993 Forum 1995-1998

Blaupunkt Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 12:34 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by alsamrob4
@centerpunch I have a cab, so no defrost. What would you recommend I tap into to do this mod?
Good question. I did this seven years ago- let me review the car wiring diagrams and refresh my memory, I'll follow up.

Old 10-16-2023, 01:24 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by alsamrob4
@centerpunch I have a cab, so no defrost. What would you recommend I tap into to do this mod?
Looks like cabrios have a mirror heat switch instead of the rear window defrost switch, in the same location next to the fog light switch above the radio, right?

According to my reading of the Bentley manual, your cabrio mirror heat switch should have a solid purple wire, which is connected exactly like the solid purple wire on the coupe rear window defroster switch.

So you should be able to use the same wiring instructions for your car.
Old 10-16-2023, 01:30 PM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 88 Posts

@centerpunch Thanks!
Old 10-17-2023, 02:59 PM
shimmey
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ch3tman
Good timing, I just installed mine over Easter weekend! So, early days for me. Here it is installed:

View this post on Instagram

The Frankfurt RCM 82 DAB is a slight update to the Bremen SQR 46 DAB, for which there is a long running thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...qr-46-dab.html

Key differences per my understanding:
  • The Frankfurt introduces later Bluetooth version support (I am not sure which version, but it's 5.x) over the Bremen
  • The Frankfurt is able to to play FLAC natively, the Bremen cannot
  • The Bremen supports the older 30-pin Apple devices, the Frankfurt does not
  • They are pretty much the same apart from aesthetics!
Initial impressions:
  • Feature rich, and does everything you'd expect from a modern single-DIN unit
  • Bluetooth works great, my typical use-case is Google Maps + TuneIn playing on the iPhone, and these play, via BT, through the headunit and car speakers just fine
  • DAB doesn't interest me so much so didn't bother with the DAB aerial for now.
  • Whilst the unit is supplied with a dedicated mic, there is also a mic on the front of the headunit itself (see above/left of the volume ****) and is supposed to be good enough for conversations. I am yet to test this and will decide on plugging in the mic after seeing how it goes.
  • The biggest let down (so far) is build quality. FYI I have had a Becker Grand Prix for the last 9 years. The Frankfurt is definitely a 'Made in China' product, whereas the Becker felt like a 'Made in Germany' product. The Frankfurt's buttons feel really cheap, hollow, 'plastiky' and clicky. The press of a button on the Becker vs Blaupunkt is what I think closing a door on a Porsche 993 and a VW Up would compare like - - the Becker just oozes quality from a 'tactility' perspective.

As I say, early days, so eager to see how others get on with theirs. Do post back with your thoughts once installed .
My experience with VW doors is that they are very solid. At least the older bugs. My dad bought a new 1963 bug and you had to crack the window to shut the door properly it was put togther so well and air tight.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (10-20-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 08:58 AM
GT917
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you Guys happy with the illumination level ? From my side, it's quite impossible to see what is on the screen. Maybe did I miss something ?
Old 10-21-2023, 07:45 AM
Heuerman
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

No, the illumination is very poor regardless of which colour you use. Great at night or in the garage but hopeless in daylight. I have wondered if the dash light dimming feature is permanently switched to low. Need to check if it responds to the instrument dimmer. If not maybe worth disconnecting at the plug.
Old 10-21-2023, 01:48 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

I havent had any issues with illumination. Even during bright, sunny days I can see just fine!
Old 10-22-2023, 07:25 AM
Heuerman
Instructor

Does the illumination vary when you alter the dash light intensity?
Old 10-26-2023, 03:57 AM
GT917
Advanced

Originally Posted by Heuerman
Does the illumination vary when you alter the dash light intensity?

Just tried, and it doesn't vary. Normal ?
Old 10-26-2023, 01:14 PM
Heuerman
Instructor

It should if you have connected the dimmer wire.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:21 AM
GT917
Advanced

Originally Posted by Heuerman
It should if you have connected the dimmer wire.
Which pins should I check please ?
Old 10-27-2023, 08:50 AM
Heuerman
Instructor

Old 11-04-2023, 07:18 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I just installed this radio. Like some others have mentioned the screen just isn't visible in moderate to bright sunlight. It really is a design flaw of this radio.

I used the Mini ISO-RCA harness for Blaupunkt SQR 46 harness from Tore to make quick work of the installation in a hifi-equipped car. Hifi cars don't have the "B" plug, so you need something like Tore's harness to connect the RCA outs into the factory C1 connector along with the amplifier activation signal.

Also, the dimmer signal is just a switch activated with 12v. In the radio's settings, configure the dimmer for "auto" and it will switch between its day and night brightness settings automatically when 12v is applied to that wire. As Tore mentions in his instructions, the ash tray light is a convenient place to get that 12v signal.

Unlike the factory radio, the car's dimmer rheostat won't adjust the intensity of the radio backlight. The auto dimming is binary, either daytime mode or nighttime mode. If you turn down the brightness using the car's dimmer dial, you can actually get the voltage to the ashtray light too low to signal the radio's backlight switch. Just FYI if you want the auto-dimming and like to keep your dash lights' intensity turned way down.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:31 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by ch3tman
I wished I bought this instead of the PCCM :-/
How cool that you can display 993! can you display any name you want?
Old 11-09-2023, 02:38 AM
GT917
Advanced

Originally Posted by mpruden
I just installed this radio. Like some others have mentioned the screen just isn't visible in moderate to bright sunlight. It really is a design flaw of this radio.

I used the Mini ISO-RCA harness for Blaupunkt SQR 46 harness from Tore to make quick work of the installation in a hifi-equipped car. Hifi cars don't have the "B" plug, so you need something like Tore's harness to connect the RCA outs into the factory C1 connector along with the amplifier activation signal.

Also, the dimmer signal is just a switch activated with 12v. In the radio's settings, configure the dimmer for "auto" and it will switch between its day and night brightness settings automatically when 12v is applied to that wire. As Tore mentions in his instructions, the ash tray light is a convenient place to get that 12v signal.

Unlike the factory radio, the car's dimmer rheostat won't adjust the intensity of the radio backlight. The auto dimming is binary, either daytime mode or nighttime mode. If you turn down the brightness using the car's dimmer dial, you can actually get the voltage to the ashtray light too low to signal the radio's backlight switch. Just FYI if you want the auto-dimming and like to keep your dash lights' intensity turned way down.
Does it mean there is no way to increase the illumination ?

Quick Reply: Blaupunkt Frankfurt