Sponsored by:

Door Window Frame Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 06:05 AM
nk993
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Door Window Frame Adjustment

Does anyone know a correct procedure for adjusting the window frame that is NOT trial and error ?

To be clear, I know how to move it around and exactly which bolt does what.

I’m just wondering how do you figure out if you did it correctly without driving the car around every single time listening for wind noise. I saw on one thread on pelican someone suggested that you should be able to slide a piece of paper from the inside out in every spot between the frame and chassis. That definitely did not work for me and made the wind noise worse.

I am assuming there is some way to get the frame aligned perfectly correctly in place without testing because I don’t think the factory was doing trial and error after assembly…

for the avoidance of doubt: door itself is perfectly aligned and seals are new. Just asking about correct procedure for window frame, not how to combat wind noise

Last edited by nk993; 01-15-2023 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:22 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 563 Posts

Struggled to find the same info when I went to install my window frames after bare metal repaint of the car. After a bunch of fiddling, I have them 90% there and moved on (still getting the car back together). Definitely need to revisit this.

There is no info in the 993 service manual. The table of contents say section 57 under "Body" volume has all the door info but this section is not even printed. Folks say you need to sometimes refer to older service manuals if the information is the same (ie.. they didn't bother reprinting in the new versions if nothing has changed). Makes sense, in theory.

So I looked in the 964 service manual. There is a section 57 under the "Body" volume, which is supposed to cover dismantling and reinstalling the door components. Well, the only info there is an exploded diagram of the parts and the only mention of the window frame is "unbolt and slide up/out from door". Lastly, "installation is the reverse of disassembly".

I then looked in a G-body service manual and the very first 911. No dice either. Gave up.

Last edited by boomboomthump; 01-15-2023 at 01:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nk993 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 11:24 AM
nk993
Racer

ya the lack of instructions anywhere is pretty infuriating. The frames haven't changed much since the g body or early 911s so anything would work realistically.

I live a good 25-30 mins away from the closest road where I can exceed 30mph so getting in and testing every minor change is pretty impractical.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:50 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Hi NK,
I looked back to the '65, '72 and the SC shop manuals. no detailed procedure to hang the door, just adjust as needed notes. Does cover how to remove and install the internal door parts and window/frame in detail
Andy
Old 01-16-2023, 11:01 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
Hi NK,
I looked back to the '65, '72 and the SC shop manuals. no detailed procedure to hang the door, just adjust as needed notes. Does cover how to remove and install the internal door parts and window/frame in detail
Andy

Well that is what we're discussing here (the window frame). It is even the title the of the thread. No one is discussing hanging the door.

If the shop manuals have instructions on how to adjust the window frame "in detail", please post the information as I've looked in all the manuals, as noted above, and came up empty-handed.
nk993 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 03:22 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 310 Posts

I went through tis in 2020 after a down to metal, windows out repaint. Its a PIA!!!!! first you have to get the frame right, then you may need to adjust the glass mechanisms so the window sits in the channel properly. I took the door panel off and drove around for a week until I got it right- only affected the driver door thankfully!
Old 01-18-2023, 03:27 PM
nk993
Racer

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
I went through tis in 2020 after a down to metal, windows out repaint. Its a PIA!!!!! first you have to get the frame right, then you may need to adjust the glass mechanisms so the window sits in the channel properly. I took the door panel off and drove around for a week until I got it right- only affected the driver door thankfully!
haha ya that’s what I’m trying to avoid.

For getting the frame right, how did you know you got it right ? It seems like people just eyeball it and say “meh, looks same as other side and roughly even” which I assume the factory didn’t do (or maybe they did).

for glass mechanism, why did you have to adjust it? Are you referring just to the window height ? (Ie if you raised the frame you then raise window height) or was there another adjustment that can be made to the window?

Old 01-19-2023, 08:14 AM
nk993
Racer

I found this. It has some instructions even for coupes.

but ya it hasn’t helped me…it seems even factory relied on experience and user judgement
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
targaroofrepairs.pdf (4.40 MB, 42 views)
flyweight (08-28-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 08:57 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Andy has the detailed info that no one else has. Waiting...
Old 01-19-2023, 11:57 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by nk993
haha ya that’s what I’m trying to avoid.

For getting the frame right, how did you know you got it right ? It seems like people just eyeball it and say “meh, looks same as other side and roughly even” which I assume the factory didn’t do (or maybe they did).

for glass mechanism, why did you have to adjust it? Are you referring just to the window height ? (Ie if you raised the frame you then raise window height) or was there another adjustment that can be made to the window?
Well, when the frame was seated evenly against the seal- i had brand new seals on both doors too- I know it was right. I sprayed the door frame with water, shut the door and looked for gaps where the water didn't leave a mark on the seal or was not as present.

With regard to the wind- yes- height- but also ensuring it sat evenly in the rail. there's a couple of bolts on the mechanism that have a bit of play in them- that wasn't the hard part!
nk993 (01-19-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 12:40 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

@pp000830 where is Andy?

We're still waiting on the detailed info he mentioned above. No one else has it except for him and he's ignoring this thread.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:35 PM
Matsuzaka
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

My mechanic is a factory trained and when I asked him about the wind noise problem I was having with my 930 he told me that factory told him to make small adjustments by using muscle force.
Funnily he asked me not to hold him responsible if the triangle window happened to break while he was impact pushing the upper part of the frame inward.
It did fix the problem.

Quick Reply: Door Window Frame Adjustment