Old 04-11-2023, 09:47 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
OE bolt is 8.8 for good reason.
Is the OE bolt an 8.8?

And if it is, what reason is it?

I didn't think over-speccing the bolt would be a problem.
Old 04-11-2023, 10:28 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 534 Posts

Yes, 900-082-030-02 is a grade 8.8 bolt (below is a picture of the OE fastener). "Over-speccing" in what regard? This is the issue here with the ignorance of a well-intended mechanic.

Yes a grade 10.9 bolt is "stronger" in weight carrying strength (our motors weigh a few hundred pounds btw, not tens of thousands). That said, a grade 10.9 bolt is also more "brittle" than a grade 8.8 bolt. This is particularly important when a bolt's application is in "shear" (at least some of the time). If you think about how the motor in our cars is suspended, you have the front of the motor mated to the transmission, which is attached to the car at the front of the trans. You then have the very rear of the motor suspended by these two bolts. Both an 8.8 or a 10.9 bolt can more than adequately hold the motor up while it's just sitting there (again the motor weighs relatively "nothing" as far as either bolt is concerned). The issue is the lateral forces being placed across these bolts attempting to "shear" (or "cut" them) as the motor is tossed around from corner to corner. In this regard, a 10.9 grade bolt is worse than an 8.8 grade bolt where, a 10.9 would be more likely to snap via shear given it is more brittle vs an 8.8 which can withstand a greater amount of deflection.

Will you ever have a problem? Who knows (there are too many variables here given the motor mounts themselves and the calculations are far beyond our reach). But I do know (I'm an engineer) that I would trust the bolt spec that Porsche has determined is appropriate for the application vs what some mechanic decided. I'm not trying to pull punches here, just pointing out that if the mechanic looked at the 8.8 bolts and thought somehow that Prekom was skimping out, I would give that serious reconsideration. They've spec'd exactly what Porsche did (for a reason). Things are not as simple as "higher grade = better".

Last edited by boomboomthump; 04-11-2023 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-11-2023, 10:44 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

Don't disagree with what you said there, but it's my 'ignorance'. I did the research, I specced the bolts not Prekom, or FVD.

I agree 10.9 is more brittle than an 8.8, but it's a tiny tiny difference, and you as an engineer know that.

Most 'car' bolts are 10.9 are they not? So (as above) I gave the mechanic the choice as I bought 8.8s and 10.9s, and I'm happy with his experience level.
Old 04-11-2023, 10:14 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMoon
Hi Bill,
can you describe the added supercharger noise? In more detail? Is it the latest version of the SC? I haven’t found anyone with a SCed 993 nearby to check out, but I’m thinking of getting one and trying to do as much research as possible.

sorry to hijack the thread! .
sent you a pm cosmosmoon
Old 04-12-2023, 08:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I have to believe there are hundreds of posts with nothing but positive comments on these…
The following users liked this post:
403portside (04-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Happy with RS Engine Mounts?