Sponsored by:

New (to me anyway) TT in my garage

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 07:52 PM
Craig Chase
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New (to me anyway) TT in my garage

Well, I picked up an arctic silver '97 TT today (from RPM Sports Cars in Houston, if folks are interested). What a long strange trip it was, this shopping experience. Hours and hours looking at autotrader, cars.com, eBay, etc. Spreadsheets, budgets and several "discussions" with my wife. Cars I was ready to buy, and feeling like I'd just been dumped by a steady girlfriend when they "didn't work out" (for one reason or another).

In fact, there's this eerie sensation like I've become delusional and imagined the whole purchase -- supplemented by some kind of post-stress syndrome. I felt more tension and nervousness over this car than when I got married.

Anyway, tomorrow will bring a new day, and there will still be a silver TT in my garage. Maybe the weather will even improve to the point where I can wash off the drizzle-driven road-grime that we picked up over the 170 miles from Houston. It doesn't matter, I'll find an excuse to take it somewhere, rain or shine. My new air-cooled mistress and I will have our rendevous on some back road in Austin when all the good folk are at church.

Let the smiles begin.

Craig
--
'97 arctic silver 993TT
Old 02-08-2003, 08:15 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats...They are wonderful cars. I personally had a 97TT and loved it. I tuned her to 540HP and never could get the silly grin off my face.
Congrats again.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:30 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I had the same wild adventure when looking for a Porsche. I started with a 993 C2, then saw that the C2S was almost within reach, then saw the TT prices tumble into the area where it was merely a nutty thing to do rather than a bank-breaker. I must say, however, that I loved the chase, and was a little let down as the deal finally came to a close.

Now I've had my TT for 2 months, and I love this car. Mine has medium-high miles (51,000), so I don't mind putting some miles on it. In fact, my 15 year-old son (with learner's permit) and I took our new purchase to Northern Arizona for a "guy roadtrip" and we shared the driving. I just can't see how it can get any better than that!

Congrats on your car. And beware of Stephen in the above post. He is like a drug pusher. He already hooked my up with a used Gemballa ECU which pushes me out to about 440 or 450 HP. It is great, but now I want MORE! Actually, he was really helpful with my myriad of questions... a great source.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Seljan
Pro

Congrats on the purchase..I've had my TT just a little over a year now.The worst part of owning it,is watching the garage door shut when I have to put it away for the night.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:42 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question: What car gives more smiles per mile than a 993 Cab?

Answer: A 993 TT

Congratulations! Swing by and I can show you some really nice roads - and its 72F and not a cloud in the sky over here. Same forecast for tomorrow. You can be here by sunrise if you leave now.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats, TT's are great cars.

Jeff
Old 02-08-2003, 10:17 PM
dcpmark
Racer

Congrats, Craig! I am assuming you got the one with around 30k miles on it.......can I ask what the final price tag was? The reason I ask is that their advertised price was a little high, I thought. Feel free to send me an email if you don't want to post it.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 442 Posts
What a long strange trip... I can relate! I just went through a very similar experience. It left me pretty shell shocked in the end. I get to drive my C4S on the occasional snow free day after buying it a month ago and I can't believe what a joy it is, compared to my 88 911 of 5 years. I always expect it to have the same peculiar quirks as my 88, then I get in it and remember they're all gone, they've all been fixed in this 96 car.

Congrats on your beautiful beast. I saw an Arctic 993 TT at The Collection in Miami a few years ago on the showroom floor with a red interior that blew me away. I knew one day, I would like to own one. I just got a car that's half way there...

Maybe, one day...
Steve

("Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there" - Box of Rain - Grateful Dead)
Old 02-09-2003, 01:43 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts
Absolute power corrupts...until you get a Valentine One.

Congratulations on your killer beast. Be prepared for more laugh lines around your mouth and a hoarse voice from screaming with joy.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm still happy with my decision to keep my 96 993 Carrera 2 cabriolet, but damn it if you guys aren't making me jealous!!! That is the only car I would sell mine for....

Oh well, I'll just wait for it to warm up and put the top down and go for a spin. That might make me feel better.

Enjoy your beasts!!

Robert
Old 02-09-2003, 06:51 PM
Seljan
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Mark in Baltimore:
<strong>Absolute power corrupts...until you get a Valentine One.

Congratulations on your killer beast. Be prepared for more laugh lines around your mouth and a hoarse voice from screaming with joy.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Here i will comment..as good as the Valentine is..they don't pickup signals from the air
Along with the Valentine.I have a jammer..which I am sure has saved my bacon a few times.And to top it off,I have the filter lense over my rear license plate.All this technology simply leads a person into a false sense of security.I average 2 tickets a year..
Old 02-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Craig Chase
Track Day

OK, after two days (and the sun has come out!) I have a few questions for the experts.

First, and most significantly, how much longer am I going be walking around constantly fighting the urge to shout "I've got a turbo, I've got a turbo"? The silly smirk on my face, and all the muttering I've been doing under my breath has my colleagues a little concerned for my well being.

Next, does anyone know the history or reason for the relative positioning of the brake and throttle pedals? Old habits die hard, and I tried a couple of times to heel-toe it, and almost twisted my ankle. Heck, my Dodge pickup truck is easier to heel-toe. My wife's Boxster was the same way, and I have limited experience with other Porsches. I used to race an Rx7, and never had to bend or change a pedal on any of the Mazdas. Why does Porsche position the brake pedal so "high" relative to the throttle?

Any child seat advice would also be most welcome. I've checked the archives and am sending a couple of PMs. I'm interested in any other reviews of the Simpson seat, and any thoughts on how to ensure that my toddler's feet cannot reach the back of the passenger seat (she's too small (25 lbs) for the Porsche zoom/comfy -- needs a 5-point harness).

Finally, anyone who knows to whom I should send an email to get my rennlist member status included in my postings, please send me a PM. I've tried this in the past, but received no reply and no status change.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:19 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Craig,

Geez, I dunno. I've had mine for two months, and look for excuses to sneak into the garage and turn on the lights and just stare at those beautiful lines. I've made the office at home into a Porsche "shrine", and even nailed the unused front license plate to the wall (993 TWIN). My wife is ready to have me committed.

I found the pedals very easy to heel and toe without modification. Those pedals are height adjustable, so maybe yours are just out of whack. I would take care of that right away... I can't STAND rough downshifts.

Congrats on your newest baby.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Craig Chase
Track Day

P.S. I saw the excellent recent postings on adjusting the pedals, I was just wondering if anyone knew the factory rationalization for setting them up that way in the first place.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:41 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seljan,
If I remember correctly, you wrote in a post some time ago that if you could keep just one of your 993s, you would keep the Cab over the TT. Why? The only car I could see replacing my 993 Coupe with is a TT. I'm not sure that I'd enjoy it more, though. Obviously it's faster, but my car is still very quick and I like the lighter weight and RWD handling.

Quick Reply: New (to me anyway) TT in my garage