Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy with RS Engine Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 10:46 AM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

After 17 years of ownership I just installed RS mounts, FDM short shifter kit and FDM golden rod. These parts have transformed the way the car shifts and feels in a very positive way. I like the shift feel and how all the parts work together with very little extra NVH, the shifting is much crisper and precise.

The RS engine mount part number X (2) is 964-375-043-81
You will need (4) curved washers 901-305-311-00
RS engine washer X (4) 999-025-074-01
RS engine mount bolt X (2) 900-082-030-02
RS engine mount update X (4) PCC-025-134-02

I did not realize just how different the car would feel with this set up, you will not be disappointed with this upgrade!
The following users liked this post:
th964 (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 11:22 AM
th964
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

I ordered mine from ECS earlier last month - they have a kit with all the necessary parts! Note this is the Uro brand.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:24 AM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by th964
I ordered mine from ECS earlier last month - they have a kit with all the necessary parts! Note this is the Uro brand.
Uro does not have a good track record here. Hope yours turns out better.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:48 AM
climbernyc
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

RS Mounts, Rothsport shifter, GR, PSS10s, very direct shifting and no add’l NVH. I think my old engine mounts at 56k miles were past their prime.
Old 04-09-2023, 01:31 PM
Jeff Crowley
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Seconded. Do all 4 of these mods and you will really notice the change in our 25 plus year old cars !
asamuel302 (04-09-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 01:22 AM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did OEM cabriolet mounts in my 993 coupe. These are slightly stiffer and sort of split the difference. I did them back in 2012 and may redo them again. They also made a big difference. I have the FD SSK and golden rod. Very good value and quality. Mounts are easy and the ssk/rod are almost required.
Old 04-10-2023, 07:02 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 303 Posts

I have just done the RS mounts. I also felt the URO versions had some bad feedback, so after doing my own research I settled on Prekom from FVD in Europe.

Why Prekom? Well they specialize only in Porsche and Ferrari, are an official Porsche AG supplier - they may well make suspension parts that are supplied in a Porsche box... and now they are in the US

https://prekom.si/news/prekom-usa-po...in-the-states/

Really nice quality - I bought these through FVD a while back - but they've certainly gone up in price over the past year!
https://www.fvd.net/de-en/9643750438...93-rs-oem.html
Old 04-10-2023, 07:46 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 782 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecurry
I have just done the RS mounts. I also felt the URO versions had some bad feedback, so after doing my own research I settled on Prekom from FVD in Europe.

Why Prekom? Well they specialize only in Porsche and Ferrari, are an official Porsche AG supplier - they may well make suspension parts that are supplied in a Porsche box... and now they are in the US

Really nice quality - I bought these through FVD a while back - but they've certainly gone up in price over the past year!

I have these too. Excellent and stiffer but don't transmit to much vibration.
orangecurry (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 09:21 AM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by clib
a C2S with a supercharger which adds a lot of cabin noise, pss9 which add harshness to the ride, rs sway bars. I removed the cat and have fabspeed crosspipe with either none or sport cat which also ups the noise.
Hi Bill,
can you describe the added supercharger noise? In more detail? Is it the latest version of the SC? I haven’t found anyone with a SCed 993 nearby to check out, but I’m thinking of getting one and trying to do as much research as possible.

sorry to hijack the thread! So I’ll add that I have the Wevo semisolid mounts. I did a big suspension upgrade at the time that I installed them and that tightened everything up so it’s hard to isolate the effect of the mounts but the car is firm without being harsh or having any annoying vibration. I will mention that the Wevo mounts are simple and affordable while doing a good job but the design is a little different in that the bolt that comes down from the top is not affixed to the mount body... I.e it’s a through-bolt and not a stud. This is a little annoying because you have to hold it with a wrench from the top while tightening the nut from below (you can do it solo by wedging the upper wrench against the wall of the engine bay). The upside though is that when lifting a dropped engine, you can lift and wiggle the bolts around to get them into the holes on the engine cross brace then the engine can get pulled into place as you tighten the nuts.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:17 AM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 113 Posts

Super helpful. I noticed they have the same part number as the Porsche part, except the casing seems different/white? I thought I’d read somewhere that the casing material is diff from the official Porsche-branded part vs Prekom? Not sure what the practical impact of that is.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:36 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

I have only seen the 'genuine' Porsche OE mounts on sale today in photographs - yes the metal seems more grainy, or rougher in appearance, vs the Prekoms which are a very dense pale color, with very very good finishing.
I don't know who makes the 'genuine' Porsche mounts sold today in a Porsche box, but it won't be Porsche.

I don't have any other photos to hand - but I'm somewhat OCD when it comes to spares, and I'm very pleased with the quality of the Prekoms, as was the mechanic who fitted them. He did fit a 10.9 bolt which I supplied rather than the 8.8 shown here.

403portside (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 10:42 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

...just as an aside - the metal 'cup' or holder of the mounts is by far NOT the most important part, nor is it likely to fail on any of the options for sale today, no matter how cheap.

The key component is the rubber bushing of course. And that is what my research led me to - trusting Prekom, as that's basically what they make 'aftermarket' for only Porsches and Ferraris.
403portside (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 12:08 PM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

I have only seen the 'genuine' Porsche OE mounts on sale today in photographs - yes the metal seems more grainy, or rougher in appearance, vs the Prekoms which are a very dense pale color, with very very good finishing.
I don't know who makes the 'genuine' Porsche mounts sold today in a Porsche box, but it won't be Porsche.
ah, I see these also use a through-bolt design. The Wevo mounts are almost identical. I didn’t even know what the “real” RS mounts look like when I got mine - LOL! I had only seen the Rennlines and the standard OEM non-RS mounts
Old 04-11-2023, 07:18 AM
nk993
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

RS engine mounts are 100% worth it

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
This is a definite YES in my book. I've yet to come across one person that went to RS engine mounts and wasn't grinning ear to ear, leading them to say "gee, I really want to go back to sloppy hydraulic mounts".

Stiffer trans mount is where I'd draw the line, as that's something that folks generally do report some NVH changes but not so with RS engine mounts.
And not just RS tranny mounts...try ANY new transmission mounts. Not sure if they corrected the issue yet but Porsche had significant issues with their mounts they were supplying when I had the gearbox rebuilt 2 years ago. The one supplied was far far far stiffer than RS mounts (even though the builder ordered normal mounts and the part number printed on the mount was the normal one). They were even stiffer than rsr or cup car mounts, literally rock solid. Had to install an old used mount instead.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:19 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 563 Posts

...as was the mechanic who fitted them. He did fit a 10.9 bolt which I supplied rather than the 8.8 shown here.
Mechanics who think they're engineers. OE bolt is 8.8 for good reason.

On the Prekom stuff, very nice. I have OE RS mounts but the Prekom RSR tie rods I have are very nice quality indeed (cant buy OE anymore).

Last edited by boomboomthump; 04-11-2023 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Happy with RS Engine Mounts?