Sponsored by:

Best In-dash MP3 "Jukebox" solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best In-dash MP3 "Jukebox" solution

I have read a lot of threads with Ipaqs and Ipods being used as auxiliary players linked to head units via Aux leads, a casette head adappter or FM transmitter.

Whilst this would be a quick way to utilise my exisiting stereo & MP3 player, I would prefer to have everything via the main head unit.

The ideal setup would be a CD/Radio Head Unit linked to a "hard-drive"-style unit that holds either OGG files (preferably) or MP3.

Kenwood offer the Music Keg which is a 20GB plug-in cartridge that sits like a CD Changer in the trunk and which you remove and attach to your PC.

Before I go further on this I wanted to check back with everybody here to see what others are trying (or using!).

I have been a bit of an Alpine convert for the last 7 years but I am aways open to new brands/ideas.

Anyone?

Regards

Mike
Old 05-12-2004, 09:31 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

If you're an alpine fan you should be all set - they're supposed to be releasing iPod controlling head units this summer, then you can put the iPod anywhere you want and use the Alpine display. Should work at least as well as the Kenwood unit and you can use the iPod by itself, to boot.

Neither the Kenwood nor the iPod will play Ogg files, though.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:03 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Default phatbox/music keg

i have a phatbox in my bimmer and i'm very pleased with it. i believe the 'cd changer' in trunk is same as music keg. the phatbox uses the bmw stock HU. i also believe that the CDR-220 is compatible, allowing you to use a porsche HU if thats your preference. the phatbox has a voice interface for some HU's, which i happen to like. no need to read text while driving , which i think is a good thing considering the ergonomic placement of the porsche HU.

here's a link:

phatbox for porsche
Old 05-12-2004, 10:15 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a pioneer DEH-P77MP3 head unit that plays the MP3s and WMAs off a CD. So I just use a CD-R with my MP3 files on that. It's a lot neater than adding cradles and wires for an external player and quite cheap, I paid £215 for the head unit in December. I notice that they are doning some models that read memory cards/sticks and some that have intenal hard disks, but i like the simple look of the DEH-P77MP3, and for me using CD-Rs is as much as i need.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:26 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Phatbox in the S6 and may get one for a 993 as well. The Phatbox is compatible with the Traffic Pro and the CDR220 - w/ the TP you get voice and text interface, with the CDR you get voice only. You can get the older TP for less than $500 and a used CDR off ebay for $150-250; unfortunately the Phatbox is available only from Phatnoise so it's a bit pricey compared to the Kenwood labelled units.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh, thanks.

As usual I can rely on Rennlist to help me while away a few hours on a quiet tuesday!

GabiOsz what web-site lists the Hard/drive memory card Pioneers? I considered the CD-R Route but I've had multiple CD-R's turn into coasters so I want to skip the "re-mediafication" process.

The Phatbox sounds good as well. I'll see if this can work with a Head unit I like.

Thanks to all. Any other suggestions from other Rennlisters welcome.

Regards

Mike
Old 05-12-2004, 01:56 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Here you go, the models that do MP3s are suffixed with MP

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...6_4035,00.html
Old 05-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I decided to go with a Becker Monza - initially, I was going to purchase a Phatbox (or something similar) but determined that for my use having MP3s on CDs was acceptable and I was really wanting a factory looking head unit (see below).
Also, when I was making my decision I wasn't completely comfortable with Phatnoise's long term viability as a company. I'm not sure how well they're funded at this point - hopefully they'll flourish and do very well.

Quick Reply: Best In-dash MP3 "Jukebox" solution