Date code on your new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 06:00 PM
jz993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Date code on your new tires?

I didn't want to hijack a thread, so here goes:
Knowing how um, "detail oriented" some p-car owners are, has anyone insisted when buying new tires that the date codes match on all 4, or that they be no more than 6 months old, say?
A friend's pickup had a defective tire, and although he was ultimately satisfied, the dealer had the nerve to bring up the date codes on the old tires, tho no notation of date codes were made at the time of sale, for the old or the new set.
I wonder what a dealers reaction would be if such a demand were made. I certainly would not pay the $$$ required of our HP tires if they were more than a year old.
Opinions?
Old 05-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be surprised at how old the "new" tires can be. A recent thread on the "Racing" board addressed this for MPSCs. A few of us recently received tires manufactured in mid-2001 from Tire Rack.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:44 PM
jz993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Tom. Anybody else???
Old 05-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Tom W
You'll be surprised at how old the "new" tires can be. A recent thread on the "Racing" board addressed this for MPSCs. A few of us recently received tires manufactured in mid-2001 from Tire Rack.
Yikes! I remember attending a talk by the (very informative and helpful, BTW) gentleman from Tire Rack where he talked about the importance of considering age as (almost?) equal to wear as a reason for tire replacement.

Quick Reply: Date code on your new tires?