Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Survey : A fix for the dreaded door check strap..

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:14 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's now a couple of days after shaving the rubber stops and the clicking has decreased to the extent that it's almost totally gone.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:05 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
It's now a couple of days after shaving the rubber stops and the clicking has decreased to the extent that it's almost totally gone.
Three sources of the popping,
The bolts holding the strap to the door are loose;
The pin attaching the strap to the door jamb has some play in its hole;
The attachment point inside the door jamb has come loose. The popping is the result of the strap snapping back and forth as it passes through its mid point stay position.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:36 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Three sources of the popping,
The bolts holding the strap to the door are loose;
The pin attaching the strap to the door jamb has some play in its hole;
The attachment point inside the door jamb has come loose. The popping is the result of the strap snapping back and forth as it passes through its mid point stay position.
Or excessive friction between the roller inside the detent housing and the detent strap. Clicking stopped for me exactly the way Leander described above.
Nothing was loose or worn on my car other than the detent assembly itself. the rubbery plastic parts inside are not up to the task of controlling the location of the steel roller. It is so cheaply built and small for such a heavy door. What we really need is a retro fit detent from another car. It would be great to have an effective door detent that doesn't tear the car apart!
Old 11-27-2016, 01:54 AM
gary1101
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't feel too bad. At least it doesn't look like mine!!!! I bought it this way. Factored big in the price of the car. Getting it fixed this winter.
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2016, 03:22 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
I did one of these repairs several years ago.....sort of. I had the strap plate fillet welded top and bottom to the door pillar without the need to remove the fender. When I reinstalled the latch, the flex was not evident at the pillar; however, I still got the snapping sound when opening the door, even though I had replaced the old strap with a new one. I don't believe that the snapping sound is the result of the latch pin flexing in the door pillar. I think that the noise is due to the stiffness of the rubber bumpers that are encapsulated in the strap assembly. I've been lazy; but, I will eventually pull out the latch assembly and do the "modification" that has been common and has you shave down the height of the rubber stops in the assembly. I'll do that and then reassemble with adequate gease to ease operation of the stop assembly. Hope that solves my "snapping" sound.
Trust me: spend a couple of bucks and replace the pin before you spend any time or money doing anything else (unless of course you actually see movement of metal right at the door pillar).

I wasted time and money replacing the door straps and shaving detents and the click was still there. However, simply replacing the pin solved the click / snap sound in both my SC and 993.

If this doesn't work for you, you have wasted very little time or money. If it does work, you could save quite a bit more of both.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:46 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 522 Posts

I had my driver's side "properly fixed." It took about 3 weeks total. Coming up with a plan and best way. Ordered "A Pillar" from Porsche cut out center and re-welded onto cut out A Pillar on the car. Reinforced the weld 10x stronger than stock tack welds. Looks like new and solid as Fort Knox!
Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2016, 12:25 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Originally Posted by Gbos1
I had my driver's side "properly fixed." It took about 3 weeks total. Coming up with a plan and best way. Ordered "A Pillar" from Porsche cut out center and re-welded onto cut out A Pillar on the car. Reinforced the weld 10x stronger than stock tack welds. Looks like new and solid as Fort Knox!
Very nice!
Old 11-28-2016, 01:53 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Welding with enclosed cavities that can get wet always worry me - did the body shop also spray the inside of the pillar (ie. the backside of the welding) to prevent long term rusting?

This product seems to work really well (I have used it on other cars), and you can spray it inside cavities using only a small hole for access:

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Jay J
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what Singer does..Their detents on the doors of their 964's were solid
Old 11-28-2016, 06:55 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Gbos,

Looks like you had both the door and the fender removed.

Care to share what that fix cost? I'll then convert it from PA to SF Bay Area prices, and ready myself for the shock.

Thanks,
Old 11-28-2016, 07:43 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Welding with enclosed cavities that can get wet always worry me - did the body shop also spray the inside of the pillar (ie. the backside of the welding) to prevent long term rusting?

This product seems to work really well (I have used it on other cars), and you can spray it inside cavities using only a small hole for access:

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html

Cheers,

Mike
Yes Mike he used an industrial coating on the inside as a rust inhibitor and protector. My guy has been in the Body business for 44 years and has worked on every scenario including Porsche Check Straps. His welder is top notch! I am OCD in every sense when it comes to my 993 ...
Old 11-28-2016, 07:46 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt3'er
Gbos,

Looks like you had both the door and the fender removed.

Care to share what that fix cost? I'll then convert it from PA to SF Bay Area prices, and ready myself for the shock.

Thanks,
Yes had the Door and Fender Removed. I am good friends with the owner for many years and has serviced many of my other vehicles. My price was $1,200 cash. This type of job normally at his shop is $2,400 on average. Lots of labor hours involved to get it done right the first time!
Old 11-28-2016, 08:41 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Yes had the Door and Fender Removed. I am good friends with the owner for many years and has serviced many of my other vehicles. My price was $1,200 cash. This type of job normally at his shop is $2,400 on average. Lots of labor hours involved to get it done right the first time!
A very nice job at an attractive price. Since the cost is mostly labor, my plan (when the time comes) is to do the repair myself after purchasing a TIG welder. I can then get a professional to repair the paint.
Cheers
Old 11-28-2016, 08:52 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanH
A very nice job at an attractive price. Since the cost is mostly labor, my plan (when the time comes) is to do the repair myself after purchasing a TIG welder. I can then get a professional to repair the paint.
Cheers
Thanks! Yeah if I would have more time in my life currently would have done it myself also. Time = money
Old 11-28-2016, 09:03 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Thanks! Yeah if I would have more time in my life currently would have done it myself also. Time = money
My problem is I don't trust anyone and I only use professionals grudgingly when I have no choice, like an alignment for instance. I find if I do my homework, use the right tools & parts and take my time I can do a better job than most people who get paid, it just takes me way longer. In the case of a proper welding repair and reinforcement, this would be one of the easier things for me.

Quick Reply: Survey : A fix for the dreaded door check strap..