Sponsored by:

Varioram down to earth

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 08:36 AM
993SP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Varioram down to earth

I have search through all the great forum, regarding to Varioram or not to Varioram, and with all that good information I know the chipleable posibilities of the non Varioram, and the more mid range torque of the Varioram ones, etc...

Down to earth, is that difference so material that I, normal weekend driver, 2 track days per week will notice it? or is just sligtly difference for the racer guys.

I have found a car which meets my expectations of condition, kilometers and color, but is not a Varioram.

Shall I go for it or wait for a varioram model?

Thanks and regards
Old 05-12-2004, 08:37 AM
993SP
Intermediate

Two track days per year obviously
Old 05-12-2004, 08:51 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally, having owned 993s with both, it's slightly noticeable but I have never missed it in the non-Varioram cars I've owned. Chip the earlier car and it's a wash, in my opinion.

Vic
95 C2
Old 05-12-2004, 09:34 AM
deleonl1
Racer

Or get the non-Varioram now and supercharge it later. When supercharging, all the Varioram stuff comes out anyway.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

993SP,

If you've found a '95 that meets your "buy criteria," then don't worry about the Varioram. If, on the other hand, you are always going to be sorry that you didn't get the Varioram engine, then wait. Driving around town at normal traffic speeds there really isn't a noticeable difference. On the track at full throttle, there isn't much of a difference either. The Varioram engines sound a little different when they cycle through the two Varioram phases and there is the pleasure of knowing you have it.

You are not going to get beaten at the track or between the traffic lights by a 993 with Varioram just because it has Varioram. Performance seems to be pretty equal although a side by side comparison of the HP and torque graphs would suggest otherwise.

Hank
Old 05-12-2004, 10:29 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Some of have said that there is a difference between vario and non. I've never driven them back-to-back. I'm guessing the car you're looking at is a '95, which is more easily chippable than the later cars. Check out Steve Weiner's Rennsport chip if you want to close the gap.

If you really like the car you're looking at except for the vario, you can always put it on later, although it won't be cheap.

Don't forget that some 96-98 vario cars with OBD II have had some vexsome CEL issues related to the secondary air injectors.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:33 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one 993 cab (Euro MY94) without varioram and one (US MY98) with....if you've found an otherwise good car, I would say get it even if it doesn't have varioram...the price difference doesn't justify it.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
Two track days a year...LOL...yeah right....just wait until you do one...then we'll see how many you do....hah....a
Before I bought the 993, I thought two events per year would do it for me. Little did I realize how wrong I was and how my life seems to revolve around racing this car.

Some of us obviously get bitten hard!
Old 05-12-2004, 01:34 PM
cmoss

Too funny! I'd buy track days on a street corner from crack-head in an overcoat... It is that adictive.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:21 PM
H. Miller
Racer

I've owned a 95 and now own a 96. Personally, I see little difference and in fact I think all cars vary a little in performance. If the car you're considering is what you want in other ways, go for it.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:42 AM
Feehliks
Instructor

I have purchased a non-varioram just a month ago and deliberated quite a bit about this issue. I have driven both and the difference is not so noticeable when it comes to peak performance as it is rather with midrange torque. The non-varioram engine delivers a much more noticeable punch going beyond 4500 U/min, which is actually quite fun. A G50.21 non-varioram has the same acceleration figures as a G50.20 varioram, by the way. And a 5 kph lower topspeed doesn't even matter on German highways.

For the sake of completeness, it shoud be noted, that the varioram engine has marginally larger valves. So it is hard to tell, what varioram itself really contributes. It was discontinued in the 996, which has pretty much a pre-varioram intake.

If the non-varioram car is alright, I definitely do not consider missing varioram as a k.o.-criteria. It doesn't matter, there are many other important issues to watch.

Best regards

Felix

Last edited by Feehliks; 05-16-2004 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Varioram down to earth