Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Survey : A fix for the dreaded door check strap..

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:23 PM
Andy Hodapp
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

This might be the stupidest idea ever but what about fixing the problem by just doing what jeep does?

Old 11-29-2016, 08:40 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Hodapp
This might be the stupidest idea ever but what about fixing the problem by just doing what jeep does?

Do you realize how heavy our doors are? Jeep doors weigh nothing. Our doors are held on by two pins without stops so all the force is on the check strap. Secondly, why? Just get it done correctly and call it a day.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:39 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 514 Posts

I paid 1500 to fix mine a few months back by Porsche trained indie body shop the correct way. Porsche auto body at dealer wanted $ 2500......the way it was fixed now, it will never break again with normal use......real happy not hearing the dreaded clicking sound of metal on metal....
Old 11-30-2016, 08:35 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
I paid 1500 to fix mine a few months back by Porsche trained indie body shop the correct way. Porsche auto body at dealer wanted $ 2500......the way it was fixed now, it will never break again with normal use......real happy not hearing the dreaded clicking sound of metal on metal....
Care to show of how it was repaired? There is a right and wrong way. Most shops will just tack weld from the front to fix it...it will break again...it's only a matter of time.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:48 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Care to show of how it was repaired? There is a right and wrong way. Most shops will just tack weld from the front to fix it...it will break again...it's only a matter of time.
Don't agree if its welded properly (not "tacked") - the weld as shown below has been in action for 10+ years now on the higher use driver's door, and has not failed/cracked or shown any signs of failure. Its also on the passenger door.

Cheers,

Mike

Old 11-30-2016, 02:12 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Mike J;13779925]Don't agree if its welded properly (not "tacked") - the weld as shown below has been in action for 10+ years now on the higher use driver's door, and has not failed/cracked or shown any signs of failure. Its also on the passenger door.

Cheers,

Mike

Agreed Mike "Welded" not Tacked. Mine when originally repaired the first time was clearly "Tacked" and Failed.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:18 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
sounds right, I was quoted 1300-1400 to do the job properly.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:09 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Don't agree if its welded properly (not "tacked") - the weld as shown below has been in action for 10+ years now on the higher use driver's door, and has not failed/cracked or shown any signs of failure. Its also on the passenger door.

Cheers,

Mike

+1 to what Mike said. There is a world of difference between a tack weld and fully welding out door stay. The weld will be in shear, and should never fail as long as you weld out the top and bottom of the stay. The original OEM welds were resistance tack welds, which are not very strong.

I paid $100 to have my stay welded as I mentioned above. I had to dress down the weld (with a Dremel) and then touched up the paint. That was 3 years ago, and the repair is still perfect (except for my paint work!).
Old 11-30-2016, 06:15 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Trust me: spend a couple of bucks and replace the pin before you spend any time or money doing anything else (unless of course you actually see movement of metal right at the door pillar).

I wasted time and money replacing the door straps and shaving detents and the click was still there. However, simply replacing the pin solved the click / snap sound in both my SC and 993.

If this doesn't work for you, you have wasted very little time or money. If it does work, you could save quite a bit more of both.
With blind faith, I ordered a new pin yesterday. $6. If it works, I'll be eternally gratefull!
Old 11-30-2016, 06:35 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
+1 to what Mike said. There is a world of difference between a tack weld and fully welding out door stay. The weld will be in shear, and should never fail as long as you weld out the top and bottom of the stay. The original OEM welds were resistance tack welds, which are not very strong.

I paid $100 to have my stay welded as I mentioned above. I had to dress down the weld (with a Dremel) and then touched up the paint. That was 3 years ago, and the repair is still perfect (except for my paint work!).
I would bet that the detent mod was done to this car.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:57 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

My ex- Porsche body shop repair....welded from the side/back internally via access cut out that was closed and sealed over. He welded heavy duty steel bracket to hold the hinge from the inside. Externally welded around the top and bottom of check strap hinge......
$ 1500...he guarantee it for the life of the car........hope that other original passenger side doesn't go)
Attached Images   
Old 11-30-2016, 10:45 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

The hinge was swaying back and forth with cracking sound and not stationary but it was still attached. The repair took a couple of days to complete, so there was extensive body and paint finish work done to the pillar area where they cut out an access area, inserted a reinforcement bracket/weld to reinforce the hinge. It looks great and can't really tell it was done......Porsche dealer body shops can give you a blow by blow on how it is recommended to be done....I went there first and they quoted 2500 for a job that would be "certified" that conformed to Porsche standards. My indie owner ran the dealers shop for a decade and opened his own shop and the result was great quality work at a reduced price.....sone of the welding I have seen on this and other thread on this subject are really bad quality.....get what you pay for, especially with auto body work....I did not want to cut any corners and fixed it right the first time......
Old 12-15-2016, 10:28 AM
bertsboat
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

May I ask where on Georgia your body man is? Thanks in advance. I am in St Augustine FL
Old 12-15-2016, 04:19 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Ultimate Collision or Body Shop in Atlanta near Porsche dealer. I look for details and repost.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:23 AM
GT917
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Replace the pin. It clicks when it wears. It's like a $3 part.
could you please elaborate about this pin ? Or maybe any part number ?
Cheers

Quick Reply: Survey : A fix for the dreaded door check strap..