Here's a pic in case anyone cares.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Bob, in addition to my 993 I also have an older, non-galvanized car, and I am always looking for ways to encourage wash water to run better out of cracks and crevices, to reduce rust possibilities in that vehicle. Would this product/technique help address that concern? I guess I am not entirely clear on the technology of the auto-dry products, and right now I depend on a quick blast down the highway to help blow out hidden water after washing the car.

Last edited by Bob D.; 05-19-2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Auto-dry" works by purifying the water by removing the minerals. Waterspots are caused by the mineral deposits. Hence, no minerals, no waterspots.

Great job on the DIY, Bob. Unfortunately, whenever I try to put something like that together, I always end up spending more money and time with something half as good vs. if I had just went out and bought the darn thing!
Old 05-19-2004, 04:51 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob D. - the filter only removes minerals and impurities from the water, so when it evaporates it will not leave anything behind on the paint. I do not know if the "clean" water would be less likely to cause rust or not. My guess would be that it would be of little if any benifit in that area, but maybe some of you chemical engineers could chime in.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:19 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 493 Posts

Never heard of Auto Dry. I have a black car so this is something I should look into. Based on your design I think I'll fashion one for myself. Thanks Bob.

Jamie
Old 05-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Benton
Drifting

Ah ha! I think half the reason I am so freakin lazy about washing my car is because of drying it! The water dries before I can even get to it, and there isn't ANY shade in my driveway. Good idea; I'll probably put one of these babies together soon.

Are there ANY water spots AT ALL?

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2004, 08:04 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jamie- I have the "auto dry". It's made by Mr. clean (yes the bald guy) and it works pretty well on my black car. It's only when the filter starts to get dirty do spots start showing up. If I remember I paid like $25.00 or so for it from my local auto parts store. The refill filters are $4.99 and last about 7 washes (the label says ten but I'm getting 7 or so before spots show up). Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:19 PM
dbibeau
Advanced

As my car is black I also have trouble with spotting. As soon as I am done washing I take out the trusty old leave blower and blow all the water from the car to dry it! Works like a charm especially when you have a nice coat of wax on the 993. No more towels and it is done in minutes!!!
Old 05-19-2004, 08:22 PM
KB993
Intermediate

I am not certain of the "auto dry" technology but I have been using an electric leaf blower for years to dry the car. This method keeps off the water spots, gets the water out of all crevices and reduces the chance of scratching the finish. Gas blowers do not work because they will leave a film.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:06 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 493 Posts

I love this place.

I will try both the electric (not the gas) leaf blower and the auto dry for $25. I like washing my car (ok not really like but more of a don't mind really) but I very much dislike drying it. My brother, who keeps his Mustang GT and his 951 imaculate, is always on my case about the detailing aspect of car ownership, this may help to get him off my back. Thanks guys.

Jamie
Old 05-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

in response to some questions/comments - if you drive your car after washing (which I typically do), you will end up with some spots just because you're picking up dirt and stuff from the road. If you wash it and let it dry in the garage, you will get virtually no spots. I figure I'll towel dry to get most water off, then drive it to make sure all the water's out of the little cracks and crevices. As you guys with black cars know, even when you towel dry, you still end up with some water spots. Also, replacement filters for this thing are about $3.50 each and last for 2000 gallons!
Old 05-20-2004, 01:14 AM
jz993
Racer

I think they filmed that Auto-dry commercial out here in AZ on a 110 degree day with 4% humidity. My friend bought one and it didn't impress.
I dry my cars/bikes with compressed air. Really does the job for mirrors, body seams, etc.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:02 AM
SJB993
Pro

You guys ought to move to the UK.

As soon as you wash the car it rains, so drying isn't a problem!

;0)

But seriously, good ideas - I think I'll try the filter/leaf-blower combination. I've Zymoled the car, and I'm well impressed with that stuff, the water just rolls off.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:02 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a black C4 and thought I'd try Auto-Dry. We've got fairly hard water here in SE PA. I've only used it a few times and can say it helps but there are still spots. I try to keep the car wet when washing so spots don't form and then dry it with a microfiber towel. That seems to work the best for me. I like the filter system CNR put together in the original post. Thanks for posting the idea!
Old 05-20-2004, 01:14 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, the low budget solution is to dry the car with water.

By that I mean if you take the nozzle off the hose so it is just free flowing water, you can start at the top of the car, and "push" the sheet of water off the car, sort of following it down with the stream. If your car has good wax (or in my case 21 coats of Zaino), the sheeting action leaves a couple of water drops behind that I absorb with a microfiber "big blue" towel. I then go for a quick drive around the block with aggressive braking, and redry the couple of spots with the microfiber.

Works really well. Towel drying without getting rid of the water first is a great way to fill the car with microscratches that get really annoying in the right light.

Just my $0.02.

Quick Reply: DIY Auto Dry